PDA

View Full Version : Any Bikers in Here (Elc Problem) HELP

Bert Kemp
05-28-2016, 10:05 AM
I have a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe ,yesterday after riding for a few hours and making several stops , I made a stop and turned off the key , the motor shut down but my lights and dash lights stayed on. I tried several times turning key on and off but the lights stayed on.
Any Idea what caused this. I had to disconnect battery the get every thing off:confused:

Michael Weber
05-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Ride through any rain? Could be a faulty ignition switch. Lots of internal connections and contacts. Can't find a wiring diagram for your model

Bert Kemp
05-28-2016, 12:10 PM
No rain here

Ride through any rain? Could be a faulty ignition switch. Lots of internal connections and contacts. Can't find a wiring diagram for your model

Erik Loza
05-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Just thinking out loud: Relay either failed open or circuit shorted someplace else?

Erik

Bert Kemp
05-28-2016, 1:50 PM
were would the relay be found??

Michael Weber
05-28-2016, 3:16 PM
If you have a volt meter or bulb you can detect voltage with, measure between ground and the input side of your fuse block. With the switch off there should not be any voltage. If there is voltage or the test bulb lights then I'd say ignition switch. I'm basing that on my 98 Valkyrie and have no experience with Yahama. Still, I don't think you would have voltage to the fuse block on any bike with the ignition off. YMMV. Thank you for your service.
amended to ask if you apply brakes with ignition off do the brake lights come on?

Dennis Peacock
05-30-2016, 4:18 PM
were would the relay be found??

Most times, under the seat or behind the right-side cover. There are also several wiring connections in the headlight bucket as well.

Bert Kemp
05-30-2016, 4:27 PM
for now we wired a switch on the battery to shut everything off I'll get it ti shop this week I hope.

Rod Sheridan
05-30-2016, 4:34 PM
Hi Bert, since it shut off once you disconnected the battery, it probably isn't a stuck relay, or switch problem, it sounds like an onboard computer kept the lights on.

I have a new BMW that occasionally flattens the battery by turning something on in the middle of the night.....................Regards, Rod.

Bert Kemp
05-30-2016, 5:24 PM
I don't think theres any computers on this bike.

Hi Bert, since it shut off once you disconnected the battery, it probably isn't a stuck relay, or switch problem, it sounds like an onboard computer kept the lights on.

I have a new BMW that occasionally flattens the battery by turning something on in the middle of the night.....................Regards, Rod.