PDA

View Full Version : Not my greatest project....not even "My" project....

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Our youngest son is currently stationed at NAS Lemoore. He and his lovely wife have twin 6 year old daughters and a soon-to-be 4 year old son. The kids and Mommy lived with us for 4 months while Dad was finding a house in late 2014. The kids go to a Montessori school. They are out for 3 weeks in a couple weeks. They wanted to visit with Nanny and Pawpaw. Nanny thought they needed some shop time with Pawpaw.

Researching online I was able to find what birds are native to their area and plans for an appropriate bird house. I bought some red cedar, cut the parts to size, drilled a hole for a door way and then I clamped the houses together so I could drill a hole for each of the 16 nails needed to assemble it.

The top will be held on with miniature hinges and latches will keep the top locked in the down place. The hinged top will allow for occasional cleaning.

I ordered the brass hinges and latches from Woodworkers Hardware where I purchase most of my hardware. The hardware arrived yesterday and one of the hinge packages had been opened and the 12 brass screws had been removed. Last night I sent an email to WWH to which I received a response this morning. The screws will be on their way today. Kudos WWH!

With the predrilled holes to hold the nails, the little ones should be able to hammer those 16 nails and assemble their first woodworking project.

Pictures when the projects completed by the little ones.

Dennis Peacock
05-27-2016, 3:49 PM
Love it Ken!!! Nothing like involving them with such a worth project. Good on ya.!!

Jim Becker
05-27-2016, 8:46 PM
Sounds like an excellent way to get some shop time with the grand-kiddos!