PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Fir

Michael Armstrong
05-27-2016, 12:09 AM
A friend asked if I was up for a challenge and he gave me a Douglas Fir blank. It certainly was a challenge since it had a large resin band running through it. I decided to make part of it into a hummingbird feeder and the rest into a pepper mill. Sanding was interesting as it clogged the paper up pretty quickly. I wiped both projects down with mineral spirits and then sealed them with dewaxed shellac before applying the final finishes. The feeder gor 6 dip coats of General outdoor finish and the mill has 7 coats of an all natural, environmentally friendly oil finish. Pretty pleased with the way both turned out.

Thanks for looking.
Michael

David Delo
05-27-2016, 6:37 AM
I'd say you met the challenge very well Michael. Both forms highlight the grain pattern. Very pretty.

Michael Armstrong
05-27-2016, 8:03 AM
Thanks David.

Michael

John K Jordan
05-27-2016, 9:09 AM
These look great! I've avoided turning Douglas Fir and some "fat" pine for years now. Maybe I'll break down and try it now.

JKJ

Prashun Patel
05-27-2016, 10:13 AM
The form at the left makes me a tad uncomfortable ;)

The grain presentation in both pieces is so wonderful; I aspire to that. Nicely done!

Doug Ladendorf
05-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Nice job Michael. That sure has striking grain. Do you think that finish will last in the outdoors?

The form at the left makes me a tad uncomfortable ;)

Aaaannd now me too. Thanks… :eek: :rolleyes:

Michael Armstrong
05-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the comments. Many people have mentioned the shape of my feeders - hmmm didn't realize there were so many minds out there that worked that way!;)

I have been using this finish for a number of years now and it stands up really well. It may also be due to the fact that I dip coat the feeders so each coat is a thick, full coat. The ash feeder we have hanging outside our window has been up for about 15 years. I've sanded and recoated it would once so I'd say that is a pretty good record. I've probably sold at least 300 of these and never had anyone complain about the finish not holding up.

Michael

robert baccus
05-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Fat pine, lighter pine, resinous pine sands well with soapy water sanding on the lathe--no problem.

Sadhaka Nilakantha
05-28-2016, 12:25 AM
Nice job on the Douglas Fir. I had no idea it could look so handsome. I think I might try some some day. Very nice!