PDA

View Full Version : Laser System

Charles Webber
05-26-2016, 8:03 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been having a hard time finding information out about laser systems. I want to purchase one, but I have a requirement that is giving me a hard time to find one to accommodate it. Right now I have a product that is on a 1x10 board. But the board is 70 inches long. I need the system to burn lines, letters, and numbers along the board. Is anyone aware of a laser system that either the sides open up so you can pass the board through and burn sections? Or can I modify a system myself to allow this to work? I know these systems are pretty expensive, but I am willing to invest in one. I appreciate any info.

Also, many of you helped me with advice on building a farm table on another thread. I had finished the table and my wife and I both love it. It turned out great! I tried to load pictures so everyone could see but it tells me the pictures are too big. If I can figure it out, I will load them. Thanks!

Chuck

Rich Harman
05-26-2016, 8:20 PM
What you need is a pass-through. It's a pretty common thing - but it is the front and back that open up, not the sides.

Bert Kemp
05-26-2016, 8:50 PM
Check out Rabbit Laser USA they have pass thru doors

Wilbur Harris
05-26-2016, 9:02 PM
Can you accurately reposition the board or does it matter if you're off a skosh? I seem to remember a machine that had an auto feed. If you've got enough cash just get a machine that will travel the whole piece...one of those open top deals...expensive deals.

David Somers
05-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Chuck,

Whoever you buy from remember to ask an important question. Is that 1" board the thickest thing you need to run through it? If yes, looking at my laser which is a 900x600 bed, the pass through doors are 2.5" tall. However......if I use the standard 50mm lens in it I do NOT have clearance between the bottom of the laser cone, plus the focal length of the lens to clear that high an object. I would need to go down to a shorter focal length lens which for a common size like a 1.5" lens would gain me a half inch and clear the board. You want to be sure the pass through doors AND the clearance from your focal point of the lens will cover your needs. In most case the Chinese envisioned some sort of paper stock or fabric or veneer or thing ply going through the pass through, not something as thick as a 1" board or greater. If you need to insure greater clearance you will need whoever you buy from to modify the unit so that the bottom of the pass through door goes low enough so that you have enough clearance. If you are looking at a direct from China purchase you will want to be especially careful that they understand what you want. If you buy from Rabbit as Bert suggested above he would likely have to get a case made and shipped in, or have a shop modify the existing case for you. But at least with Ray Scott at Rabbit you are working in English and working with someone who is US based and takes care of his customers.

Hope that helps!

Oh.....one other thought. As you look at machines, including the style Wilbur is suggesting with the open bed, you might also consider all your needs for work and if a laser is the best bet or perhaps a 4x8 foot CNC might be more appropriate, one of those would likely be far less expensive than one of the machines Wilbur suggested. or perhaps some other technology all together? I assume you are not looking at this machine solely for the production of that 1x10x7ft board product?

Dave

Bert Kemp
05-26-2016, 11:18 PM
Dave good point and after reading your post I checked my machine and open the back door for the first time. I got a 1 inch board and ran it thru the door I have enough room for it and can focus my lens no problem. an inch thick board:) would be close to the limit maybe you could get 1-1/4 but its close but 1 inch should not be a problem. Edit ......if I raise my lens tube you can get a little more.

Tony Lenkic
05-26-2016, 11:31 PM
ULS laser has the machine you are looking for. It is big enough that you don't need that feature but it is there.
See the video.............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poQDoeIG8Ic

Bert Kemp
05-26-2016, 11:39 PM
Didn't say anything about how thick material could be and what they showed was like 1/4 or less.

ULS laser has the machine you are looking for. It is big enough that you don't need that feature but it is there.
See the video.............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poQDoeIG8Ic

Tony Lenkic
05-27-2016, 7:52 AM
Bert,

Spects say 8" clearance and set focal distance with lens it is equipped with.
Did you see guy dropping down side doors? Plenty of height.

Bill George
05-27-2016, 8:57 AM
Are you just burning images or text in the boards? My new Diode laser at 6 watts could be placed on a board of any length and then moved along as needed. Granted its slow, but I have less than $600 invested. Yes you would need to put shielding colored acrylic box around the machine to prevent danger from laser light.

I really have not had time to work with it as I had other things to do.

George M. Perzel
05-27-2016, 9:25 AM
Hi Charles; If you make multiples of the same product you may want to consider a dual head system- incremental cost is small and output doubles! Best Regards, George Laserarts

Bert Kemp
05-27-2016, 9:26 AM
OK It didn't mention anything in the video, I went to website and saw spec's. ? whats that machine cost 30K or more I bet.

Bert,

Spects say 8" clearance and set focal distance with lens it is equipped with.
Did you see guy dropping down side doors? Plenty of height.

Tony Lenkic
05-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Depending on wattage I would say 50K and up

gary l roberts
05-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Please go look at an AP laser. I think its design will solve your issue for under 20,000. The machine is designed to burn under the cabinet as in monuments, floors etc. as i sets over the top of the item being burned.

Tony Lenkic
05-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Please go look at an AP laser. I think its design will solve your issue for under 20,000. The machine is designed to burn under the cabinet as in monuments, floors etc. as i sets over the top of the item being burned.

There are some questionable reviews on AP laser. Please research before buying.

Charles Webber
05-27-2016, 12:30 PM
A lot of great info from all of you. Thanks! I am a little overwhelmed as a laser system is completely new to me. I know nothing about them. I was hoping to stay below $20k.

I am going to do some research on rabbit, ULS, and AP and get back to you All.

The CNC would be a nice touch, but it would then have to be burnt in afterward. So I don't think it would work.

I will also look into the diode laser.

Thanks again!

Brian Robison
05-27-2016, 1:04 PM
I have a Rabbit, feel free to ask me anything.

Jerome Stanek
05-27-2016, 2:15 PM
There are many lasers out there that have pass trough some ore on the side and some are front and back

John Bion
05-27-2016, 2:31 PM
Weike custom made my pass through doors for me. I have 250mm to play with. If this is of interest just drop Lucy an email. I could upload some pictures if you would like. My one comment would be that if you were to use this system repeatedly you would have to make up a jig you can efficiently keep changing the boards position over on for Accuracies sake. I once made mesure that was about 7' long but got one of my board changes 1" out on the scale, so accurate jigs are important! Under $10 000.