PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question re: weight

Adam Less
05-26-2016, 1:13 AM
I have a 6040 Weike laser arriving in a couple of days. Because I have a door too small to bring the laser through, I have to remove a 4x6 window and bring the laser through that. With that said, the window is 33" off the ground and my intention is to uncrate the laser in the bed of my pick up (which sits 33" off the ground), then back up to the window opening, with the window out, and lift the laser through the window. (Two of us lifting). Is this feasible? Not sure if it's too heavy to lift off my truck and through the window into the room where it will stay.

Any thoughts?

Keith Downing
05-26-2016, 1:24 AM
I think it's going to be heavier (and bulkier in general) than you think it will be. And you don't want to drop it.

Do you have the exact specs on the 6040 you ordered? The generic Alibaba listing for it has it at just under 500 lbs....

Keith Downing
05-26-2016, 1:26 AM
Is this into a shop? Could you build a very low grade ramp on the inside of the window? The casters on the bottom of the machine are usually pretty robust. It would be easy to lower down a ramp but dead-lifting it with just a couple guys is going to be stressful at best.

Adam Less
05-26-2016, 1:40 AM
It says 150kg so 330 pounds. Two guys should be able to dead lift 330 pounds, no?

Rich Harman
05-26-2016, 1:49 AM
Mine is considerably larger and it can be lifted by two (determined) people. However, generally people will separate the top from the bottom half and just move the two sections individually by turning them sideways.

Adam Less
05-26-2016, 2:06 AM
Weike says the top and bottom don't come apart. I'm guessing they're welded.

Keith Downing
05-26-2016, 2:16 AM
It says 150kg so 330 pounds. Two guys should be able to dead lift 330 pounds, no?

Can you do it, probably. Is there a chance something could go wrong, definitely.

If it's impossible to get another able bodied guy to help, I'd have a backup plan. But I usually take the safe route these days. I'm sure others would say to just lift it.

Rich Harman
05-26-2016, 2:40 AM
Weike says the top and bottom don't come apart. I'm guessing they're welded.

In that case I would probably lay it on its back and slide it down a ramp made of a couple planks or piece of plywood. Not really any "lifting" involved if the truck bed is the same height as the window sill. Some old blankets or carpet scraps would be useful too.

Jerome Stanek
05-26-2016, 7:50 AM
I would ramp both to the window from the truck and down to the floor using a come along to slowly winch it down the inside ramp

Keith Winter
05-26-2016, 8:51 AM
No way. Those lasers weight much more than 2 people can lift. 4 people maybe but you're still risking a lot, the metal on those machines is thin thin thin, and the components are all fragile. Chances are very high you will break something. Make some sort of ramp to unload it with and tie something to it to control the descent with a 3rd person holding onto that rope or whatever you've tied on it. If you use a rope be sure to put blankets or towels around the machine first so you don't rope burn it. Once you get it into the room is that window 33" off the floor on the inside too or level with the ground?

I have a 6040 Weike laser arriving in a couple of days. Because I have a door too small to bring the laser through, I have to remove a 4x6 window and bring the laser through that. With that said, the window is 33" off the ground and my intention is to uncrate the laser in the bed of my pick up (which sits 33" off the ground), then back up to the window opening, with the window out, and lift the laser through the window. (Two of us lifting). Is this feasible? Not sure if it's too heavy to lift off my truck and through the window into the room where it will stay.

Any thoughts?

Adam Less
05-26-2016, 10:45 AM
It's the same height inside. I might use my quad ramp. I don't think I'd be comfortable 'tipping' it on its side and risk parts inside all getting messed up. 330 pounds doesn't seem that extreme to lift for two guys if we're really just lowering it. Guess we'll find out!

Matt McCoy
05-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Hey Adam: I have an LG6040N. The legs are detachable and two guys can pretty easily load/unload from a truck. I'll assume the tube won't be installed, but I wouldn't use the housing that extends from the cabinet to lift the laser. I haven't been keeping up, so not sure if this will apply to your situation.

Bill George
05-26-2016, 1:22 PM
It will need to be uncrated if you did not plan on already. Some of those crates are huge and a bugger to take apart in a limited area, like the back of a pickup. That's a lot of weight for just two people. I have some of those padded 4 wheel dollies to move things around on.

Kev Williams
05-26-2016, 1:27 PM
Think about the last time you picked up an 80# bag of cement. I'm old & fat, and it's all I can do to deadlift a bag and get it in my truck...

now add 73 more pounds, and that's what each of 2 souls must lift... not pleasant!

LIFTING 330 pounds and MANEUVERING 330 pounds are 2 different things!

I fully planned on bringing the Explorer down into my basement. It weighs around 300 pounds. About 30 seconds of 'test muckling' the thing convinced me it was staying in the garage.. ;)

Gary Hair
05-26-2016, 1:42 PM
I fully planned on bringing the Explorer down into my basement. It weighs around 300 pounds. About 30 seconds of 'test muckling' the thing convinced me it was staying in the garage.. ;)

Come on Kev, my wife and I moved that machine many times. Believe it or not, I lifted it onto the pallet by myself!

Clark Pace
05-26-2016, 3:29 PM
My wife and would. Not be able to lift outs. I got 4 people.

David Somers
05-26-2016, 3:40 PM
Here's a thought. While you can certainly lift that with two healthy people, as others have said, maneuvering it will be harder.

How about going down to the local rental shop and renting two, forklift style lifts. Sometimes they are called lift trucks. I know them here as Genie lifts. It is a tall, wheeled lift with a wide base for stability, and forks that will raise up quite a height and can normally handle 400 to 500 lbs at least. They are hand crank and not expensive to rent for a half day or day.

Use one outside to get the laser off the truck and rolled into position at the window, and then raised up to clear the sill. Then while it is sitting in the window like that use the second one inside to take it from the first and roll it to where it is needed, and lower it there.

There may be some other types of lifts that might be more appropriate so look around. But if you could do it with a rental equipment I would be tempted to do that rather than lifting it by hand if possible. The ramp ideas have a lot of merit as well. Make sure you have a way to secure it at various points though in case you need a break on the way up or down.

PS....I used the Genie Hoist to lift and move my 700lb table top CNC from the palette onto the rolling table I made for it. Did it all by myself with the help of that lift. Worked really well and at no point was I wondering if I should line up an orthopedic surgeon before or after that move. <grin>

Dave

Adam Less
05-26-2016, 4:44 PM
Hey Matt. Thanks so much. Interesting as I asked Weike if I could remove the legs and they said no. Will sure make a difference if I can!

Rich Harman
05-26-2016, 5:49 PM
It's the same height inside. I might use my quad ramp. I don't think I'd be comfortable 'tipping' it on its side and risk parts inside all getting messed up.

If laying it on its side causes things to get messed up, you've got bigger problems. You would need to be sure the gantry was either secured from moving, or at the back of the machine (if laying on its back), and you would want the laser tube and honeycomb table to be removed, and mind the lid so that it doesn't fly open. Other than that, everything else should already be securely fastened in place.

Wilbur Harris
05-26-2016, 8:25 PM
I think you need to figure out an easier, perhaps safer, way to do this. "Safer" for both the machine and the people involved....machine first, people second. Remove all the loose stuff from inside the machine before you do it....however you do it. Good luck!!

Keith Winter
05-27-2016, 9:38 AM
If laying it on its side causes things to get messed up, you've got bigger problems. You would need to be sure the gantry was either secured from moving, or at the back of the machine (if laying on its back), and you would want the laser tube and honeycomb table to be removed, and mind the lid so that it doesn't fly open. Other than that, everything else should already be securely fastened in place.

Rich is right if you are REALLY careful you might get away with it, and if that's your only option you gotta do what you gotta do. However chances are you will miss something that's loose and it will fly around and damage things, or you will break the hatch, or you will bend the thin metal on the sides, etc.

BE SURE the cutting knives/cutting grid and that tube isn't in the machine, it's likely that tube going is going to break with all this man handling and tipping on it's side. Remember it might have made it from China, but that was with the machine on it's feet. If you drop it only a few inches onto the floor when you put it on it's side, you're asking for trouble and a broken tube.

Bill George
05-27-2016, 9:47 AM
Rent a fork truck.

Jerome Stanek
05-27-2016, 11:20 AM
Rich is right if you are REALLY careful you might get away with it, and if that's your only option you gotta do what you gotta do. However chances are you will miss something that's loose and it will fly around and damage things, or you will break the hatch, or you will bend the thin metal on the sides, etc.

BE SURE the cutting knives/cutting grid and that tube isn't in the machine, it's likely that tube going is going to break with all this man handling and tipping on it's side. Remember it might have made it from China, but that was with the machine on it's feet. If you drop it only a few inches onto the floor when you put it on it's side, you're asking for trouble and a broken tube.

What difference is laying it on it's side or having it bounce around on the ocean and in a truck. I have seen a lot of units that they lay over to get through a door and up or down stairs

Keith Winter
05-27-2016, 11:36 AM
What difference is laying it on it's side or having it bounce around on the ocean and in a truck. I have seen a lot of units that they lay over to get through a door and up or down stairs

Take a look at your tube... The straps that hold it in strap over the tube but they don't go length wise. Dropping the laser on it's side when you lay it down can cause the tube to shift running into lens assembly... Also the bed and all the other stuff inside the case will shift, also all the weight will be on the side doors of the case potentially damaging hinges, do I need to go on?

Look at it this way, cars bounce around too coming from germany or whatever on a boat. However if you tilted and turned your car onto it's side and laid it on the ground on the doors instead of on the tires don't you think something would likely break?

Matt McCoy
05-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Take a look at your tube... The straps that hold it in strap over the tube but they don't go length wise. Dropping the laser on it's side when you lay it down can cause the tube to shift running into lens assembly... Also the bed and all the other stuff inside the case will shift, also all the weight will be on the side doors of the case potentially damaging hinges, do I need to go on?

Look at it this way, cars bounce around too coming from germany or whatever on a boat. However if you tilted and turned your car onto it's side and laid it on the ground on the doors instead of on the tires don't you think something would likely break?

If already installed, remove the tube.

Remove ancillary tables.

Wrap a couple zip ties to keep the gantry from moving.

Jerome Stanek
05-27-2016, 2:16 PM
My tube came separate in a case that was put in when I bought it. Carole Scott said sometimes they have to take the base off and lay it on it's side to go in. May Trotec is different and can't take that abuse.

Keith Winter
05-27-2016, 4:51 PM
I don't disagree that you can do this, but to someone that's never had a laser they are going to miss something. Plus even if you are careful, my point is still valid, it's not meant to lay on it's side. Maybe if you have two Hercules type guys who can twist it sideways to get through, then twist it back right side up without ever setting it down, but I'm certainly not that strong. Lol! The right way to do it is to rent a fork truck as Bill said.

If already installed, remove the tube.

Remove ancillary tables.

Wrap a couple zip ties to keep the gantry from moving.

Keith Winter
05-27-2016, 4:55 PM
My tube came separate in a case that was put in when I bought it. Carole Scott said sometimes they have to take the base off and lay it on it's side to go in. May Trotec is different and can't take that abuse.

I'm not sure on Trotec, it's probably actually more robust than a Chinese unit. Just like my SUV is probably more robust than a kia, but I'm not going to turn it on it's side to find out :p

Seriously though I agree with your sentiment. When there is no other option, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

Bill George
05-27-2016, 5:08 PM
Last time I had something really heavy moved, the guy down the street had a fork truck. A hour later and $50 bucks in the guys pocket and the surface grinder was loaded.

Rich Harman
05-27-2016, 5:52 PM
All this talk of damaging the tube when laying on its side - I did mention that you would want the tube removed. These machines are not that fragile. You guys are making it sound like we are saying to just kick it over or something.

To be clear, my recommendation is to remove the tube, the honeycomb or knife table, and secure the gantry. Check it over carefully for loose bits, then secure the lid. Lay it down slowly and gently and it will be fine.

You do remember that the OP said that he will have to back his truck up to a window, right? A fork truck won't work, unless he could get it inside the building.

It is dead simple to place a piece of plywood on the widow sill, secure it and slide the machine down on its side or back. This is something that I could do without any assistance. Even simpler is to lift the machine and set it down, providing that you have two people of sufficient strength available. I say two, because in my experience when you have more people than necessary, it actually makes it less safe.

Matt McCoy
05-27-2016, 5:53 PM
I don't disagree that you can do this, but to someone that's never had a laser they are going to miss something. Plus even if you are careful, my point is still valid, it's not meant to lay on it's side. Maybe if you have two Hercules type guys who can twist it sideways to get through, then twist it back right side up without ever setting it down, but I'm certainly not that strong. Lol! The right way to do it is to rent a fork truck as Bill said.

No worries. My advice is from a first-time experience with a comparable machine, two guys, and a truck.

Rich Harman
05-27-2016, 6:22 PM
How about going down to the local rental shop and renting two, forklift style lifts. Sometimes they are called lift trucks. I know them here as Genie lifts. It is a tall, wheeled lift with a wide base for stability, and forks that will raise up quite a height and can normally handle 400 to 500 lbs at least. They are hand crank and not expensive to rent for a half day or day.

Those won't work in his situation. Those lightweight type of fork lifts rely upon wheels (rollers) placed far out in front for stability. Those wheels will hit the inside wall of the building - not allowing the forks to reach through the window.

Bill George
05-27-2016, 6:34 PM
I have moved a lot of heavy stuff lathes, milling machines and the like. The only thing I needed the fork truck for was to load on a tall truck, not mine BTW. I told the guy to bring a lift gate truck and he did not. He paid for the fork truck. You can unload the machine (casters down) with the FT, drive up to window. If the ground is soft you put down timbers or 3/4 inch plywood, if its that soft you won't get a truck in there either. Once you get it inside the window you have a 3/4 inch plywood ramp for it fastened at the window end and some jacks and timbers holding the other end up. Set the machine down on the ramp, keep it tied off with a rope to the truck if needed, lower the jacks using cribbing timbers if needed to support while you move the jacks down.
Nothing ever got broke and I have all my fingers and toes :)

Bill George
05-27-2016, 6:37 PM
Those won't work in his situation. Those lightweight type of fork lifts rely upon wheels (rollers) placed far out in front for stability. Those wheels will hit the inside wall of the building - not allowing the forks to reach through the window.
We just added the heavy Unistrut, it fits right inside the top forks.

Rich Harman
05-27-2016, 7:03 PM
We just added the heavy Unistrut, it fits right inside the top forks.

Can you elaborate? How does that help in this situation?

Rich Harman
05-27-2016, 7:06 PM
If you really want to rent something, get one of these;

It can lift it off the truck, poke it through the window and set it down inside.

Bill George
05-27-2016, 8:22 PM
Can you elaborate? How does that help in this situation?

They extend the top forks so to speak. You leave the load down, roll up to the lift zone, crank it up and then someone holds the back from sliding out and two people move the load out to the extended forks. No you can't extend them 3 or 4 feet, most of the time all you need is just a foot or so.
In this case you could perhaps rest those extensions inside on the window sill.

Dave Stevens-Vegas
05-28-2016, 5:26 PM
I've been in that situation with a Wieke 6040. It's a hefty lift for two and the load isn't that balanced. It will really take four but if you are determined three stout lads could do it though I wouldn't.

It was easy enough to uncrate and roll down the ramp with my wife and I but as others have said controlling it on a lift can be a beast. The legs/stand on mine does detach but it's somewhat of a hassle and it doesn't remove that much weight. Mine is plenty strong enough to move with no flex. The main chassis and legs/stand are 14ga steel pressed into shape. The tube housing is lighter gauge steel and not attached robust enough to use as a leverage point. With slings in the right place and a shop crate (or engine hoist) it's not too difficult to move if you know what you are doing. If you can back up to the window and use the crane/hoist and are careful two of you should be able to do it. Using four to lift through the window would be the best option.