PDA

View Full Version : Pricing strategy for selling your work.

Raymond Fries
05-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Which of these options do you think people would be more attracted to with the net amount being equal?

A higher price with free shipping.

A lower price with the customer paying a shipping fee.

Thanks for your thoughts

Wayne Lomman
05-26-2016, 6:26 AM
For me personally, I always get the supplier to organise the freight as they are then responsible for the item until I receive it - it just reduces risk a bit. On the other hand, it always seems to work better to have the headline price lower and add the cost of the fine print later. Cheers

John Lanciani
05-26-2016, 7:07 AM
I know when I sell things either here or on E-Bay I get better response with free* shipping. I think there are two reasons; first is the word "free" as many people still think that they are getting something for nothing. Second, for the rest of the people it removes the unknown element because there are no surprises when the shipping is calculated, they know exactly what the cost is before they commit to buy.

* The truth is that I just calculate almost worst case shipping and add it to the price up front, just like everyone else that provides "free" shipping.

Matt Day
05-26-2016, 7:35 AM
I know when I sell things either here or on E-Bay I get better response with free* shipping. I think there are two reasons; first is the word "free" as many people still think that they are getting something for nothing. Second, for the rest of the people it removes the unknown element because there are no surprises when the shipping is calculated, they know exactly what the cost is before they commit to buy.

* The truth is that I just calculate almost worst case shipping and add it to the price up front, just like everyone else that provides "free" shipping.

+1.0000000

Malcolm Schweizer
05-26-2016, 11:13 AM
I would say for most a higher price with free shipping, UNLESS it is a small item where there are flat-rate shipping options and/or there is a "click and ship" that easily lets the person calculate shipping prior to purchase . Many times on eBay I see one item with free shipping, and another where I have to pay shipping, but since eBay calculates shipping for me, I will go for the cheaper overall price.

For me, however, because I am always running into the "We don't ship there" response, I would just assume have a lower price and let me set up the shipping if I had to choose one or the other. I am not the norm. It grates my nerves every time I get a Rockler offer in the mail for free shipping, but they don't ship to me, and yet they MAILED me (snail mail) the offer!!! If you don't offer free shipping to me, don't mail me the offer; and how did you mail me the offer but you can't mail the item to me? (And it is the same price with US Postal Service as the states) Ugh!

Bert Kemp
05-26-2016, 11:24 AM
I would call Rockler and make a complaint JUST BECAUSE:D

I would say for most a higher price with free shipping, UNLESS it is a small item where there are flat-rate shipping options and/or there is a "click and ship" that easily lets the person calculate shipping prior to purchase . Many times on eBay I see one item with free shipping, and another where I have to pay shipping, but since eBay calculates shipping for me, I will go for the cheaper overall price.

For me, however, because I am always running into the "We don't ship there" response, I would just assume have a lower price and let me set up the shipping if I had to choose one or the other. I am not the norm. It grates my nerves every time I get a Rockler offer in the mail for free shipping, but they don't ship to me, and yet they MAILED me (snail mail) the offer!!! If you don't offer free shipping to me, don't mail me the offer; and how did you mail me the offer but you can't mail the item to me? (And it is the same price with US Postal Service as the states) Ugh!