PDA

View Full Version : getting my first saw mill

david privett
05-25-2016, 8:51 PM
I am getting a band sawmill on a trailer , I have never used one, watched several being used , so I was asking the guy who is making it about the lubricant for the blade he said just water, I have heard of using diesel and dish soap with water is there a commercial product for this? or am I making to much of this? My first cuts will be ruff cut red oak for a new tractor shed so if it is stained who cares. oh the mill cap. is 28 inch by 17 and one half ft. with a 16 hp. engine. any other hints for a newbie will be appreciated.

Danny Hamsley
05-25-2016, 9:42 PM
I use dawn dish soap and pine-sol. For 5 gallons of lube, I put in about a quarter cup of dawn dish soap and about a cup of pine-sol. Has served me well.

Cody Colston
05-26-2016, 2:20 PM
I use dawn dish soap and pine-sol. For 5 gallons of lube, I put in about a quarter cup of dawn dish soap and about a cup of pine-sol. Has served me well.

I use the same lube as Danny but I only add Pine-Sol if sawing Pine. The best advice I can give on operating a band mill is to use a sharp blade with adequate tension. Of course, proper set-up (guides adjusted, mill level) is a prerequisite to getting flat cuts.
Congrats on getting a mill. Sawing usable lumber from logs is very rewarding.

John K Jordan
05-26-2016, 2:39 PM
I use plain water with my Woodmizer.

I'm glad you have a tractor. I welded grab hooks to the bucket of mine and put the logs on the mill with two large cant hooks on short pieces of chain. Sometimes I use forks on the tractor or bobcat. I usually offload boards directly onto forks. I'm usually working by myself.

JKJ

Ray Vivian
05-26-2016, 9:46 PM
David, show us what it looks like when you get it.

david privett
05-27-2016, 7:33 AM
when I am using it here on the property I was thinking about loading logs with the backhoe I have . It has a thumb on the hoe , I figured that would be better than to try to roll them off the bucket forks and have it get away. But I am having it made with loading ramps and winch , which the guy says the winch can be used as a log turner also. we shall see in about 3 weeks.

John K Jordan
05-27-2016, 8:35 AM
If my backhoe had a thumb I'd use that too. (...or if I could just find a cheap mini-x!) I found the forks worked fine, never had one get away from me, just rolled gently or with cant hooks if the log was large. My mill is stationary and very low to the ground so maybe that helps.

I've used a winch or come-along to load logs up ramps onto the trailer using the "wind the cable (or chain) around the log" method, or easier when there was room to maneuver, pull the cable with a vehicle.

You are going to have a blast! Don't forget to cut a few thick slabs. As a woodturner, I and others get great use from 2-4" thick slabs from cherry, walnut, cedar, maple, etc. if you don't turn wood you can sell the slabs, or better, cut them up and make turning blanks for bowls and turned boxes. I don't saw as a business, mostly for farm use, but I've had people buy cants for mantles too.

JKJ

Cody Colston
05-27-2016, 11:01 AM
when I am using it here on the property I was thinking about loading logs with the backhoe I have . It has a thumb on the hoe , I figured that would be better than to try to roll them off the bucket forks and have it get away. But I am having it made with loading ramps and winch , which the guy says the winch can be used as a log turner also. we shall see in about 3 weeks.

I put my Logmaster LM1 on a trailer a few years ago. It also has the loading ramps and a removable hand winch for loading logs. I use it when I have a log that my 30 hp tractor won't lift. Otherwise I either use the forks or, if the bucket is on the tractor, a chain with two log tongs to place logs on the mill. I have had one go off the back side when using the forks. PITA, too. Your backhoe with the thumb should work great.

david privett
05-28-2016, 7:36 AM
for those interested the guy who is building the saw mill for me is lumberjack saw mills (lumberjackbandsaws.com) ph# 770-773-0691 2138 us-411 Fairmont,Ga. 30139 you can see his pictures of a mill he makes.

david privett
05-31-2016, 8:17 AM
here I have not got the mill yet and I got questions, is there a rule of thumb about working around the pith. Like if you do not want any pith how far is it suggested I should stay away from it? I figure this changes to each type of tree but just for general info. as place to start.

John K Jordan
05-31-2016, 9:45 AM
...is there a rule of thumb about working around the pith..
I am certainly no expert since I saw for myself and for farm use. I know some people cut a 4x4 or so out of the center to contain the pith, perhaps useful as a post or something with certain species. One problem with this is the pith can wander all over the place unless the log is straight, and even then you have to carefully measure and wedge up one end of the log before making the first cut. For my use (not for sale, not for furniture) I just make the best cant I can then saw the thicknesses I want.

As you mentioned, the species may make difference, but the intended use will too. Some species (dogwood, persimmon) will split near the pith and warp like crazy if not quarter sawn (and often even if it is!) I love to saw eastern red cedar for siding, etc, but since I love wood turning I often cut some thick slabs for bowls and platters. Cedar is so forgiving I just saw through and through and cut around any defects after air drying. This piece of log (about 5-6' I think) is about 24" in the middle and made some fantastic turning stock:

If you are sawing something like oak for random-width siding for outbuildings, it might save a lot of effort to just plain saw and put it up green, or rip into narrower widths before drying to minimize major cupping. I sometimes resaw after drying to straighten major bows. Twists are usually no problem since I put everything up with screws which will flatten a twist.

If you get some nice cherry, walnut, cedar, maple, dogwood, and other species, you might consider sawing some into larger slabs for sale to woodturners (if you don't turn yourself.) Thick pieces of wet wood, like short half-log chunks are highly prized by bowl turners. People who make smaller bowls, boxes, and spindles sometimes prefer dry wood (I do) so anything from 1.5" to 4" is great. (Most of the wood I'm turning now has been drying 6-10 years.) Sometimes I cut larger blocks from the large end of a log just for turning blanks. This guy was one happy bowl turner!

338380 338381

I made a jig to hold short blocks. I think we cut about 2" out of the center, 1" on either side of the pith.

BTW, I bought a 55 gallon of AnchorSeal directly from UC Coatings. Painting the ends of the logs asap after felling can save a lot of wood. Not that important for barn siding, though.

I'm sure you are going to have a blast!! If you haven't done so, check out the sawmill forums. I got a lot of info there when I got my sawmill about a decade ago.

JKJ

david privett
05-31-2016, 9:07 PM
yeah John I watch the turners forum I got a g0766, I do not know if you noticed I am in Cleveland,Tn. 1- 1/2 hours south of you.

John K Jordan
06-01-2016, 7:53 AM
yeah John I watch the turners forum I got a g0766, I do not know if you noticed I am in Cleveland,Tn. 1- 1/2 hours south of you.

No, I didn't notice. You're right up the road from the other John Jordan, then. Did we meet at TAW?

Last time I was in your neighborhood was on the way to spending some quality time in my whitewater kayak, playing with Slice and Dice, Diamond Splitter, and Table Saw. These days I spend more time with Thompson, Hunter, and Powermatic. :-)

My sawmill sadly has been neglected lately but I've accumulated a big stack of cedar logs and I'm in the need of more siding so it's about time to fire it up.

I hear the Grizzly is a healthy lathe.

JKJ

david privett
06-01-2016, 12:40 PM
no the only person I know is Daryl Moses , he is close to Athens ,Tn. I guess about 30 miles north of me. we have several common interests.

John K Jordan
06-01-2016, 1:33 PM
Do you have a woodturning club in your area? Chattanooga?

I attend Smoky Mtn Woodturners in Knoxville and the club in Crossville, and have visited clubs in North Carolina and once in N. Alabama when Jimmy Clewes was there.

JKJ

david privett
06-01-2016, 1:48 PM
there is one in Chattanooga that works with the woodcraft store there went twice it was ok but nothing to write home about to me, I guess turning styles between me and them are too different. They were mostly art mine is to the more practical go out and use it style.

John K Jordan
06-01-2016, 6:41 PM
...turning styles between me and them are too different. They were mostly art mine is to the more practical go out and use it style.

Then you might be interested to hear what I turned this Monday - a new handle for my favorite shuffle hoe!

I cut a bunch of long handle blanks from a hickory log prob 8 or 10 years ago and put them in the barn to dry so they would be ready when needed. (I read this hint somewhere in an old farming book.) A good use for a sawmill around the farm! So far I have made handles for a froe, shovel, foot adz, axe, and this hoe.

The handle is 53" long, stretching the limits of the PM3520 with bed extension. Turned mostly with a big skew. A steady rest would have been nice. I'm doing a club demo this month on turning long, thin spindles and I'll take this for show-and-tell. Long and thin is relative.

JKJ

Cody Colston
06-02-2016, 12:25 AM
Hey John, is that squash behind you? Mine is producing more than we can can or eat this year.

John K Jordan
06-02-2016, 9:18 AM
Hey John, is that squash behind you? Mine is producing more than we can can or eat this year.

No, I may have to come visit you! Our squash is late this year - delayed while we were wandering around Italy at planting time. That is our rhubarb patch. I pick what berries and cherries are ripe and we have the most amazing rhubarb crisp, strawberry-rhubarb pie, etc.

I'm a little surprised more people don't grow rhubarb since so many people take some home with them. Unlike strawberries or asparagus, It's almost no work after it gets established since the shade from the big leaves discourages weeds.

This year our garden is scaled down a bit but we managed to put in greens, onions, carrots, yellow squash, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, beans, okra, and cushaw. The cushaw is always a huge favorite!

JKJ

david privett
06-10-2016, 11:10 AM
is it generally accepted that cant hooks are more useful around a sawmill than a peavey? and what size would you buy? I was thinking a 2-1/2" by 60" . The saw mill throat will be 28 ".

Cody Colston
06-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Either will work. I use a 48" Logrite cant hook but a PV has one big plus...it can be stuck in the ground. :D

John K Jordan
06-10-2016, 6:37 PM
is it generally accepted that cant hooks are more useful around a sawmill than a peavey? and what size would you buy? I was thinking a 2-1/2" by 60" . The saw mill throat will be 28 ".

I don't have a peavey but I have several cant hooks, 4' and 5'. One with a 60" handle gives quite a bit more leverage than the 48".

JKJ

david privett
06-10-2016, 6:48 PM
I was talking to the 80+ year old neighbor and he gave me a cant hook a 5 footer . It was not fitted to the handle and had no bottom prong so made a prong and sanded the handle down so I could get the new prong and the hook to line up ,2 coats of poly nice enough to work with. should get the mill mon. but we shall see. how many spare blades do you guys try to keep on hand? I am getting 8.

John K Jordan
06-10-2016, 11:38 PM
... how many spare blades do you guys try to keep on hand? I am getting 8.

Depends on how much you plan on using it and how often you want to order or get resharpened and if you have a local sharpening service. I don't saw much but I don't like to stop if I run out of something so I bought 20 blades. I still have one new one left and was about to send them off when I found the local bandsaw blade shop can make up new blades (from Lenox stock) practically while I wait and at good prices.

If you saw anything but from the deep forest that has never been farm land you will eventually hear that zzzzzt from hitting something that takes out a blade. Also, if you have logs with dirt in the bark the blades can wear very quickly. And I had one break.

JKJ

david privett
06-11-2016, 9:16 AM
I was thinking about pressure washing the logs before sawing . Is there a down side to doing that. And I have a cheap metal detector guess it would be a good idea to use it ,although the guy at the local sawmill said if you let the log lay a week if there is metal in the log the wood will turn black close to the metal more so below the metal towards the trees butt. I have seen that with trees that was used for fence posts.

david privett
06-16-2016, 8:18 PM
well I got put off a week but fri. the 17th I am going to go get it, wish me luck. Getting 12 blades instead of 8 we shall see how fast I can dull them

david privett
06-18-2016, 8:51 AM
picked up the mill yesterday and cut some 2"x6"x12' in red oak, seems pretty straight forward as far as using it. I am surprised on how fast it cut that oak. Has anyone had any experience with the band sawmill blades meant for frozen wood. I seen one yesterday, the blade manf. is going to send me one as a test blade , but I do not know what to expect out of it . I was told by another person that the will not cut soft wood well at all.

Danny Hamsley
06-19-2016, 7:41 AM
I believe that 4 degree bands are the best for cutting very hard wood if you mill has the horsepower. Low horsepower mills cannot handle them.

Todd Burch
06-21-2016, 7:34 AM
I emailed the folks over at Lumberjack a couple weeks ago, asking if they had any videos. Have not heard back.

david privett
06-21-2016, 7:03 PM
they are small time , I think there is just two of them over there better give them a call , phone were used in the century they are most at home with. ha ha ha yea me too

david privett
06-24-2016, 8:49 AM
well so far all has been going well , cutting 4x6x16 red oak , it was standing dead trees , man that stuff is still heavy from being wet, glad I have that backhoe and thumb . added a volt meter and hour meter to the engine for easier keeping track for maint.

Todd Burch
06-25-2016, 6:44 AM
Let's get a video walk around of you saw!

david privett
06-25-2016, 8:12 AM
sorry I do not have the tech. to do that, but your are welcome to look at it in person. Maybe I can get ahold of a friend of mine to video it. I will entice him with a homebrew. Can you taste it yet Daryl?