PDA

View Full Version : How to get a new bandsaw (pics -not a tool gloat)

Dave Malen
09-20-2005, 9:13 PM
Build a bookcase for SWMBO. Just completed this project. It was roughly based on a design in FWW by Philip Lowe. My bookcase is much larger and has differently designed molding. It is built of solid poplar. The sides are held to the bottom with sliding dovetails. Wish I could show you them but they're hidden.

Dave

Tony Falotico
09-20-2005, 9:47 PM
OK Dave, let me get this right:

1 Beautiful Bookcase = 1 New Bandsaw

Any variables in that equation we need to know about ?? :D

Seriously, Beautiful Bookcase Dave, nice design, simple yet elegant, well proportioned, well executed and beautifully finished. I'll give it 5 smiley faces :) :) :) :) :)

Von Bickley
09-20-2005, 9:54 PM
Dave,
Great looking bookcase....... And it still amazes me that some people think of poplar as a secondary wood. Your bookcase shows how beautiful poplar can be. :)

Dave Malen
09-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Tony - the variable in this equation is a women who loves her man. All I have to say is I could sure use a Bandsaw with more hp and before long I get the ok to buy one. I usually get a new tool after completion of a project that she really wants. this was one of those. Let's see for that new dining room table she wants a veneer bag system might be in line. Thanks for the great feedback. :)

Dave

Von Bickley, thanks for the compliment. Poplar is easy wood to work with, but can be difficult to finish. I used sprayed dye, shellac, glaze and paste varnish to finish this project. It does take work to make poplar look good. It can blotch and dark finishes seem to work best.

Dave

Corey Hallagan
09-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Excellent Dave, that is beautiful. I would never have guessed that it was made of poplar.
Corey

Jim Becker
09-20-2005, 11:02 PM
A most excellent job, Dave! Looks great.

Roy Wall
09-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Dave,

Very nice piece....love the moulding and base = great job!

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Dave that is a beautiful piece. I love the finish. I have read on here and elsewhere that poplar is very difficult to finish so I have always steered clear of it. Guess I may have to just try it now. Oh by the way what was that formula again. 1 piece of furniture = 1 bandsaw. I need a 14" bandsaw with a 12" resaw for veener. :)

Bernie

John Miliunas
09-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Yup Dave, I'd definitely say that piece is worth a BS!!! :D Way to go and, only to echo what's been said, great execution and slick finish work on it!:) :cool:

Seth Poorman
09-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Great Job Dave.

It looks like you Executed those ogee feet quite well !!
Seth....

lou sansone
09-21-2005, 4:52 AM
as others have said... nice looking piece. good proportions and color as well as overall quality in construction. how are the shelves attached ?

lou

Dan Forman
09-21-2005, 5:05 AM
Exemplary job all the way around. You really nailed the finish, I was most surprised when you revealed it was poplar. I will have to start experimenting with dyes, stains, and such on poplar.

Dan

John Bailey
09-21-2005, 5:41 AM
Dave,

Great looking shelf. Poplar is easy to come by where I am, probably in most places. Looks like many of us will take another look at that wood.

Did I miss something!! What about the bandsaw?

John

Bill Lewis
09-21-2005, 6:24 AM
Dave,

Maybe not a tool gloat, but a good gloat none the less!

Jeff Sudmeier
09-21-2005, 7:35 AM
Dave, that looks great! I really like the looks of that bookcase. You are in a win, win. You made LOML happy with the book case, it looks great in your home and you get a new toy!

Kelly C. Hanna
09-21-2005, 7:53 AM
Very nice Dave! Sure does equate well doesn't it....bookcase for bandsaw....yep, I like that! :D

Keith Burns
09-21-2005, 8:09 AM
Have to agree to whats already been said....great piece, finish and detail.:D

Steve Clardy
09-21-2005, 9:45 AM
Looks great!!!!

Bob Noles
09-21-2005, 9:51 AM
Dave,

Beautiful work.... and certainly worth a new tool :p

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Dave....beautiful job!

Bill White
09-21-2005, 12:22 PM
When do we get the info on that great finish?

Dave Malen
09-21-2005, 6:10 PM
First of all thanks to all who took their time to reply. I'm overwhelmed with all the praise coming my way! I'll have to do this more often :)

Lou - The shelves are adjustable. They are supported by quarter inch pins.

John B. I just took delivery of a Laguna Lt 14se. Pic below (no gloat here, just responding to a question :D )

Bill W - Here's the deal with finishing: First I sprayed a coat of Solar Lux stain.
This was a blend of 1 part reducer,2 parts yellow maple, 1.5 parts American Walnut. Second I sprayed one coat 2 pd cut of dewaxed shellac. I used Zinser's Sealcoat right out of the can) Third - I put Behlen's Burnt Umber glaze on. (This was a questionable step - in that it brought out some of the poplar's blotchyness. But the next step concealed most of it. Fourth I sprayed more 2 pound cut shellac mixed with Medium Brown Transtint dye to get Just the tone I wanted. I ended up putting on 4 coats of tinted shellac. This is an experimental process. You keep going till you get what your looking for. Finally I clearcoated with Circa 1850 Antique paste Varnish.
Still haven't put a coat of paste wax on it. I'm waiting for the Varnish to fully cure.

For John B a picture of when I was mounting the saw on it's stand.

also a pic of the bookcase with the first coat of stain (Solar Lux)

Dennis Peacock
09-21-2005, 6:13 PM
Very nice Dave...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I make a lot of stuff from poplar and it does make a nice piece of furniture.

Congrats on a job well done. :D

John Bailey
09-21-2005, 9:46 PM
Dave,

That's more like it. Having shopped some time for the right bandsaw, I couldn't pass up trying to see what you got. Looks like a winner!!

John

Jonathan Malen
09-24-2005, 1:58 PM
Beautiful job. MWMBO is very happy. I won't tell everyone about the mistakes. Please make one for my apartment too. I'd prefer tiger maple, or some other wood that implies considerable wealth.

Jim Becker
09-24-2005, 2:36 PM
Beautiful job. MWMBO is very happy. I won't tell everyone about the mistakes. Please make one for my apartment too. I'd prefer tiger maple, or some other wood that implies considerable wealth.

Your dad only works in the most expensive looking stock, so I think you will be just fine!! (Welcome to the Creek...)

Dave Malen
09-24-2005, 4:42 PM
Just as long as it's poplar :)

Dave