PDA

View Full Version : Great Resaw King support from Laguna

John Seybold
05-24-2016, 12:18 AM
I've been using a 1.25" Laguna Resaw King blade in my 18" saw for five or six years now. When I first got it, I reserved it for big resaw jobs and cutting veneers, but over time it has spent more and more time on the saw. It cuts so fast and so cleanly, leaving a very narrow kerf, that it has become my default blade for almost everything. It's much more expensive than a stamped blade, but it stays sharp much, much longer and is much more predictable for precise cuts. I often cut tenons on the bandsaw, and it's easy to get them spot on.

Anyway, I liked the blade so much, and missed it so keenly when it went back for resharpening, that I ordered a second to have as a spare. I got it at a reduced price as part of an order of a couple other machines. Since I'd just had my old blade sharpened, I hung it on the wall and ignored it for a year. Well, it came time to send the old blade back for sharpening, so I installed the new blade. Much to my surprise, there was a problem with the set of the teeth. Instead of the extremely smooth cut I was used to, the new blade left deep scores in the wood. I fooled around with it for a while to see if I could figure out what was wrong. I was hoping it was just a tooth or two that I could cut back with a diamond stone, but the problem seemed more fundamental, like a warp in the backing steel ribbon. So I called up Laguna, and then asked me to send the blade in. The tech I talked to said, "Hmm...normally our warranty is only a year..."

I explained that the blade was brand new and had been sitting around as a spare. He said, "OK, I'll see what I can do." The next day I got an email saying that a new replacement blade was on the way. It was the right thing to do, and kudos to Laguna for doing the right thing. The new blade just arrived, and it cuts like a dream. So, I just wanted to report on a good customer support experience.

Andrew Hughes
05-24-2016, 9:26 AM
Good to hear,John. Now I feeling left out they are great blades.:o

Keith Hankins
05-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Great news! I love mine, and used the creeker discount to get mine and its still going strong.

glenn bradley
05-24-2016, 4:16 PM
Great news! I love mine, and used the creeker discount to get mine and its still going strong.

Please remind us of what the creeker discount is and how to use it

Jeff Duncan
05-24-2016, 9:05 PM
That's good to hear as I have a very similar problem. I bought 2 RSK's several years ago as there was a special price buying the pair. I used one over the last couple years now and then but mostly for the really hard stuff and exotics and it performed well. The rest of the time I use bi-metal blades which do just fine. Well I found myself with a dull blade and no spares yesterday and so I had to resort to pulling out my 2nd RSK still brand new in the box. I got it onto the saw and.....it doesn't cut! I shut the saw down as I thought I must have somehow installed the blade backwards....nope, it was on right. I have never had a blade that wouldn't cut, including old dull blades! It took several minutes to slice a piece of 5"w x 4' long cherry:(

I'm going to try and dig out the receipt tonight and see what they say, but I know it's been over 2 years since I bought them before I moved to the new shop. Hopefully I'll have as good support as you got! Though I'm not optimistic:o

JeffD

John Seybold
05-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Yeah...I've heard somebody else say (once) that they weren't satisfied with their new blade too. When you get a good one, they're great. But I think there's some variability in the manufacturing process. My advice is to try the new blade out as soon as you get it, and make sure that it works well. All things considered, I would still buy it again.