PDA

View Full Version : Getting Around To The Lid

ken hatch
05-23-2016, 8:27 PM
Going into the day job early evening today, so I had a few minutes to rub together in the shop and the tool box lid needed some love. I had time to cut rebates or at least the X-grain ones. The Panel is Cherry, ended up about15mm thick and needing a 9mm thick tongue set back 10mm. While I have the LV rabbet plane, for a single panel like this a wood rebate plane works just as well and is less monkey motion.

I use marking gauges to make two marks, one for the set back and the other for the depth. For a long rebate like this one I will chisel a "V" groove. Then it is just a matter of riding the groove until you have a shoulder, as my clients would say "A sheet of cake".

First photo is of setting up:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/x-grainRebate160523_zpsr2t4wkk8.jpg

About half way through:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/x-grainRebateA160523_zpsyfpi36r9.jpg

Testing the fit:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/x-grainRebateTestFit160523_zpsmyp7wnxb.jpg

Two more rebates, draw bore the rails and stiles and the lid is finished.

ken

Stew Denton
05-23-2016, 9:30 PM
Hi Ken,

Is this the lid for the tool chest that was formerly going on trips to the mountains with you, and now will be part of your shop? (Or did I read one of your former post incorrectly?) I have never worked with cherry, but really like the grain.

If it is going to stay in your shop are you going to start another one to take to the mountains, or can this one serve double duty? At any rate, it is coming along nicely, and it will be a very nice addition to your shop.

Stew

ken hatch
05-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Hi Ken,

Is this the lid for the tool chest that was formerly going on trips to the mountains with you, and now will be part of your shop? (Or did I read one of your former post incorrectly?) I have never worked with cherry, but really like the grain.

If it is going to stay in your shop are you going to start another one to take to the mountains, or can this one serve double duty? At any rate, it is coming along nicely, and it will be a very nice addition to your shop.

Stew

Stew,

Correct on all. I haven't decided if it will stay in the shop or become a toy chest for the grandpeanut. Either way I'll do another for a traveling chest. I'm still on the fence as to working out of a chest, I figured now was a good time to find out. Working out of a chest is OK so far but.....I expect it will end up with the Grandpeanut.

ken

Mike Allen1010
05-24-2016, 1:00 AM
Ken, I like your technique for the lid rabbit. I struggle to set the fence / depth stop on a rabbit plane to get accurate results. Your marking gauge and non-fenced rabbit plane option looks more direct and easier to dial in to correct dimensions. Thanks for the idea!

Best, Mike

ken hatch
05-24-2016, 4:02 AM
Ken, I like your technique for the lid rabbit. I struggle to set the fence / depth stop on a rabbit plane to get accurate results. Your marking gauge and non-fenced rabbit plane option looks more direct and easier to dial in to correct dimensions. Thanks for the idea!

Best, Mike

Mike,

Thanks, I find it easier and normally with better results. My guess is the better results come from "staying in the loop" or more touchy/feelly "becoming one with your tool and the wood" :p. All BS aside, I find it is easier to make small adjustment as I work because of better feed back from the tool and less expectations that the rabbet plane will do the work for you. Plus I enjoy the process more. Kinda win win.

In addition the ECE rabbet plane is a bargain at about $90 USD's.

ken

Stew Denton
05-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Hi Ken,

I was thinking about your thought that the chest may end up as a toy chest for one of your grandkids. I had to laugh a bit, because I thought of what I think is in Schwarz book "The Anarchists Tool Chest" where Schwarz mentions that way too many very nicely made tool chests end up at the end of a bed full of blankets. (I think wives often have a great deal to do with such a terrible fate for a tool chest.) We grandfathers are way too easy of a mark, particularly when Grandmothers and daughters aid in the conspiracy against us....it is a losing battle.

That said, one of my goals is to build a nice blanket chest for each grand child and both daughters/son in laws. I have to get better at Neander skills first though. I would also like to build toy chests for each child too, so believe me, I understand.

Last year at the plant company picnic they had a Bingo set up, to give away stuff as they do every year, and I played a while just to get off my feet. My wife, younger daughter, and her two kids were all playing. (Son in law was back working on a thesus, and 2 small children were not helping that effort, so the daughter and grandkids were with us for a couple of weeks.) They all love the Bingo game, and I would almost rather watch paint dry than play bingo, but it felt good to get off my feet and drink a cold soft drink, but at any rate I won a blanket, a relatively small one, but a nice blanket. Immediately the grandson says "grandpa can I have it?" Well you can guess the rest, the blanket went home with them, but he still uses it an really enjoys it so that's fine. Main point here again, Grandpas are way too easy marks. I guess we like it that way.

Your grand kid will enjoy it for a long time I hope, and when he grows up it may end up at the end of a bed filled with blankets his wife has picked out.....kind of a neat use for a tool chest. My wife and I use a "hope chest" that my grandfather made for one of my aunts to this day. It is important to me because he made it and my aunt used it most of her life. I hope the tool chest you are building means as much to one of their children, 93 years from now just because you built it, as that hope chest does to me.

Stew

ken hatch
05-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Hi Ken,

I was thinking about your thought that the chest may end up as a toy chest for one of your grandkids. I had to laugh a bit, because I thought of what I think is in Schwarz book "The Anarchists Tool Chest" where Schwarz mentions that way too many very nicely made tool chests end up at the end of a bed full of blankets. (I think wives often have a great deal to do with such a terrible fate for a tool chest.) We grandfathers are way too easy of a mark, particularly when Grandmothers and daughters aid in the conspiracy against us....it is a losing battle.

That said, one of my goals is to build a nice blanket chest for each grand child and both daughters/son in laws. I have to get better at Neander skills first though. I would also like to build toy chests for each child too, so believe me, I understand.

Last year at the plant company picnic they had a Bingo set up, to give away stuff as they do every year, and I played a while just to get off my feet. My wife, younger daughter, and her two kids were all playing. (Son in law was back working on a thesus, and 2 small children were not helping that effort, so the daughter and grandkids were with us for a couple of weeks.) They all love the Bingo game, and I would almost rather watch paint dry than play bingo, but it felt good to get off my feet and drink a cold soft drink, but at any rate I won a blanket, a relatively small one, but a nice blanket. Immediately the grandson says "grandpa can I have it?" Well you can guess the rest, the blanket went home with them, but he still uses it an really enjoys it so that's fine. Main point here again, Grandpas are way too easy marks. I guess we like it that way.

Your grand kid will enjoy it for a long time I hope, and when he grows up it may end up at the end of a bed filled with blankets his wife has picked out.....kind of a neat use for a tool chest. My wife and I use a "hope chest" that my grandfather made for one of my aunts to this day. It is important to me because he made it and my aunt used it most of her life. I hope the tool chest you are building means as much to one of their children, 93 years from now just because you built it, as that hope chest does to me.

Stew

Thanks Stew,

Someday I'll have to post a short video of the Grandpeanut and the table and chair I made for his 1st. B-day. BTW, I'm glad I followed MsBubba's advice and didn't shape the legs or make it lighter in any way. It gets a workout everyday.

ken

ken hatch
05-25-2016, 4:33 PM
When I draw bore joints most of the time I will use a little Hot Hide Glue on the pins. Glue is not needed in the joint but the hide glue lubricates the pin and I feel makes the joint go together easier. A long way around to....The lid is together and I'm waiting for the glue to dry so I can trim the pins and clean up the under side of the lid. Once that is done I'll add the dust seal, clean up the top side and do the hinges. Then that sucker will truly be finished and I can move on to other things.

The lid waiting for glue to dry:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxLid160525_zpsoxqavbew.jpg