PDA

View Full Version : Scrapped DSL got cable

Bart Leetch
09-20-2005, 6:14 PM
It must be at least 1/3 faster. So now I can either see more on the forum faster & play in the shop more or stay on the internet & see a whole lot more wood working forums. :eek: :D Nice thing about it is I don't pay for any of it.

Dennis Peacock
09-20-2005, 7:02 PM
Congrats Bart.

I just dumped cable and got DSL.....it's at least 4 times faster than my cable was and at 1/3 the price.!!! :eek: :D

Bart Leetch
09-20-2005, 7:29 PM
Congrats Bart.

I just dumped cable and got DSL.....it's at least 4 times faster than my cable was and at 1/3 the price.!!! :eek: :D

I kinda wonder if it depends on where your located in reference to the provider. Also with DSL I have heard it depends on how many people in the area have DSL & are on line at the time. When we first had DSL it was real fast.

There still seem to be servers where I go that are a little slow returning but it seems to find them quicker. But for the most part it is much faster.

Vaughn McMillan
09-20-2005, 7:43 PM
I kinda wonder if it depends on where your located in reference to the provider. Also with DSL I have heard it depends on how many people in the area have DSL & are on line at the time. When we first had DSL it was real fast...
Bart, I think you've got it reversed. Cable broadband can get slower as more and more of your neighbors get online, but DSL is immune to that issue, AFAIK.

Under good conditions, the cable connection will typically be faster than DSL, but it'll get slower as more people hook up. I'm guessing the slowness you experienced when you had DSL was because of some other issue.

Bottom line is that you've got a new connection, it's faster than you're used to, and now you've got to learn to type faster just to be able to keep up. If it was me, I'd be thinking about adding another finger into my typing technique...four fingers MUST be able to type faster than three, huh?

- Vaughn

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
09-20-2005, 8:38 PM
If you want to check your speed from time to time, I find that http://myspeed.visualware.com/ is about the best site I've stumbled upon. (Better than the "regular" ones at BroadbandReports.com.

Bart Leetch
09-20-2005, 9:10 PM
If you want to check your speed from time to time, I find that http://myspeed.visualware.com/ is about the best site I've stumbled upon. (Better than the "regular" ones at BroadbandReports.com.

Thanks Jim

Is this reasonable ? Download 4.95 Mbps Upload 369 Kbps

Update.

At 9:40 PM Download 5.40 MBPS Upload 368 KBPS

Matt Meiser
09-20-2005, 9:47 PM

You suck :D :D :D

Right now with Direcway, I get the following results: Download 363 Kbps Upload 28.9 Kbps. :( :(

We'll never get DSL (6 miles from the CO), probably not cable (about 3 miles from the nearest service, and I'm sure we'll be the last place on earth that Verizon will update to FIOS. My only hope is a local ISP who keeps promising to bring wireless to our area.

Kevin Murdock
09-20-2005, 9:49 PM
Bart, you rock.

I get 4.44Mbps downstream and 367kbps upstream.

That's with Cable. (Time Warner Road Runner down here)

That number, close to 5 meg downstream, is top shelf in the industry these day for basic home-user cable data rates.

Jim Becker
09-20-2005, 11:06 PM

Yes, that's good performance. But do remember it's throughput that matters and you'll want to see how things "feel" around 3pm on a weekday when the kids get home from school...cable is "shared" bandwidth. I'm glad to see you are not being capped at 128Kbps up...which is what most cable companies were doing for a very long time.
------------

My Verizon DSL is hitting about 2.8Mbps down and 712Kbps up. (For $29.95 a month) 'Can't wait to get on fiber, 'cause I'll be at about 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up. (for $44.95 a month) :D 'Hopefully by the end of the year, but Verizon is moving a bit slow on that right now...

Chris Padilla
09-21-2005, 12:01 AM
5.11 Mbps download and 361 kbps upload on Comcast cable modem...Tuesday evening at 9 PM PST.... :)

Vaughn McMillan
09-21-2005, 3:51 AM
My Verizon DSL is at 2.88 Mbs down and 740 kbps up tonight. You cable guys have me beat. Sounds like you're set to jet, Bart.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
09-21-2005, 8:17 AM
Remember, Vaughn, it's not just about speed...it's about throughput and in areas with dense usage, Cable can become sluggish since it's a shared bandwidth medium. And that higher upstream cap can be important for those of us who do more than just browse content...sending large email, etc., takes a lot less time.

Ian Barley
09-21-2005, 4:13 PM
Cable - 1.96 Mbs down and 188 kbps up. Maybe mine has to swim further??

Andrew Ault
09-21-2005, 5:40 PM
San Diego Time Warner Cable Modem:

Download speed is 4.7 Mbps.
Upload speed is 171 kbps.

- Andy

Scott Loven
09-21-2005, 6:26 PM
I got everyone beat
19 kpbs down load 16.1 kpbs upload.
I live out in the country and do not have access to anything faster. My modum is a 64K.
Wild blue just launched a high speed satellite service for $49.95 a month
http://www.wildblue.com/ I will be signing-up with them when available.
Scott

Lee DeRaud
09-21-2005, 6:57 PM
Bart, I think you've got it reversed. Cable broadband can get slower as more and more of your neighbors get online, but DSL is immune to that issue, AFAIK.

Under good conditions, the cable connection will typically be faster than DSL, but it'll get slower as more people hook up. I'm guessing the slowness you experienced when you had DSL was because of some other issue.DSL will get slower if the line is noisy. That can be caused by just about anything, but the primary culprit is just plain wire length, i.e. distance from the central office. They keep upping the max distance at which they claim it will work, but throughput still falls off rather rapidly when you get past two miles or so (as the wire runs).

I have no idea how many of my neighbors have cable modems, but I've never seen any slowdown that wasn't attributable to load at the other end.

Jim Becker
09-21-2005, 7:07 PM
Unless there has been a technology change that I missed (could easily happen), ADSL is still limited to 18,000 ft max (by wire) from the CO and yes, at that extended length, speed will be lower. (All the sources I just Googled on the subject confirm that max distance) This is the most common reason that so many folks can't get the service with "unsuitable equipment" (like a SLICK or transformer) between the CO and the home being the second most common reason, even if they are "close enough". It's also why Verizon is rolling out fiber to the prem (http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp) as the distance capablity for that is huge and the available potential bandwidth is amazing...and then there is the competition with the cable companies finally brings. :D (They just started rolling out the TV service in Keller TX to start the party!)

Lee DeRaud
09-21-2005, 7:29 PM
Unless there has been a technology change that I missed (could easily happen), ADSL is still limited to 18,000 ft max (by wire) from the CO and yes, at that extended length, speed will be lower. (All the sources I just Googled on the subject confirm that max distance)Sounds about right: I said "upping the maximum" because I remember being told "15K max", then "16K max", then...you get the idea. What they don't mention is the falloff in data rate past 75-80% of the nominal max distance. I suspect the limit for the speeds they tend to advertise really is still ~15000 feet.

Some of the less scrupulous vendors (not most of the major players thankfully) will sign people up out to about 20K. The typical scenario is that it doesn't work and the vendor "investigates the problem" and tries (as cheaply as possible) to get it running at something better than dial-up rates, collecting the monthly DSL fees the whole time. The key thing for potential DSL customers to remember is, if your local phone company tells you DSL won't work at your location, believe it: the guys that try to tell you it will work are using the same chunk of copper wire.

John Shuk
09-21-2005, 7:38 PM
Dsl is available now through cabinets that are fed with fiber and then distributed to a neighborhood on copper. We have been putting in shelves from Acterna for about 2 years now to accomplish this. This has at least stopped some of the loss of access lines to CATV. I've found that 18k ft works just fine for DSL. There is no appreciable loss in speed for most customers. Usually noise on the line is caused by a fault and you should call the repair dept. to have it fixed.

Don Baer
09-21-2005, 7:40 PM
I live too far from the switch to get DSL. I've been using Charter Cable for a coule of years and it works great. I have 3 neighbor who are on the same hookup as me and have 3 computers in the house hooked up to the same router. I can't see any differance in through put other then the fact that some of the servers I contact tend to be slower then my connection speed.

Jason Roehl
09-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I was paying $50 for 500k DSL (~400k up). This was about 2 blocks from the CO. They were limiting the speed at the office due to being a phone co-op in a small town (they can only afford so much bandwidth). I switched to cable ($30 for 4M/400k). Now it sounds like within a year or so our phone co-op will be offering cable (TV and i-net, possibly). I don't think many folks have cable internet around here, so I don't really EVER experience slow-downs. Plus, it was an excuse for me to get digital cable TV...(bundle)...

Scott Coffelt
09-22-2005, 2:22 PM
Thanks for the speed site, the last time I checked I was very displeased with the results. I will try this one. I have noticed my speeds have dropped severely in the last month. It's funny how cable companies are quite happy raising rate$ and the speed doesn't go along with it.

I have seriously though about going the DSL route, but really hate switching for similar speeds. I was getting well over 1-2Meg downloads until that last month. If it continues, maybe I'll give the old cable company a call.

Bill Lewis
09-27-2005, 6:50 PM
I thought I was having a problem, things seemed to be going slow lately. I just tried "myspeed" and got 6.4 Mbps Down, and 360 up. 6:40 pm. Cable ISP Of course, I try it again seconds later and I get some variance in the down speed from 5.5 to 7.0. The upload stays pretty much the same. On the other hand, the Quality of Service went from 85% to 70% to 68% to 59%. This seems to have alot of variance, and I wonder if it isn't a better example of what's going on, or at least, what I suspect is going on. The cable company came looking for noise the other day. They attribute it to my nieghbor. He's been out of service for about a week now.

Lee DeRaud
09-27-2005, 9:14 PM
Heh. Tried 'myspeed' and only got 1.5Mbps download :eek:, then realized I was on the laptop...the wireless laptop.
The hardwired machine upstairs is showing 4.7Mbps :D . Both show ~400Kbps upload, 90+% QoS.

The funny bit is, Adelphia claims I'm only supposed to get 3Mbps at the "basic" level.:p