PDA

View Full Version : Question about adjusting files for laser width

Chris Neal
05-23-2016, 1:39 PM
Greeting everyone. I'm new to laser machines and have been reading a lot in this forum over the past week, but I didn't find the answer to one particular question, and I was hoping to get some input:

<edited to add: Intended for cutting purposes>

Offsetting outside and inside contours to adjust for laser width can be time consuming. Does any of the software that comes with Chinese lasers such as Auto Laser or Laser Works provide this feature automatically? I'd like to able to export DXFs from existing CAD files and have them be auto adjusted in the laser app to make holes and outlines the correct size. Right now I'm using LaserDRW with my k40, and it doesn't seem to have this function.

thanks,
Chris

Bert Kemp
05-23-2016, 2:14 PM
if your talking about the kerf what I do is just make the size a hairline smaller then actual size and it comes out about right. Only takes a second to adjust the size. and really if your focus is correct the kerf is very small and should make a big difference. I don't think you have to be that exact with what ever your doing. As far as automatic settings I don't think your K40 will have that.

Dave Sheldrake
05-23-2016, 2:18 PM
Cutter Comp, out of luck on a K40 I'm afraid,

Chris Neal
05-23-2016, 4:36 PM
I should have mentioned: One of the reasons I'm asking now is because I'm looking to upsize to a 6040 or 5070 Chinese laser (G.Weike, Shenhui, or Rayfine maybe). They either come with Auto Laser or Laser Works depending on the brand/controller it seems. So I figured whichever software, if any, had this feature, it could help me choose a machine.

Bert, like I said I've been reading the forums lately, and your support of Rabbit had me looking into those. My deciding factor for going with a system direct from China instead of a Rabbit was their delivery program. When inquiring about shipping fees to see what t would cost from OH to CA, I found out they won't just ship it. Instead they need to deliver it, set up, and train. So I tried working with that a bit "What if I come to your shop for training and pick it up or ship it from there?" and the reply was: they don't do it that way. If I were near OH I'm sure I'd go with a Rabbit.

The part you might find funny about my search for a new laser: I'm using my refund from a Glowforge that I'd bought many months ago to fund this. They put off production one too many times for me.

Yesterday I attended the Maker Faire in San Francisco and was able to see a few manufacturers: Glowforge, FSL, and ULS. The Universal rep was the most helpful, answering any questions I had, but there were no amazing show deals to be had, so I moved on. Glowforge was swamped with potential customers, so I wasn't able to get any more than a glance over other peoples' shoulders. FSL had 1 ragged-out looking $3499 machine on display. It looked scratched up all over. My thoughts came back to the posts I've read here... about 50/50 good/bad towards that company, and I was finished looking into their display. If it were me, I would have spent some company dollars to at least put a new lid on the thing or something.

Rich Harman
05-23-2016, 4:57 PM
I think you will find that you will rarely need to compensate for kerf. I rarely do, and I cut things that must fit together all the time. If you do find a need for it then you can do as Bert says and shrink the drawing slightly - but that only works for simple shapes. Shrinking it (scaling) does not do the same thing as offsetting. Scaling will affect the dimensions differently depending upon where the line is located. For example, a square with a hole in the center. If you intend to scale it to remove .2mm from the edge of the square, you can easily do that, but then the circle in the center will be reduced by a lesser amount.

RDCam/Laserworks does have an offset tool. It is not automatic though, you have to select and apply it to each shape, then you have to delete (or change color) of the original line.

Chris Neal
05-23-2016, 6:33 PM
OK, thanks Bert, Dave, and Rich!

I probably won't need it. It's good to know there are specific G-codes for this purpose though: Cutter Compensation.

Also yesterday at the show I saw a new American manufacturer's system. Currently they only offer 1 model, and it's too small for my upsizing intentions, but the product looked solid.
https://voccell.com/wp/

Bill George
05-23-2016, 7:06 PM
The width of the laser dot or line even on my little diode laser is about the thickness of a human hair or even less. Are you building things for the space program?

Dave Sheldrake
05-23-2016, 8:39 PM
OK, thanks Bert, Dave, and Rich!

I probably won't need it. It's good to know there are specific G-codes for this purpose though: Cutter Compensation.

Also yesterday at the show I saw a new American manufacturer's system. Currently they only offer 1 model, and it's too small for my upsizing intentions, but the product looked solid.
https://voccell.com/wp/

American made case (although I doubt it) but those internals are fully Chinese, the PSU, Driver cards, Mainboard, wiring, steppers...all basic chinese kit

Bert Kemp
05-23-2016, 9:45 PM
Well I don't know what Ray at Rabbit was saying no to. I picked up my machine in Ohio and spent a day their training , can't believe he'd give up a sale for the sake of shipping/ Oh well . Have you looked at Auto Tech or Boss lasers here in the US

I should have mentioned: One of the reasons I'm asking now is because I'm looking to upsize to a 6040 or 5070 Chinese laser (G.Weike, Shenhui, or Rayfine maybe). They either come with Auto Laser or Laser Works depending on the brand/controller it seems. So I figured whichever software, if any, had this feature, it could help me choose a machine.

Bert, like I said I've been reading the forums lately, and your support of Rabbit had me looking into those. My deciding factor for going with a system direct from China instead of a Rabbit was their delivery program. When inquiring about shipping fees to see what t would cost from OH to CA, I found out they won't just ship it. Instead they need to deliver it, set up, and train. So I tried working with that a bit "What if I come to your shop for training and pick it up or ship it from there?" and the reply was: they don't do it that way. If I were near OH I'm sure I'd go with a Rabbit.

The part you might find funny about my search for a new laser: I'm using my refund from a Glowforge that I'd bought many months ago to fund this. They put off production one too many times for me.

Yesterday I attended the Maker Faire in San Francisco and was able to see a few manufacturers: Glowforge, FSL, and ULS. The Universal rep was the most helpful, answering any questions I had, but there were no amazing show deals to be had, so I moved on. Glowforge was swamped with potential customers, so I wasn't able to get any more than a glance over other peoples' shoulders. FSL had 1 ragged-out looking $3499 machine on display. It looked scratched up all over. My thoughts came back to the posts I've read here... about 50/50 good/bad towards that company, and I was finished looking into their display. If it were me, I would have spent some company dollars to at least put a new lid on the thing or something.

Chris Neal
05-24-2016, 5:06 AM
Ok. They're another American distributor instead of manufacturer I guess. While browsing through G.Weike's site tonight I noticed one machine that has the same frame as Voccell: The Storm 600 (http://www.wklaser.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&f=show&catid=128&l=2&id=254)

Chris Neal
05-24-2016, 12:44 PM
Bert,

I spoke with a woman at Rabbit Laser, so it wasn't Ray. Boss lasers seem pretty good.
Auto Tech (http://www.autotech-inc.com/laser.htm) I haven't seen much about. I only find a site that says Call Us for more info.

Kev Williams
05-24-2016, 1:41 PM
Another reason why I keep my 25 year old Casmate around, one-click cutter offsets, no muss or fuss, never tells me 'bitmap is too large'...

Gravostyle offsets quick & easy, but it has bugs. (Nothing like 4000 circles appearing amongst your graphic work)

Corel will offset using the 'contour tool', but it's clunky (to me), but still better than nothing. I'm assuming you have Corel, if not, get it- old versions are dirt cheap and work fine. If I had to rely only on the machine's software, I'd have been in the looneybin by now... ;)

Jerome Stanek
05-24-2016, 2:00 PM
Try Automation Technologies not Automation tech. As for the woman at Rabbit that was most likely Carole Ray's wife she is pretty good with the lasers