PDA

View Full Version : Trouble setting cut and engrave parameters

Robin Loewen
05-22-2016, 5:32 PM
Hello,

In the picture attached, I would like to engrave the tree but not the logo inside the tree (Niagara Sustainability Initiative). When I set my laser up, to engrave the tree, it engraves the entire area inside the tree lines. How can I set up the settings so the laser does not engrave where the logo is?

Thanks, Robin337906

Bert Kemp
05-22-2016, 7:20 PM
would help if we knew what laser and software you have also if its a vector image or bitmap ,jpeg, ect ect also what design software you have :D

Robin Loewen
05-22-2016, 9:39 PM
Hi Bert, My laser is a custom built laser from Chinese parts. The software is proprietary to the engineer who built the machine. I know that doesn't help! The file is a DXF file created from a vector in Illustrator. I have attached a screen shot of my software screen.337919

I do not have a print function. I download the file from my laser software. In the laser software, I designated the tree outline to engrave and thought that the machine would read around the logo.

Sorry, this isn't much to go by.

Robin Loewen
05-22-2016, 9:40 PM
The settings should be blue engrave and red cut in the above picture.

Bill Carruthers
05-23-2016, 7:55 AM
Hi Bert, My laser is a custom built laser from Chinese parts. The software is proprietary to the engineer who built the machine. I know that doesn't help! The file is a DXF file created from a vector in Illustrator. I have attached a screen shot of my software screen.337919

I do not have a print function. I download the file from my laser software. In the laser software, I designated the tree outline to engrave and thought that the machine would read around the logo.

Sorry, this isn't much to go by.

Robin, if it is similar to RDCam and generic Chinese software then you "ungroup" the dxf file - select and delete what you don't want then cut(vector) or scan (raster) the remainder as needed.

Robin Loewen
05-23-2016, 8:46 AM
Hi Bill, I would still like to have the logo in the file, I just want to engrave around it.

Keith Winter
05-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Might be more of an illustrator question than anything. Laser is a slave to the file if you are doing the editing in another software. Try making the logo layer a different color and grouping it with the layer you are engraving . Then only tell it to engrave the color of the area you want to engrave in the laser software. Other color set to skip or don't engrave.

Bert Kemp
05-23-2016, 2:56 PM
Make a copy of the file then delete the logo and engrave the tree. Then if you want to put in the logo just go back to original file3 and engrave it in. Can't you just uncheck the red box??

Hi Bill, I would still like to have the logo in the file, I just want to engrave around it.

Wilbur Harris
05-24-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm with Bert...if you can't delete it or "uncheck" it, set the power to zero and let 'er rip. On the other hand, perhaps I don't fully understand the problem.

Bill George
05-24-2016, 10:53 AM
The software is proprietary to the engineer who built the machine.

Looks like your "engineer" Used a Chinese controller and software on his special machine. If you can safety gain access to the controller area and look for a name then you could research and download what documentation there is. Or you could ask your "engineer" to provide.

It looks a lot like the LaserCut software that came with my Chinese G.Weike laser and it was pretty decent.

Kev Williams
05-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Forgive the ridiculously bad tracing that I don't have time to fix (which is why I still use 25 year old graphics programs) , BUT--

this is my idea of what I think you're looking to achieve? Let us know...