PDA

View Full Version : Side beaders

Brent Cutshall
05-22-2016, 4:46 PM
Hi all, I've been starring at an iron for a beading plane (I can't remember how I came by it) for a while now and I have decided to make a body for it. Any tips?

Jim Koepke
05-22-2016, 5:21 PM
Maybe an image of the blade would help.

If it is a side beading plane most of those use boxing on the side away from the fence.

Also if you have a plane that can cut a flute complementary to the bead it would be a lot of help.

jtk

Brent Cutshall
05-23-2016, 9:51 AM
Sorry for the wait, I put it in the shop the other day and now I can't find it. But here's what the iron looks like and what body it would go in.

Jim Koepke
05-23-2016, 11:10 AM
It looks like the blade might fit one of the bodies you have.

The point on the side of the blade away from the plane body's fence should have a slight flat to help form a smooth quirk. The side also needs a slight bevel and a well formed arris to keep the wall of the quirk smooth and well formed.

Interested in seeing how it goes for you.

jtk

Chuck Nickerson
05-23-2016, 1:30 PM
If you haven't made a hollow & round pair, the source material for those will be a big help. DVD's by Todd Herli (simple) and Larry Williams (comprehensive) are common starting points.

If you've made an H&R pair, I've got one tip to offer. I used a box joint blade pair (1/4" and 3/8") on my table saw to make the groove for the boxing before any of the mortising or shaping of the bottom profile.