PDA

View Full Version : Alternative image hosting services to Photobucket?

Erik Loza
05-20-2016, 5:40 PM
One of the things I do is send customers links to albums I have in my Photobucket. There appears to be some issue that Photobucket cannot resolve that, in a nutshell, resets every one of my album passwords to some default word of their choosing any time I back out of a page or refresh it, which renders it useless if I try to send a customer a link to this or that album. What I need is a hosting service that I can upload images to, then share password-protected images or albums with to other folks. Editing is not a priority, just hosting and storage. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Erik

Matt Day
05-20-2016, 7:15 PM
I don't know if it'll do something what you want, but I have friends that like smugmug a lot.

What about Picasa too?

Chris Parks
05-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Buy an NAS and enable it for external access would be my suggestion. Synology is one brand that can do that and you have complete control.

Curt Harms
05-21-2016, 7:33 AM
I use gmx.com for email, they also offer 2 GB. storage if that is enough. You can make contents of the 'cloud' space viewable to others by sending a link. I haven't used the 'cloud' space but their email service has been reliable. I don't know about customer service because I've never had to use it.

http://www.gmx.com/tools/file-storage/#.2831734-stage-gridelement4-1

There are other similar services - Dropbox is the best know but I have no experience there. A NAS as Chris suggests would give the most control and unlimited storage but I don't know what's involved in setting one up and securing it.

Peter Kelly
05-21-2016, 8:58 AM
Flickr or Google Photos. Upload directly, edit and create albums from your smartphone with either app.

You could also use Imgur which is free but I don't believe there's any way of controlling user privileges per gallery.

Greg Cuetara
05-21-2016, 4:51 PM
Does it have to be a specific image photo service? You might want to look into dropbox and see if that works better for you. You can share specific folders with people.

Greg

roger wiegand
05-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Very happy with Smugmug. Does everything, very professionally, and there are real humans to help you when you have a problem. Lots of tools to present different appearances and photos to different users with adjustable privacy settings-- it's used a lot by pro photographers Not free, but a good example of getting superior value from a good tool. Integrates quite nicely with Lightroom.

Erik Loza
05-23-2016, 4:34 PM
Thanks, gents. I'm going to look into both Google Drive and then Smugmug. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Erik

Jim Becker
05-23-2016, 9:10 PM
Be sure you read the TOS....I don't think you can use Google drive for commercial purposes, although I could be wrong about that.

Chris Parks
05-23-2016, 9:31 PM
Definitely read the TOS, if it is the same as the Gmail TOS it allows Google to use anything in an email for their own purposes.

Erik Loza
05-24-2016, 1:51 PM
I was not aware of that with Google Drive. Thanks for the heads-up.

Erik

Brett Luna
05-24-2016, 4:19 PM
I was happy with smugmug until the big pro account price increase. I've been pretty satisfied with Zenfolio ever since.

Terry Hatfield
05-24-2016, 4:53 PM
I've been super happy with Flickr Pro. I think it's $25 per year for a ridiculous amount of storage. Good photo editor. You can create albums super easy. Just drag and drop.