PDA

View Full Version : Need motor wiring help please

Scott Brandstetter
05-20-2016, 11:32 AM
So I have never wired an electric motor and need to make sure I understand it. I have wired my shop, installed a new sub panel, and installed 220 outlets so I'm not a total new guy to wiring. Below are the pics I hope will help explain what I am looking for
337743 This is the diagram from the motor. The motor can be wired multiple ways but I plan to hook it up 115v.
337744This is how I would like the finished wiring to look.

If I had to guess, L1 would be the hot and L2 the neutral and the extra wires would simply be grouped together with a wire nut (used for 220). Any help with the L1, L2 meaning if I am wrong.

Thanks so much in advance

Charles Taylor
05-20-2016, 11:56 AM
It won't matter to the motor how you assign hot and neutral to L1 and L2. It does matter at the switch, however. Follow that diagram closely, and make sure the ground wire from the switch enclosure is attached to the motor frame. Don't assume there will be a grounding path from the switch enclosure through the machine to the motor frame. Ground the motor.

A motor duty switch/starter is preferable to an ordinary light switch.

To paraphrase the diagram from the motor...

Wire nut either the (switched) hot or neutral coming from the switch enclosure to P1.

To have the motor spin CCW,

- Wire nut P2, T3, and T8 together.
- Wire nut the other lead from the switch enclosure together with T2, T4, and T5.

To have the motor spin CW, swap T5 and T8.

If you were wiring for 240V, you'd use a double-pole switch/starter and wire both hot leads through it, and you'd use the diagram from the motor marked 230V or 240V.

Scott Brandstetter
05-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Thanks Charles, got it wired up last night and works perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Charles Taylor
05-24-2016, 1:18 PM
Outstanding. Glad to help.