PDA

View Full Version : What size scraper?

Michael Cole
05-20-2016, 10:44 AM
What size scraper should I purchase as a first scraper? D-Way tools has a very large one and a slightly smaller one. Which should I start with and what size handle?

mike ash
05-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Scrapers are extremely valuable turning tools and I have a bunch of different sizes and shapes. If I were to buy my first one it would be the 3/4" round scraper that DWay sells ($54) for the steel only. You can order handles or you can make your own much cheaper, more satisfaction and get some practice while you are at it. There are a number of posts/tutorial here of turners making their own handles. Also, Robo Hippie has a number of you-tubes out there on scrapers, sharpening and using. Have fun!

Bob Bouis
05-20-2016, 11:07 AM
It depends on what you're going to do with it. Generally I'd recommend getting a larger, heavier one since they tend to be easier to use and better for beginner-type projects. But it just depends.

Roger Chandler
05-20-2016, 11:07 AM
For my first, I would get the round nose, 1" wide and 1/4 thick.....I have found that size to be good for cleaning up ridges, tool marks and end grain tearout inside bowls and platters........as I have grown in my skills, I don't much have tool marks any more, but the end grain tearout happens, and this tool works well at smoothing cuts, especially at a shearing angle.

The one I have of this size is a Benjamin's Best from PSI. I have other sizes from other makers, and like them a lot, but the B's B is the one I use the most. Second would be a square scraper......great for inside of boxes.

Reed Gray
05-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Well, I think any beyond 3/8 thick, and 1 1/4 wide are over kill. In part because of the weight, and in part because that is a lot of metal to stick into a piece of spinning wood. I do have a lot of videos up about scrapers and the Big Ugly tool, which most of the time is a DIY tool. Some like the bigger ones for 'stability'. For me, stability only becomes an issue if you are hanging out too far off the tool rest. 1/4 thick and 3/4 wide is a common size for small scrapers. For me, I have one that is a negative rake scraper that I use inside scoops. The other I use as a shear scraper outside bowls, but don't use it often because I like bigger ones for that. I can stall my Beauty with my 1 inch wide Big Ugly tool...

robo hippy