PDA

View Full Version : Commercial air filter recommendations for large laser cutter?

Paul Rawsley
05-20-2016, 5:15 AM
Hi - we're getting a 900x600 laser cutter for our office building which will need to be exhaust air back into the room, and I'm wondering what air filter to get. I would like it to have a pre-filter, HEPA filter, and carbon filter.

How much CFM does the laser bed really need? I see quotes of 650 CFM for some of the well known brands (e.g. Epilog) but is this just the manufacturer being overly cautious?

I actually can't find many commercial options that were rated for that much CFM. Here is one for roughly $4k shipped: http://www.sentryair.com/ss-400-pyt.htm - but with HEPA + Carbon it can't have a pre-filter, according to the manufacturer. I suspect the HEPA filter will fill up quickly.

Thanks for any advice.

Clark Pace
05-20-2016, 6:23 AM
Open bed laser are much harder to reduce fumes in my experience.

Henri Sallinen
05-20-2016, 7:27 AM
TBH is a good product. They make quite large extraction machines for lasers. Similar to BOFA I think

Dave Sheldrake
05-20-2016, 8:32 AM
Chinese or Western made laser?

If Chinese you aren't going to have much fun in an office with it

Bill George
05-20-2016, 8:47 AM
I wonder how he is going to get it in the office? Think 36 inches is common door width.

Paul Rawsley
05-20-2016, 2:38 PM
Dave - could you elaborate? We're looking at a Rabbit Laser model, so Chinese-made. Clark, it's enclosed (24"x36"), not open-bed.

Will look into TBH more but we are in the US. I also couldn't find any CFM numbers on their site.

Keith Winter
05-20-2016, 3:16 PM
Not sure I'd put it in the office depending on your application. What are you going to be cutting / engraving?

Bert Kemp
05-20-2016, 3:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the Rabbit 9060 will come apart to fit thru a standard 36" door, its an enclosed case not open bed.
Are you getting it from Rabbit USA or importing? If getting it from Ray I'm sure he can guide you as to what filters and blowers you need for its location.:) He will most likely come set it up for you

Dave Sheldrake
05-20-2016, 5:27 PM
Dave - could you elaborate? We're looking at a Rabbit Laser model, so Chinese-made. Clark, it's enclosed (24"x36"), not open-bed.

Will look into TBH more but we are in the US. I also couldn't find any CFM numbers on their site.

Good machines, (I have one next to me) sadly China hasn't really caught up on flow dynamics as yet so often even a jet engine type fan won't shift all the air. It's not the amount of air the fan pulls, it's the amount the case allows back in to replace it that controls smoke and fumes.

Great choice of machine though, I kicked my HX (that's the manufacturer of Rabbit Lasers) to hell and back with zero effective maintenance and never had any problems

Keith Downing
05-20-2016, 6:56 PM
Not sure I'd put it in the office depending on your application. What are you going to be cutting / engraving?

+1 on this.

Venting in an enclosed room or shop is one thing. In an office building, where I assume any abnormal smell will be noticed, there are certain things I wouldn't even consider cutting. Not to mention the possibility of flare ups from wood or acrylic where you'll need to potentially open the case to deal with them.

Kev Williams
05-20-2016, 7:59 PM
The Harbor Freight green/gray blowers say 660 CFM right on 'em. Just checked.. ;) They move plenty of air, especially if you put a 6" outlet vent on 'em.

I just replaced 2 of them that I bought in 2002 and 2004, the were outside and probably ran at least 6 hours a day. Only thing wrong with them is one of the two motor bearings.

Their only flaw is, the housings aren't exactly air-tight, which means if they're INside and you don't want smoke or smell, you'll have to figure out how to seal them up better. But there's nothing to them, a few screws and they're apart.

Keith Downing
05-20-2016, 9:02 PM
Also, if you're putting everything in an enclosed room, you really, really want to pay attention to noise level. My blower is the loudest thing running BY FAR when I'm using the laser. I generally try to wear ear plugs. Don't buy one without hearing it or getting a decibel level if it will be in a small space.