PDA

View Full Version : Outboard tool rest question

Tony Sizemore
09-20-2005, 1:20 PM
I want to do some outboard turning, but the set-up on my lathe is not worth a darn. I have heard people speak of a tool rest that just sets on the floor. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cecil Arnold
09-20-2005, 2:47 PM
Tony, Delta, Jet, and Powermatic make floor rests for their lathes. Considering what they are they are rather pricy IMHO but seem to be the way to go if you want to do large turnings. I trust your lathe will sslow down to an appropriate speed to do this.

Richard Allen
09-20-2005, 7:07 PM
A free standing toolrest is okay for ocasional outboard work. There are a few issues with an freestanding rest. The forces that occour with a larger turning are a LOT more than with a turning that will fit over the bed. Those forces will be transfered to the toolrest and eventualy to the floor. Because the forces are greater the chance of disaster is greater. There is a very good chance that the lathe will bounce a little. THe toolrest will also likely bounce. When the toolrest is supported by the lathe the bounceing is in sync.

If you plan to do a lot of outboad turning you should plan on attaching the toolrest support to the lathe in some way.

Dennis Peacock
09-20-2005, 7:19 PM
Tony,

Listen to what Richard says......The forces of turning larger pieces are under-estimatable....sheesh...is that a word? :rolleyes:
Any way.....An outboard rest needs to be really heavy and well supported. I have sheared a standard 12" toolrest before while turning a large chunk (18" diameter) and caught an internal knot in the wood and it snapped the tool rest in half. Luckily I survived the incident physically...well....except for a light soiling of the trousers :rolleyes: and then ordering a new toolrest for my lathe. I now have a much larger lathe and am VERY careful when turning pieces that are over 16" in diameter. You'd be surprised how easy it is to make an 800 pound lathe walk the shop floor with a large piece of wood spinning on it. DAMHIKT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a lot of fun.....but also does test the nerves just a bit at times. ;)

Andy Hoyt
09-20-2005, 7:52 PM
A friend of mine with a similar issue proposed this solution.

Get a 12" long piece of 12" diameter cardboard sonotube. Cut a chunk of plywood to fit snugly in one end and coat it with oil before setting it in. Put a few wraps of 86 mph duct tape on it, then fill it with concrete. Set you extra long tool rest post in this. Walk away for a few days. remove duct tape and plywood and sonotube.

Wonder if it would work?

Tony Sizemore
09-20-2005, 8:48 PM
Thanks guys. I don’t know if I have the nerve yet to try this it was just a thought. I also do not know if my lathe has what it take to turn a large piece outboard.

Dennis Peacock
09-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys. I don’t know if I have the nerve yet to try this it was just a thought. I also do not know if my lathe has what it take to turn a large piece outboard.

Tony,

That's easy to find out.....Glue 8 solid cap concrete blocks together and mount them to your lathe. If it will spin it while taking a beating....then your lathe will handle it. :p :p :p :rolleyes:

No...I haven't tried it....and I never will. ;) But strapping a 65 pound wood blank to your lathe and spinning it.....is like what I stated above. :rolleyes:

Glenn Hodges
09-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Sounds like what Elvis said, TROUBLE.