PDA

View Full Version : Workbench counter tops

Jim Riseborough
05-19-2016, 7:51 AM
I go a deal deal on some Ikea cabinets, and installed them in my garage. I am wanting to put some hardwood counters in, I have a ton of rough lumber and was wondering if I should put a sheet of plywood or something under the lumber to thicken it up, I can glue it all together? Whats your thoughts? I can also strengthen the cabinets as needed, but they are pretty stout already, even for Ikea stuff.

The length would be about 8' for the two sides, in the middle I am going to put my miter saw.

Jim Dwight
05-19-2016, 8:51 AM
You wouldn't want to fasten solid wood to plywood securely because the solid wood moves. I think a 3/4 to 1 inch thick hardwood top would be fine but if you want more strength, you should double layer it, at least around the edge.

Jim Riseborough
05-19-2016, 9:10 AM
It spans the long direction of the cabinet, and with the ikea cabinets, there are no frames to allow me to put cross slats. Perhaps double layer it all around and have a two way span of sorts on top.

Jim Becker
05-19-2016, 2:09 PM
You can easily add support structure to the cabinets if you need it. That said, a nice 1" thick solid wood surface is going to be pretty darn strong...

Rod Sheridan
05-19-2016, 2:14 PM
Hi Jim, my shop base cabinets are made from 19mm Baltic Birch and they're just great.

Solid wood would be even stronger...............Rod.

Mike Holbrook
05-19-2016, 2:31 PM
I ended up with a free bathroom cabinet after a basement build out. I just decided to turn it into a sawing/gluing station. I installed 1/8" luan over the drawers (to catch sawdust & dirt) and a Festool MDF table top on top of the cabinet. Now I can use all my Festool clamps to secure bench hooks, wood being worked or glued, Festool accessories.....

I also installed Lee Valley folding brackets, which will hold 400 lbs, on the back side of the cabinet. When I install the top on the brackets I will have a fold down table top on the back of the cabinet as well.

Jim Riseborough
05-25-2016, 1:05 PM
I think I solved my dilemma. I found some 8/4 x 6" wide tongue and groove yellow pine reclaimed flooring in 10' lengths. I should be able to do the counters and span the 4'. Should only cost about 30 cents a board foot too!