PDA

View Full Version : New sawmill is up and running!

Kelly Hanna
05-18-2016, 9:13 PM
Been more than a few years since I have been on the forum. I stopped building anything but decks and pergolas for a few years and because I wasn't building any furniture or cabinets, I left all the woodworking forums I was on. During this time, I set a plan in motion to save for a sawmill. We sold our house in Terrell and moved out to the country [something I have been itching to do for awhile]. We've been renting for the last three years on a little half acre and saving a ton of money.

Early this year after I sold a portable building I paid off and then put it with savings and made the call. I bought a Woodland Mills HM 126 with a 24' bed. I mounted it on a permanent base of 4x8 & 4x10 cedar beams I had in the wood yard. Put a few trees in it for practice and now I am ready to roll. the idea is to cut part time and at some point, have this replace building decks in Dallas. I will also be building rustic furniture and rural projects including decks and cabins with wood I cut on the mill from the clients.

The end game is to build my own log home from logs I take in from local ranchers and farmers...most of which will be eastern red cedar. The last cut I made on the mill was a large Bois D'Arc limb off my own tree. Still have the trunk that needs to come down....it will go straight to the mill as well. Sure is fun making slabs and boards from trees!

Cody Colston
05-19-2016, 7:11 AM
Heya Kelly, good to see you back posting again. Congratulations on the new sawmill. With a 24' capacity, you can saw some long ERC logs.
If that Bois d' Arc is from a limb, the trunk must be a big one for sure!

Chris Padilla
05-19-2016, 7:46 PM
Kelly!! Man, haven't heard from you in a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGG time! Glad you are back and it appears life is well! :)

Bradley Gray
05-19-2016, 10:26 PM
Nice. Is that Osage? I have a pile of too dry Osage logs I need to slice up. What kind of blade are you using - looks like you are getting great results!

Dennis Peacock
05-31-2016, 4:29 PM
Kelly Hanna...!!!! What a very pleasant surprise.!!!!! :D :D

Kelly Hanna
06-12-2016, 4:54 PM
Yessir....it's been a very long time, good to hear from all of you! Yes, Bo'Dark [Bois D' Arc Texas spelling] is also called Osage Orange. The trunk is about 20" in diameter. I had promised the trunk to a friend for his gate post, but he's not been able to get by here to get it, so it will be on the mill soon. I have a cousin who needs a dining room table to seat ten, so this one might be the way to go.

Life has been good since I last was on here. We are about a year away from a land purchase, shooting for a few acres of our own! Hope you all have been doing well.

Kelly Hanna
06-12-2016, 5:09 PM
Oh...almost forgot. I bought ten blades from Woodland Mills...they are 144" long, have about a 5/16" gullet and about 1 tooth per inch. Aggressive enough to rip right through the Bo'Dark and sail through the ERC!