PDA

View Full Version : looking for my first laser! advice please.

squire strahan
05-18-2016, 8:43 PM
im super stoked to be aprt of this forum thank you!

im looking into getting my first laser! i have narrowed it down to a few option and would like some advice if its not to much trouble.

these are the machine ive looked at.

bosslaser ls-1416 gen 5
https://www.bosslaser.com/boss-ls-1416.html#.Vz0JDfkrKUk
the convient thing is i live in florida about a hour away from there office so i am able to pick it up. i got qouted 5,126.37 which includes a water chiller and a spare 60w laser tube. 12 month warrenty on parts and 3 months on laser tube.

redsail cm-1290 80w
http://www.redsailcnc.com/PRODUCT/PRODUCT1/97.html
i was qouted 3299$ included shipping from a sales rep name judy from redsail. same warrenty from boss laser.

fslaser hobby 5th gen
https://fslaser.com/Product/Hobby
im sure you guys know all the details about this one. i was leaning towards this one because of the software.

ive been reading into Chinese laser and such for the past few days, and know about them and how most of these machine are just rebranded lasers.

i dont have a hudge budget around 3000-4000 max. i would love to get an epilog or trotec but just not able to afford it at this time.

i will mostly be cutting wood paper/cardstock acrylic or anything that am able to find....haha do you guys recomended anything else? or any experience with those brands or models?
im a tinker and know how to fix things but i dont want to sit with a 4000$ box in my garage.im a graphic designer and know how to use illustrator and corel and know my around the computer so that not a promblem.

any help would be greatly appreciated im really excited and look forward to hearing back from yall!

squire

Dave Sheldrake
05-18-2016, 9:12 PM
Go with the redsail, Judy Song is a nice enough lady, I know her quite well.

The Boss is just a rebranded Weike and that CW3000 isn't a chiller, its a cooler and is rated to 50 watts maximum not 60. (its also less than $250 to import it, not nearly the $800 from boss)

Keith Winter
05-18-2016, 9:40 PM
Remember to add customs fees, inland freight (in addition to sea freight), and installation costs into your budget (electrical and duct work)

squire strahan
05-18-2016, 9:42 PM
Thanks dave! I'm sorry about all the typos I used siri on the way home hahah. Do you have experience with red sail? How well are the machines? I think the 1290 is a little bigger then I need. I message judy about a smaller machine earlier. Still wanting for a reply back.

squire strahan
05-18-2016, 9:57 PM
Thanks Keith! I also got a qoute from thunder laser for the nova24 5100$ Dhl to my door any experience with thunder?

Scott Cowell
05-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Squire,

These folk ARE great and full of helpful information and advice. Check out the thread about the failed XB-1060 purchase. I am just about to "pull the trigger" and currently shopping quotes. This community helped me narrow down my wants and needs, talked me into some things and out of others. A great dialogue to follow.

That said, I will follow this thread too. More opinions, more advice, and another newbie wanting to get involved.

Spend lots of time reading here, you will find stuff you had not yet considered or thought of. Listen to the advice of our elders and those that have walked this road before us. Some of these folk earn a living doing this and some are hobbyists; each having their own experiences, stories and wisdom. Listen to them all, even when what they say is not what you want to hear. In the end, it will be your decision as to which model, size, power, accessories and extras you choose. These folk and this forum will help you make informed choices.

I say, if you have the desire to add this tool to your graphic design toolbox, go for it! I know you are excited and want this thing to be here YESTERDAY so you can start to play with it (I was too), but truly, DON'T RUSH IT. I now embrace and am thankful for my failed purchase attempt, as it made me stop, think, study and look around. I think that I will end up with a better built, more suited machine to play with when that monster crate finally arrives at my house, all because I stopped to take time to read and listen. - I am sure you and I would have loads of fun with whatever model ends up in our possession, but time spent here BEFORE the purchase will likely mean more time playing with the machine instead of fighting it: improved fun to frustration level. Plus, these folk are fun to talk to and have great war stories...

Good luck. Don't rush it. Do your homework. Let us know how it turns out, and show off your work down the road.

My two cents...
Scott.

Bert Kemp
05-19-2016, 12:44 AM
Have you Looked at Rabbit laser , I've had mine now getting close to 2 years and am happy with it so far.

Keith Downing
05-19-2016, 1:59 AM
im super stoked to be aprt of this forum thank you!

im looking into getting my first laser! i have narrowed it down to a few option and would like some advice if its not to much trouble.

these are the machine ive looked at.

bosslaser ls-1416 gen 5
https://www.bosslaser.com/boss-ls-1416.html#.Vz0JDfkrKUk
the convient thing is i live in florida about a hour away from there office so i am able to pick it up. i got qouted 5,126.37 which includes a water chiller and a spare 60w laser tube. 12 month warrenty on parts and 3 months on laser tube.

redsail cm-1290 80w
http://www.redsailcnc.com/PRODUCT/PRODUCT1/97.html
i was qouted 3299$ included shipping from a sales rep name judy from redsail. same warrenty from boss laser.

fslaser hobby 5th gen
https://fslaser.com/Product/Hobby
im sure you guys know all the details about this one. i was leaning towards this one because of the software.

ive been reading into Chinese laser and such for the past few days, and know about them and how most of these machine are just rebranded lasers.

i dont have a hudge budget around 3000-4000 max. i would love to get an epilog or trotec but just not able to afford it at this time.

i will mostly be cutting wood paper/cardstock acrylic or anything that am able to find....haha do you guys recomended anything else? or any experience with those brands or models?
im a tinker and know how to fix things but i dont want to sit with a 4000$ box in my garage.im a graphic designer and know how to use illustrator and corel and know my around the computer so that not a promblem.

any help would be greatly appreciated im really excited and look forward to hearing back from yall!

squire

I have the boss 1630. I noticed you're paying a decent amount over base price; I assume because you're adding the chiller and the extra tube. Neither are really necessary to get started. I insisted on the chiller for the piece of mind and, honestly, if you're in a warm climate it's probably better to use the bucket method with the pump (which is included in the base price) with ice, or go up to the CW5000 if you want a hands off solution because it actually cools the water via a refrigeration method instead of just a fan and re circulation.

Boss was fine to work with though, and it's a big plus having them that close.

Also, I believe the warranty on the machine (including the tube) is 1 year; at least that's what I was told when I purchased 5 months ago. I believe it is only the focal lenses that are warrantied for less time. And that makes sense because cracking one in a short time would really be on the user.

Keith Winter
05-19-2016, 8:55 AM
Thanks Keith! I also got a qoute from thunder laser for the nova24 5100$ Dhl to my door any experience with thunder?

You will still have duties and customs due on any import regardless if it's DHL or by sea. 10% of people "get lucky" and don't end up paying, but don't plan on it.

I like the Thunder, little more modern tech than the red sail, also a higher price. Search the forum for Thunder Laser you will find my review and reviews of all the other machines. All of these lasers have been discussed on the forum many times as well excluding maybe red sail. You won't find a ton about that brand on here, but there are a few posts worth reading, and there are a few users on the board. The chillers you're being offered the cw3000 and circulating water pump (fish tank pump) are not real chillers. You can probably make the fish tank pump work if you can keep the water cold, in the hot Florida weather I'm unsure. However the cw3000 for $545... as Dave said, is not a real chiller and certainly not worth $545.

Dave Sheldrake
05-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Redsail, Bodor, Weike, Thunder,HX King Rabbit all good.

Avoid AP Laser like the plague given what I'm sat here reading today about a machine they supplied

Jerome Stanek
05-19-2016, 11:43 AM
For about the same as the cw 3000 you can get true chiller and the spare tube I would not get as it may not work after sitting on a shelf as they have a short shelf life

squire strahan
05-19-2016, 11:56 AM
thank you, thank you! you guys have been a big help! looks like im leaning more towards the bosslaser since it is within distance of me and being able to pick it up! im just worried about quality and shipping of redsail and thunder and there support. i have another question, lets say i want ed to cut paper and card stock. how percise is it? if set up correctly. will one machine vary from another? or is it in the setup and software. i cant thank you guys enough.

Jerome Stanek
05-19-2016, 1:28 PM
I wouldn't rule the Boss out I would take some material and have them show me the cut and not get any extras as you said you can pick it up. Gweike are decent machines. I have one of their LG500 and really like it. While your there see if they will show you how to r it. For $4,000 it seems like a good price also.

Dave Sheldrake
05-19-2016, 3:31 PM
If you do speak to Judy at redsail again,she got married 2 weeks ago so is all over the place at the moment :)

Keith Downing
05-19-2016, 4:01 PM
the boss does sound tempted though since it is withing distance of me picking it up! im just wooried about quality and shipping.

I'm confused by this comment...

You're worried about quality and shipping? With Boss? But you're considering instead to buy a machine direct from china, which has never been tested and essentially has no warranty? That doesn't make any sense to me. It should be the opposite. You should be considering boss (or rabbit) because they guarantee their products with a real US warranty, are located in the states and take the time to properly upgrade (add a meter, honeycomb table, etc) each unit. At least if quality and working "out of the box" are your concerns.

And shipping should be zero if you can pick it up.

Just my $.02

Keith Downing
05-19-2016, 4:03 PM
And precision should be no problem on paper or cardstock with any reasonably good laser. I cut this on mine, using a template I downloaded online, in about 2-3 minutes.

There's a very slight burn on the edges, but it was just a test piece and I think lowering the power would have removed that issues completely.

Assuming they are made of reasonable quality, all Chinese machines should yield essentially the same result. Where the differences start is with different tubes; and also the US machines will run about 4-5 times faster than a Chinese machine which maxes at around 500mm/second. Of course, as you have already discovered, they are also 5 times the price.

squire strahan
05-19-2016, 4:44 PM
I'm confused by this comment...

You're worried about quality and shipping? With Boss? But you're considering instead to buy a machine direct from china, which has never been tested and essentially has no warranty? That doesn't make any sense to me. It should be the opposite. You should be considering boss (or rabbit) because they guarantee their products with a real US warranty, are located in the states and take the time to properly upgrade (add a meter, honeycomb table, etc) each unit. At least if quality and working "out of the box" are your concerns.

And shipping should be zero if you can pick it up.

Just my $.02

I apologize keith for the misunderstanding. I fixed my typos. I was driving and used talk to text when I posted that.

Here is what I was trying to say

looks like im leaning more towards the bosslaser since it is within distance of me being able to pick it up! im just worried about quality and shipping of redsail and thunder and there support.

squire strahan
05-19-2016, 4:47 PM
If you do speak to Judy at redsail again,she got married 2 weeks ago so is all over the place at the moment :)

Thanks Dave! I did send judy another message last night asking about a smaller machine.

Bert Kemp
05-19-2016, 7:34 PM
If your in FL then Boss would be your best bet you have local support and parts , everything I read says Boss laser are pretty good. Don't get a spare tube and don't get a 3000 chiller all that does is keep water at room temp. In Fl you need the 5000 or a bucket of water and Ice. I'm in AZ its 102 outside to day my house is around 80 I use a bucket and Ice my water temp right now is 60f. I use 1 gal milk jugs fill 3/4 water leave top off and freeze then put top on and drop in water bucket. 1 jug keeps water cool for up to 3 hours then I put in a new jug. If your a full time business running laser 8 hrs+ a day get the 5000 chiller.

Scott Marquez
05-19-2016, 7:48 PM
I would suggest buying a Boss laser, since you are so close to them.
I would next suggest that you send them samples to cut, and give them a chance to answer any questions that you have.
I purchased a Rabbit (Chinese machine) last year and have been very happy, with it. It works great and has been very productive. You will pay a few more dollars purchasing from a re-seller but it is worth every dollar to get support and training.
Enjoy, Scott