PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite fastcap stuff...

Victor Robinson
05-18-2016, 1:46 PM
I was getting ready to put in an order at Fastcap. Just wondering what people's favorite little gems are...

Personally I like their flatback measuring tapes, 3rd hand poles, kaizen foam, flush cut trimmers...and probably some other stuff that doesn't immediately come to mind.

Joe Jensen
05-18-2016, 2:44 PM
I use their CA glue and accelerator a lot. I had a ton of small mitered baseboard trim pieces in our master bath remodel. I glued sections of trim up and then fit them to the wall. Once in place I popped in some finish nails to hold as backup to the glue. As walls are never perfectly straight, plumb, and square this enabled me to have perfectly tight miters. Way fast too.

I also use their cabinet hanging screws, nice large head and designed for shear loads.

Garth Almgren
05-18-2016, 2:51 PM
I like the Glu-Bot and wouldn't mind getting a 10 Million Dollar Stick.

Victor Robinson
05-18-2016, 3:13 PM
I use their CA glue and accelerator a lot. I had a ton of small mitered baseboard trim pieces in our master bath remodel. I glued sections of trim up and then fit them to the wall. Once in place I popped in some finish nails to hold as backup to the glue. As walls are never perfectly straight, plumb, and square this enabled me to have perfectly tight miters. Way fast too.

I also use their cabinet hanging screws, nice large head and designed for shear loads.

Ah yes, I forgot about the 2P-10! I have been meaning to stick some of that in my next order for exactly the purpose you mentioned. Thanks for the reminder...I would have forgotten otherwise!

Greg Hines, MD
05-18-2016, 3:14 PM
I have had a Glu-bot for years, and I also got one of their left-handed tape measures recently.

Doc

Victor Robinson
05-18-2016, 3:15 PM
I like the Glu-Bot and wouldn't mind getting a 10 Million Dollar Stick.

I like the glu-bot too...and yes, was toying with throwing the 10M stick into my order.

Ben Rivel
05-18-2016, 4:47 PM
Well, so far I have two of their tape measures, the flush cutters, the gluebot and their edge banding trimmer. Havent seen anything else I thought was worth picking up, but those items so far have been great.

Tom Ewell
05-18-2016, 5:22 PM
I've actually used some Fastcaps :)

Speed clips hold all of my tapes, don't use the sharpeners much tho

jack of all trade (3rd hand stuff) gets used often enough, works for those last few floor boards against a wall and tweaking cabinets now and again.

Third hands for dust mitigation, laser leveling, propping up/adjusting cabinets, holding work lights, etc.

Speed tape holds clear splinter guards on my Festool tracks

Fastool not only for trimming edge/face banding but layout for euro hinge screw holes

richard poitras
05-18-2016, 7:38 PM
I have one of there 10 Million Dollar Sticks (the old wood handle kind) and like it a lot. They just came out with a new one that seems just as good from the pictures.

Nick Nelson
05-18-2016, 7:43 PM
Flush Cuts👍🏻

Rick Potter
05-22-2016, 3:01 AM
Haven't got it yet, but look forward to getting some of those stick on zero clearance insert tapes for the chop saw. They look like they will be very usefull.

fRED mCnEILL
05-23-2016, 4:49 PM
I just discovered Fast Cap and as I live close decided to go to the factory. As I drove around the building I didn't notice a sign saying "store" or something indicating they sold retail and almost left.then I decided to go into the office and ask. It's not fancy but they do have ALL the stuff on display. Staff was really nice and I asked if they had shopping carts. The girl gave me a hand basket.I said, I was hoping for a shopping cart that I could lean on as I have bad knees.lol. She got me one of their order picking carts and I spent the next hour "shopping". I didn't realize there were so many items I didn't know I needed. Cool place, nice people and neat stuff. And they had a box of "free" samples.

J.R. Rutter
05-23-2016, 6:11 PM
I just discovered Fast Cap and as I live close decided to go to the factory.

You live near Ferndale fRED? I drive by their new building every work day. I've never stopped in though.

George Bokros
05-23-2016, 6:18 PM
Haven't got it yet, but look forward to getting some of those stick on zero clearance insert tapes for the chop saw. They look like they will be very usefull.

Have these and they are great.

Garth Almgren
05-23-2016, 6:31 PM
I had no idea they were based in Washington... Just drove past it on Saturday on my way to/from Blaine!

fRED mCnEILL
05-23-2016, 8:34 PM
J.R., I live in Canada near Vancouver so its RELATIVELY close.

guy knight
05-24-2016, 12:26 PM
love these saves me so much time and looks so much nicer http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Stealth-Speed-Brace-4p13462.htm

Steve Kinnaird
05-24-2016, 4:30 PM
I just bought the FastCap ProCarpenter Flatback Tape Measure.
Looking forward to putting it to use.
I also have the larger Glu-Bot on it's way.

Scott Cenicola
07-12-2016, 6:55 PM
I purchased the million dollar finger because of this thread. Haven't had a need to use it yet, but seems to be a great safety idea. I also just picked up the flat back tape measure and it's awesome. How come none of you told me about those before? Pure genius.

Larry Frank
07-12-2016, 7:08 PM
I really like the accuracy of the flat back tape.

John Sanford
07-12-2016, 8:26 PM
I love their tapes. Also, the Speed Roller is DA BOMB!!!! If you're doing edge banding. I've got the Kaizen Foam, knife and pen, haven't gotten around to using it yet.

I know I have some other stuff of theirs, but the two that I can recommend w/o reservation are the tapes and Speed Roller.

Charles Lent
07-13-2016, 10:36 AM
The ten million stick is great. To me, it's the safety improvement equivalent of a Grripper but for a miter saw or radial arm saw or other places, even the router table, where you want to hold something down and don't want your fingers that close to the cutter. It's a little too long when using a miter saw without side tables, but it will work fine just holding the part with the two front feet and the rear foot in the air, without without it touching. It can also be used backwards, when you are cutting something where only a single hold down foot on a long narrow handle will work, like when cutting a 45 on a short piece. The same anti-slip pads are on all three of it's feet. I replaced the old worn feet on an old version of one of these with small pieces of a mouse pad, glued on with automotive weatherstrip adhesive, and it works very well too. You could make one of these with some effort, but they are priced so reasonably that I don't think it's worth doing. You will quickly find many more uses for it and wonder how you did without it. I only wish it had a hanging hole so could be hung on a nail near my miter saw (about to drill one in my new one - already have one in the old one), but I would prefer it to be in a moulded in tab so as not to reduce the strength of the handle. Buy one, you will thank me.

Charley

David Helm
07-13-2016, 12:49 PM
I just discovered Fast Cap and as I live close decided to go to the factory. As I drove around the building I didn't notice a sign saying "store" or something indicating they sold retail and almost left.then I decided to go into the office and ask. It's not fancy but they do have ALL the stuff on display. Staff was really nice and I asked if they had shopping carts. The girl gave me a hand basket.I said, I was hoping for a shopping cart that I could lean on as I have bad knees.lol. She got me one of their order picking carts and I spent the next hour "shopping". I didn't realize there were so many items I didn't know I needed. Cool place, nice people and neat stuff. And they had a box of "free" samples.

I had the same experience but did not go in. I live only 2 or 3 miles from there. Didn't know there were other locals here on SMC. Are you a member of NCWA?

David Helm
07-13-2016, 12:51 PM
You live near Ferndale fRED? I drive by their new building every work day. I've never stopped in though.

Another Hamster. Are you in NCWA?

Ernie Miller
07-13-2016, 2:57 PM
A couple of years ago, I wanted to order some Kaizen foam from Fastcap. The material looked great, but the sole shipping option was amazingly high. I decided to email them to inquire (actually, to complain). I received a return email from Paul Akers himself in which he explained the error on the website order page, and sent me a $100 gift certificate for my trouble. We exchanged emails for the next few days, as we found we had much in common. He's a real down to earth guy and he sure went further than he had to to make a new customer happy.

Ellery Becnel
07-13-2016, 4:47 PM
I just got my "stick" in yesterday. I tried it out today. It works great! I cut a 3/4" piece of White Oak that was 3/4" long. I sliced a 1/8" long piece off. It cut clean, did not move, and I did not flinch. I also bought a few tape measures, very nice. These are the first
products that I have tried from Fastcap.

fRED mCnEILL
07-13-2016, 11:27 PM
ROTFLMAO. I didn't realize that I was using the thing backwards until I read this.Who knew???

J.R. Rutter
07-19-2016, 9:52 AM
Another Hamster. Are you in NCWA?

I was years ago, but don't really have time these days. I was on the open house tour day maybe 5-6 years ago. If you ever want to check out my cabinet door shop in Ferndale, shoot me a PM.