PDA

View Full Version : Perfomax 22-44 Plus Drum Sander

Dean Baumgartner2
05-17-2016, 10:05 PM
I have a chance to pick up a used one locally asking price is $950 and it includes SmartSand.

Thoughts on if that's a good price and if the sander works well.

Thanks,
Dean

Chris Fournier
05-17-2016, 10:08 PM
I've had one for twenty years and it has paid for itself many times over. Light duty but never has needed repairs. $950.00 would be good up here in Canuckistan if the condition was tidy.

Wade Lippman
05-17-2016, 10:32 PM
Reasonable price if it works well and you really want one that big. Put some wood through it and then try to change the paper.

Steve Peterson
05-18-2016, 12:49 AM
I would say that is a good price if it is in decent shape. New ones run about twice that much. Hopefully, it will come with a bunch of sandpaper to sweeten the deal.

Steve

Dennis Yamamoto
05-18-2016, 1:56 AM
Check the conveyor belt and make sure that it tracks correctly. When I wasn't paying attention to the belt tracking on a 22-44 I used to own, it tracked to one side too much and destroyed the belt. It was probably my own doing, but I found it a challenge to keep the belt centered.

Brian Tymchak
05-18-2016, 8:11 AM
Check the conveyor belt and make sure that it tracks correctly.

+1 on that... I have a Jet 16-32 and I have never been able to get it to track completely straight. I'm going to replace the conveyor belt again in an attempt to fix the problem as I want to use it for a project this summer or fall.

Steve Peterson
05-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Check the conveyor belt and make sure that it tracks correctly. When I wasn't paying attention to the belt tracking on a 22-44 I used to own, it tracked to one side too much and destroyed the belt. It was probably my own doing, but I found it a challenge to keep the belt centered.

Good point. That is probably the biggest trouble spot with those sanders. Mine seems OK and simple enough to adjust, but I see complaints from others.

Steve

Tim Boger
05-18-2016, 1:17 PM
I bought a lightly used 16 - 32 4-5 years ago and have had no issues with it, my belt has never required adjustment. .... it will struggle with a cutting board, tiny depth adj only.

I used it almost exclusively for my segmented work so it rarely see's anything wider than 3-4 inches, I can't imagine doing this without it.

Tim

Dean Baumgartner2
05-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies....I'll go check it out and see how it looks.

James Brown
05-22-2016, 11:22 PM
I have the same sander, bought it used ... ever since I replaced the sandpaper type drive belt with one from http://timberww.com/ I've been happy with it.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.