PDA

View Full Version : Anyone turned cypress

Don Frank
05-17-2016, 4:01 PM
i have access to some cypress. Wondering if anyone has turned it and what they thought.

david privett
05-17-2016, 6:19 PM
It to me is like a firmer pine. cuts easy, sands easy, but there is tear out but take it slow keep the tools sharp to keep it at a minium and every finish that I have used works well

Dennis Ford
05-17-2016, 7:56 PM
+1 on "cuts easy, sands easy". It is softer than the pine we have here but does not have the sticky sap of pine. It can be bland but bark on natural edge pieces looks good.

Don Frank
05-17-2016, 10:03 PM
I was afraid it might be pretty bland. I don't think there is any chance of the stuff spalting regardless of how much beer you poured on it. It's free so I guess I don't have much to loose. Thanks for the feedback.

Tom Brouillette
05-18-2016, 8:01 AM
I turned a 14" bowl that finished up fine. I just remember being hit with a squirt gun the entire time I was roughing it out green.

david privett
05-19-2016, 1:44 PM
what I turned was 1 inch stock and glued to 9 inches it also was made a lid also dried for about 12 years so no slinging water there but I made a yarn bowl and it slicked up nice and as for the grain use a clear finish it will look nice enough.