PDA

View Full Version : Working on a workshop in the new house that's kind of unusual.

Roger Feeley
05-17-2016, 3:09 PM
We are building our croak house and wanted to downsize. The above ground footprint will be about 900 square feet. Below ground, my basement shop will be about 1300 square feet. That's right folks, my shop will be bigger than the house. There will be a concrete deck above the extra space.

The bride wanted to compromise and I told her that 1300 was a compromise. I wanted 4,000 sq feet. So far, they are buying it. Unlike our last house, I won't be sharing this space with storage. We got rid of a bunch of crap before we moved. Other than a spiral staircase, the furnace and water softener (tankless water heater on the wall so it doesn't count), this basement will be mine, all mine. Sadly, it's not a walk-out but I did spec a 38" exterior door and stairwell. The interior spiral is for people and the exterior stairs are for stuff.

We get the final quote from the builder in the next week or so. This is the DC area. It's not gonna be cheap. Everybody think positive thoughts. If I pull this off, it will be a heck of a score.

Roger

Tom M King
05-17-2016, 4:25 PM
If the stairs in are cast in place concrete, add a narrow ramp on each side of the steps for the wheels of a special made equipment lowering and raising dolly.

Jon McElwain
05-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Concrete is one of the most expensive parts of new construction. Are we talking a elevated concrete deck that will serve as roof for the basement and deck/patio or something for the upstairs? Seems that finishing the additional 400 s.f. above ground would be close to the cost of the added concrete...

Roger Feeley
05-19-2016, 3:00 PM
Yep, but the family wanted to keep the above ground footprint down. I reasoned that there's no law that says I can't expand underground.

But you are right. I think it would have actually been cheaper to go ahead and finish that space.

Mike Holbrook
05-19-2016, 3:35 PM
Your wife is more "understanding" than mine. We are looking at downsizing to 1800-2400 home footprint. So far I am in an under 400 foot single car garage. I am trying to figure out how to get the tools now residing in 1200 of space into 400.

The cost of heating and cooling below ground space can be substantially lower off setting the initial cost of building. My problem with being below ground is the lack of natural light. There is a partial basement in the house we are looking at but there is only 6- 6 1/2 feet of height, which means dogs and lawn tools will probably live there. The other below ground spaces are a single and double garage. Fortunately the single car garage I may end up in is more in a cleared area and not as far below actual ground level. I am negotiating for the room next to the single car garage. the wife is trying to convince me that the attic space above the garage can handle tool overflow.

Evan Patton
05-19-2016, 5:31 PM
We are building our croak house and wanted to downsize. The above ground footprint will be about 900 square feet. Below ground, my basement shop will be about 1300 square feet. That's right folks, my shop will be bigger than the house. There will be a concrete deck above the extra space.

The bride wanted to compromise and I told her that 1300 was a compromise. I wanted 4,000 sq feet. So far, they are buying it. Unlike our last house, I won't be sharing this space with storage. We got rid of a bunch of crap before we moved. Other than a spiral staircase, the furnace and water softener (tankless water heater on the wall so it doesn't count), this basement will be mine, all mine. Sadly, it's not a walk-out but I did spec a 38" exterior door and stairwell. The interior spiral is for people and the exterior stairs are for stuff.

We get the final quote from the builder in the next week or so. This is the DC area. It's not gonna be cheap. Everybody think positive thoughts. If I pull this off, it will be a heck of a score.

Roger
Well, the ratio is pretty much ideal to my way of thinking. I always thought the ideal house would be about 1300 ft2 living area with a 4 car garage and a 2000 ft2 shop!

Roger Feeley
05-23-2016, 1:59 PM
I wasn't kidding when I said this is a compromise. I've always wanted to build a HoverWing. No aircraft license and they really look like fun.
I will find ways to keep myself entertained. New grandson to spoil.

http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53

(http://www.hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53)

Jim Dwight
05-23-2016, 7:35 PM
Another idea to consider is having a large covered porch instead of a patio. Some or all of it could be screened. You'd have to seal it still but it should be possible to frame the floor/ceiling instead of concreteing it.

Roger Feeley
05-24-2016, 9:05 AM
Good idea, Tom. We are right at our budget and things are very expensive in the DC area. What we could have gotten for $200K in Kansas City will be around $550K here. But I see no reason why I can't construct what you suggest and install the ramps when I need them.

Roger Feeley
05-24-2016, 9:11 AM
Another good idea. The porch will be covered but open so no framing. We are threading a needle here.

-- In order to build at all, we have to be connected to the main house via a breezeway. So we are keeping our structure as close as possible to the main house.
-- The pool had an inadequate deck around it. Pretty much a sidewalk which allowed no seating or tables. I wanted our porch to be a functional extension of the pool deck which means that we really need it to be open on the side facing the pool. To that end, we have screens on the two sides and retractable screens (very cool) facing the pool. So we will have a screened in porch but not one closed enough that we can frame the floor.
-- We wanted an extended season so the deck will have a roof over it.

So yes, Jim, we did a covered porch but not one we can seal. Look on the bright side. it should be an awesome storm shelter.

Roger Feeley
05-24-2016, 9:15 AM
My wife is VERY understanding. When she learned about SawStop, a 3hp ICS appeared. I am a lucky man and have been counting my blessings for almost 40 years.