PDA

View Full Version : Fumes and exhaust

Jean-Nicolas Raymond
05-17-2016, 1:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I am brand new to the world of laser cutter/engraver. I'm looking to get a small chinese 50w so that I can test how the process works and everything. I have read a bit but I learn more by trying than by reading unfortunately. :( I'm looking to work on acrylic and I know the fumes are toxics. The machine I'm looking at mention it has an exhaust fan and a smoke pipe but I'm afraid this will not be enough from what I've read. Here is the link of the machine I'm looking at if you need to know more:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/K40-50W-CO2-Laser-Cutter-Machine-Laser-Engraver-Stamp-Engraving-Machine-With-Blowing-Flame-Retardant-System/32384357474.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.57.KB4J6u&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_1_100 17_10021_507_10022_10020_10009_10008_10018_10019,s earchweb201603_2&btsid=1a856e2d-bbf7-496e-bdc5-3dd7c3aeb54b

So here is my question. Is there a way to use this machine in an appartement room with fumes being exhausted outside or will there be leaks from the machine in itself making this idea really bad. If it's not possible what would be my options?

Thanks

JN

Gary Hair
05-17-2016, 1:24 PM
I suggest you click on "search forum" and type in the word "exhaust" - you'll find hundreds of post that will answer your question.

Keith Winter
05-17-2016, 1:25 PM
Read cannot get smoke out post 5 posts below yours. Search the forum, this has been covered as recently as yesterday and dozens of times in the past.

Jean-Nicolas Raymond
05-17-2016, 1:52 PM
Read cannot get smoke out post 5 posts below yours. Search the forum, this has been covered as recently as yesterday and dozens of times in the past.

Yes I saw it but it doesn't address the situation I'm looking for which is if it's possible to do this out of an appartment.

JN

Bill George
05-17-2016, 2:04 PM
Of course it can why would it be different that exhausting out of any building? You just need read what you find on the Search. Also do a search on your K40 machine and you will find lots of problems.

Keith Winter
05-17-2016, 2:08 PM
Yes I saw it but it doesn't address the situation I'm looking for which is if it's possible to do this out of an appartment.

JN

You need to do more research and also look into local laws. I missed the apartment part of your question on my mobile phone...No way an apartment complex is going to let you put a laser in there, and if you have a fire you will be paying for not only the damage to the apartment, you will also be liable for damages incurred by every tenant in the building. Plus if you manage to injure someone you will likely go to jail.

A couple scenarios for you...
Scenario A: You vent outside, apartment B has the window open and it comes into their apartment where their baby sleeps... You see how this is bad?
Scenario B: You step into the bathroom while your laser is cutting and a fire breaks out. Your apartment and every apartment surrounding it catch on fire. No one gets hurt, but you get to payback all the damage for the next 20 years of your life (best case) worst case someone's kid is in the apartment and gets killed by the fire you created by being stupid and putting a laser in an apartment.

Incredibly bad idea to put a laser in an apartment.

Jean-Nicolas Raymond
05-17-2016, 2:18 PM
It's what I thought. So I would need look into renting a small workshop or something like that?

JN

Jean-Nicolas Raymond
05-17-2016, 2:20 PM
I'll look into that george thanks. I'm looking for a small laser to try my hands first before moving into something bigger.

JN

Keith Winter
05-17-2016, 2:22 PM
It's what I thought. So I would need look into renting a small workshop or something like that?

JN

Absolutely rent a small warehouse, or sub-lease a spot in someone else's warehouse. You could likely sub-lease something really pretty cheap. Hardest part will be convincing them to cut holes in the roof to allow you to vent out. Alternatively many people on the board own their own home and work out of the garage. This is much better than an apartment because you're not on top of other people and you own the space. Downside is neighbors may or may not complain depending on how close they are, and that your home owners insurance may or may not cover a fire if they find out a laser caused it. That would be a insurance policy specific issue.

David Somers
05-17-2016, 2:25 PM
Jean-Nicholas,

Can't spend too much time on this today. Apologies. But first....the warning about the K40 machine is important to follow up on. Yes they are cheap. But the number of problems people have with them is pretty high. I would not buy one, but if you really want to be sure you are able to do minor electrical/electronics yourself without assistance from a manufacturer. And check the company you buy from VERY closely. They are cheap for a reason, and in many cases little more than a scam on the part of the seller. Check them out. Nuff said.

Then.....is your apartment on the 1st floor or a higher floor?
If on the 1st floor, and your building doesnt object, put your blower outside the apartment so that you are pulling the air out the length of your ducting. Then little air will leak out into the room. Though you are still likely to have some odor in the apartment. A laser is not a perfectly sealed system, nor are you likely to be able to make it one. If you can put the blower outside you will experience more air leakage into the apartment. Another option is to use a filter system. Dan Hintz has a thread you can search for on building a homemade filter that is quite good, or look in his blog on this forum and he has it posted there too. Otherwise you are looking at purchasing a commercial filter which is going to cost you far more than the K40 did, and require considerable continuing cost in consumables like filters and charcoal to keep it functioning well. And you will still get some odor in the apartment.

You might try a search on the word apartment and see if that nets you anything useful.

One thought. Rather than buy a K40 to try and get the feel of this, look for a Maker Space in your area. If you have any type of higher ed facility near you, a community college, university, etc, or if you have a fair number of apartment dwellers in your town you may have a maker space. They are businesses that have a bunch of tools, including lasers, that you can arrange to use for a fee. Each one is different, but it is usually very reasonable, and they tend to offer newbies help getting started, as well as classes if you want. They are a great way for someone to try things before they drop big money on tools, and a great option for someone who lives in an apartment that may make using a piece of equipment in the apartment a problem. In my case, I used to live on a boat for many years. I am a woodturner. A wood lathe on a boat is not going to work well so I rented space from a company that has buildings around town that you can rent small offices and shop spaces from. It was reasonably priced, not far from the boat, and had plenty of space for my needs. I turned happily in there for years before buying a house and having the luxury of a shop in my garage, which now houses my lathe, and laser, and CNC. You might check that out and avoid the issue of odor in your apartment altogether.

Hope that helps

Dave
And seriously.......do some hard digging on the K40 concept. I am not seeing many happy campers among its users. Some....but not a lot.