PDA

View Full Version : Guessing the weight of a tree while it is still standing....

John Olier
05-17-2016, 9:22 AM
Gentlemen: I have an offer for several trees in my yard and the buyer says he will pay by the ton.
Any formula on how to calculate the approximate weight of these trees or will I have to wait until he gets then to his place on his scale.
On average they are about 24 diameter and 40 to 50 feet tall.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Btw I believe they are Cypress but not certain

Jamie Buxton
05-17-2016, 9:43 AM
Very approximately 40-50 pounds per cubic foot. Depends upon species and how much water it has in it.

Dennis Ford
05-17-2016, 9:51 AM
There is some difference of density between species but not all that much when fresh cut. Most will barely float in water. This the the formula that I use for any species: (based on density being equal to water)
((Diameter in inches) squared) x (length in feet)/3
Use the average between large and small end for diameter (do NOT include bark)
This calculation will produce a number that is a little more than actual weight of a fresh log (a lot more than actual weight of partially dried log); just what I want for deciding how much I can put on my trailer.

John K Jordan
05-17-2016, 10:57 AM
I assume you mean the weigh of the useful logs, not the whole tree as you mentioned, branches and all. Here is a handy log weight calculator:

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=log_weight

To account for the differences in density pick the species from the drop-down list. It has hardwoods first, then softwoods. If not sure of the species, guess and try several to get an idea.

JKJ

Cody Colston
05-17-2016, 2:01 PM
Most log buyers pay based on log weight, not scaled board feet and certainly not the entire tree weight. Use the log weight calculator in the link John posted and you will have a very good guideline to compare to the buyer's tonnage.

I am somewhat surprised that you have a buyer for yard trees. Most sawmills won't take them because of the high chance of metal in the logs.

Prashun Patel
05-17-2016, 2:35 PM
New info to me. Thanks, Cody.

Dennis Peacock
05-17-2016, 3:43 PM
Agree. There are precious few local mills that will even consider a "yard tree".