PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Small Plow plane review with blade measurements compared to stanley 45

mark weathersbee
05-16-2016, 5:30 PM
Really impressed with the little guy. I have used it for a few things and wanted to post and share what it looks like and show the blades compared to the stanley plow plane blades. The stanley 45 plow plane blades are older and likely are not their original length due to use and sharpenings but they are still longer by a sizable margin. You could use them in the veritas but you'd have to cut a new adjuster notch in them to make that happen. I don't have a stanley plane to test the reverse out but I'm told the veritas blades will work but with shorter life due to being shorter length.

Either way thought I'd post up and share. Also Veritas mailed me to let me know they have a new depth adjustment update for the plane as the current one may slip during use. Either way great plane and I'd highly recommend you won't be disappointed.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/m_weathersbee/DSC_0628_zpsbzqm4i8g.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/m_weathersbee/DSC_0629_zpsbx6tfrdr.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/m_weathersbee/DSC_0630_zpspemovxiw.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/m_weathersbee/DSC_0631_zpsktmrxgc7.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/m_weathersbee/DSC_0632_zpsysir4qw7.jpg

Jim Koepke
05-16-2016, 8:14 PM
The stanley 45 plow plane blades are older and likely are not their original length due to use and sharpenings but they are still longer by a sizable margin. You could use them in the veritas but you'd have to cut a new adjuster notch in them to make that happen.

Mark, Thanks for taking the time to compare the blades. I wonder if one did cut a new notch in the Stanley cutters if the top of the blade would clear the adjustment knob.

I have used short blades in a Stanley 45 by using the adjusting pin to push on the top of the blade. Kind of a one way adjustment, but it is better than nothing.

The Veritas looks like it is a few comfort levels above the Stanley 45 to use. I hope to try one some day.

jtk

mark weathersbee
05-16-2016, 8:24 PM
I'll measure tomorrow but I believe you could n9tch it and set the depth all the way out and use them but I'd have to double check to be sure. I'm not sure I'd ever do that to the old blades it would be destroying it in some ways, yeah I'm a Sapp for the old stuff.

steven c newman
05-16-2016, 8:24 PM
Taken me almost 10 years to finally get a Stanley 45.......I think I'll keep it around a while, might take a few years to fully figure out what all it will do.....meanwhile, I keep a lookout for the 55 model.....

Mike Brady
05-16-2016, 8:29 PM
Hi, Mark. Welcome to the forum. I gather that you have recently discovered the SC hand tool discussion. Your plane has been thoroughly discussed here since its inception several years ago and more recently the available upgrades have been covered. You could search for those threads and learn more about what Lee Valley has done to make this tool even more versatile.

Another suggestion that I can make is to expand on your thoughts about the tool and how you have used it; particularly if you are captioning your post as a "review". In the forum context, readers are wanting to learn about the pros and cons of the tool and the user's experience. You did provide detail about the cutters and their potential use with the Stanley N0.45 multiplane, which was informative. I think you will find this forum to be a huge source collective knowledge. I would suggest that you first search your topic before posting to see what others have contributed, and if you find nothing, then go for it.

mark weathersbee
05-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Hi, Mark. Welcome to the forum. I gather that you have recently discovered the SC hand tool discussion. Your plane has been thoroughly discussed here since its inception several years ago and more recently the available upgrades have been covered. You could search for those threads and learn more about what Lee Valley has done to make this tool even more versatile.

Another suggestion that I can make is to expand on your thoughts about the tool and how you have used it; particularly if you are captioning your post as a "review". In the forum context, readers are wanting to learn about the pros and cons of the tool and the user's experience. You did provide detail about the cutters and their potential use with the Stanley N0.45 multiplane, which was informative. I think you will find this forum to be a huge source collective knowledge. I would suggest that you first search your topic before posting to see what others have contributed, and if you find nothing, then go for it.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think about the title name being review. I had someone ask me before when I mentioned I was getting the plow plane that they'd like to know more about the blade length so I thought I'd finally share the information. The pictures with the two plane blades together I thought would be interesting due to the size difference as that was a question I was interested in at the time.

Phil Mueller
05-17-2016, 7:17 AM
Mark, thanks for posting. Just so happens I was reading Sellers' Essential Woodworking Tools book yesterday just prior to reading your post. Sellers regards a plow plane as an essential tool.

While he doesn't mention the brand, he pictures what is clearly the Veritas plow plane and says it is one of his favorites. Given his affinity for vintage Stanley and Record tools (which he does illustrate often in his book, including the vintage plow planes) he indicated there are times when modern makers have done an excellent job of improving the performance with new refinements...specifically referencing the Veritas plow plane.

For now, I'm getting away with my router plane and fence, and occasionally a power router. Certainly a tool to be considered in the future.

Jim Koepke
05-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Sellers regards a plow plane as an essential tool.

I would have to agree. There are many ways to make a groove in a board. A plow plane is possibly the most efficient hand tool option.

The Stanley #45 & #55 are kind of like a cross between a Cadillac and a Mac truck when it comes to plow planes, kind of big and a bit clumsy at times. Many other options like the #50 from Stanley and the #43 from Record for easier set up and use. The Record #44 looks a lot like the Stanley #50.

Just did a quick search and found this:

https://paulsellers.com/2014/01/plough-planes-ploughing-just-thoughts/

jtk

Patrick Chase
05-17-2016, 2:41 PM
Rob Lee trolled this forum a while back with a conspicuous reference to "the upcoming combination plane" (he stated that the beading retrofit for the plow plane came about as a side-effect of the combo plane's development).

If I were looking for something in the class of a Stanley 45 (which can do a lot more than a simple plow plane) then I might wait a bit and see what materializes. I have the Veritas small plow with beading and depth stop retrofits and am very happy with it FWIW, but then again I don't currently need the other capabilities of a true combo plane.

One plane that always tempts me is the 46. It isn't as versatile as the 45, but it's got skew going for it, which is nice. I already have modern planes that cover most of its capabilities though.

Frederick Skelly
05-17-2016, 6:01 PM
Mark,
Welcome to SMC and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. As you're already finding, there is a HUGE body of knowledge here and even more in the archives. So many really capable guys/gals have added to the accumulated knowledge here, that you'll seldom come up dry on a question.

I also have the LV Plow Plane and love it. In fact, it just arrived home from it's upgrade journey to lovely Canada. I havent had a chance to reassemble her yet, but I know the new beading capability will be very nice to have.

Fred

Edit: I just couldn't stand it. I had to go to the shop and put it back together after the upgrade. Then of course, I HAD to try it out. About 5 times. Geez, what a nice feature. The beads cut nicely. I really like those PMV-11 irons, I never used PMV-11 before. Looks like this was $59 well spent.

lowell holmes
05-17-2016, 6:12 PM
If you guys don't quit talking about that plow plane it is going to cost me. I already have two woodies. I sure like the concept. :)

Jim Koepke
05-17-2016, 7:02 PM
Rob Lee trolled this forum a while back with a conspicuous reference to "the upcoming combination plane" (he stated that the beading retrofit for the plow plane came about as a side-effect of the combo plane's development).

If I were looking for something in the class of a Stanley 45 (which can do a lot more than a simple plow plane) then I might wait a bit and see what materializes. I have the Veritas small plow with beading and depth stop retrofits and am very happy with it FWIW, but then again I don't currently need the other capabilities of a true combo plane.

One plane that always tempts me is the 46. It isn't as versatile as the 45, but it's got skew going for it, which is nice. I already have modern planes that cover most of its capabilities though.

I think of it as a response more than "trolling."

Some of the things the Stanley #45 has is match blades for tongue and groove work. It also has sash cutting blades. One is standard and there is also a reverse sash blade for when the grain is running the other way.

Then there are the 'special cutters.' These include a set of fluting blades (A simple way to describe flutes is they are the opposite of beads) and reeding blades to cut 2, 3, 4 or 5 beads (reeds) in three sizes. There is a total of 23 special blades for the #45.

There is also a slitter that is handy for cutting thin stock along the grain.

The #45 can also be used like a rabbet (rebate) plane. Mine have seen a lot of service making rabbets.

jtk