PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum and latest project pics

Mike Waddell
09-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Good Morning, 'Creekers -

I recently joined the forum and have been enjoying reading and learning from all of you. Two of the important (!) things I have learned are that everyone seems to welcome people with open arms (and open minds), and that if there are no pictures it didn't happen. With those established rules, I'll press on...

I have been woodworking as a hobby for about 4 years, starting with basic bookshelves, learning from each project and mistake, and now getting to the point that I have a certain level of assurance that the project I finish will look, more or less, like the one I started out to build, though that is not guaranteed! I have a small, detached shop into which I cram absolutely every tool that I can afford to buy (and some that I can't afford), and the time I spend in the shop is extremely relaxing and de-stressing. I especially enjoy the hours spent with my two children in the shop.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of my latest project; a small, kidney shaped table that LOML requested I build to match her desk. It is made of Mahogany (top, bottom and legs), quilted Mahogany (face), Aromatic Cedar (drawer sides and bottom), and Hard Maple (drawer slides). These pictures show the table dry-assembled, and I am currently in the process of finishing the piece with a Tried & True product.

This was my first effort at a bent lamination, and it was quite a treat. If anyone is interested, I'll post details and a few pictures of The Trials & Tribulations of Learning To Laminate, as my wife and I came to call the process. Though the process was long, it was VERY rewarding and my little lady could not be happier.

Well, here they are, but please be gentle to a newby! I look forward to continuing to learn and meet 'Creekers at every opportunity.

All the best,

Mike

Lee Schierer
09-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the Creek. Glad to have another woodworker, novice or otherwise. Yes we like pictures, keep them coming. Your table looks good so far. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Mike Waddell
09-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Lee -

Thanks for the note. I'll keep the pictures coming!

The leg design was something that I am not happy with, but LOML said that was what she wanted... who am I to argue? Who knows, maybe I'll sneak in some other design while she is not looking... I made them there legs so that they're easy to remove... <big grin>

Mike

John Gregory
09-20-2005, 10:40 AM
The piece looks challenging, but the results looks great. Good job Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the Creek Mike! Excellent project!

Roy Wall
09-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Mike,

Terrific desk! and welcome to SMC...:) Excellent work!!

Martin Lutz
09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Looks great. Dont forget to post finished pics.

Donnie Raines
09-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Welome....that table is very original. I think I like it. :cool:

Ted Shrader
09-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Mike -

Nice work on the table! Your design? Very attractive!

Definitely interested in your "Trials and Tribulations" commentary. My next project is some curved front drawers in nightstabds and a dresser.

Ted

John Miliunas
09-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Welcome, Mike! Seeing as to how you have our picture "rules" down pat, I won't badger you on that one! Really like the table and yes, I too would love to see more pics and some narration on the process it took to get there. I'm thinking that's going to be one fine piece of furniture once you get the finish on it!:) Great job and don't forget to stop out to the Creek often and stay long!:D :cool:

Bob Noles
09-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Mike,

Beuatiful work and welcome to the creek. This should be a requirement for all new comers to come in with pics of such a nice project as yours. :D

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-20-2005, 1:00 PM
Welcome Mike,

Very nice table, I to would be interested in the trials of wood bending.

Roger

Mike Waddell
09-20-2005, 1:04 PM
Hello everyone!

Many, many thanks for the kind words and encouragement. The final coat of finish should go on a the next day or so, and I'll be happy to post some finished pics when it does.

I'll also work on a more detailed post with the bent laminations girations!

Thanks again, everybody!

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2005, 1:28 PM
Beautiful Table Mike. Welcome to Creek. It is a wonderful place to learn and have a lot of fantastic people on here. Enjoy.

Bernie

John Bailey
09-20-2005, 2:22 PM
Lee,

Welcome to the Creek. Good looking table. As one who has a hard time with straight lines, I like the curves.

John

Jason Tuinstra
09-20-2005, 2:32 PM
Mike, welcome to SMC! Your table looks great. Very nice job. I look forward to seeing the finished project. Again, welcome!

Tony Falotico
09-20-2005, 6:59 PM
Welcome to 'da creek Mike, great job on the table. Not sure you qualify as a newbee anymore!

Vaughn McMillan
09-20-2005, 7:13 PM
Welcome to the Creek Mike. I know it's a good group of folks here...they put up with me, and that's gotta be a challenge. I really like the looks of your table, and can't wait to see it finished.

Bob Noles suggested that all newcomers should post pictures of a project as nice as yours, but I don't think there are many newbies who could show off such nice work.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
09-20-2005, 8:04 PM
Welcome aboard, Mike. Great looking table!! I do think you should post the "trial and tribulations" photos... ;)

Mike Waddell
09-20-2005, 8:49 PM
Good evening, everyone -

You folks certainly know how to make a guy feel welcome! I just finished putting the final finish on the table and will take some pictures as soon as it is dry and in place.

I have a good number of pictures of the process I went through to build the table, so I'll try to put together another message in the next couple of days with pictures.

Thanks again, everyone. I appreciate the welcome and the comments. Any ideas about a different leg design??

Mike

Corey Hallagan
09-20-2005, 9:12 PM
Welcome to the forum. That is quite a piece! Very nice, can't wait to see it all finished.

Corey

Neil Clemmons
09-20-2005, 9:12 PM
Mike

Very nice table. Anxious to see the finished project. When posting details on the bent laminations, I'm anxious to see how you matched the drawer front to the rest of the frame bend.

Nice work and welcome!

Neil

Sam Blasco
09-20-2005, 9:26 PM
Welcome aboard, Mike. Excellent execution, terrific design. I really like how sweetly the drawer front blends. Hard to tell with no finish, but was it cut from the side or made seperately and chosen well? Any pull planned, or touch latch? I look forward to the next pics.