PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini running backwards

Bill Embrey
09-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Howdy all, I've been a lurker on here for some time... some serious talent on this site.

Would anyone know what would make a Jet Mini 1014 hesitate on start up (jiggles back and forth) and then start turning backwards? I can manually turn the spindle towards me and then turn it on and it works fine. I can spin it backwards and turn it on and it turns backwards fine. I can't help but feel this is not good for it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanx,

Bill (in OK)

Harry Pye
09-20-2005, 11:06 AM
My guess would be that you have a bad capacitor (That bump on the side of the motor.) If you don't have any experience working with electricity, take the motor to a motor repair business and let them sort it out. A capacitor should be available in the stores that cater to the parts trade and should probably cost less than $10.

Don Baer
09-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Harry is correct. The starting Cap is bad. They are easy to replace. Just disconnect the power. The caps usualy have spade lugs so the can be unplugged and take it to an electrical house. $10 is a good estimate maybe even less.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-20-2005, 12:35 PM
A CAVIOT HERE GUYS..........................Capacitors STORE UP electricity. DON"T TOUCH THOSE SPADE TERMINALS! Take an insulated screw driver and short across them. This will temporarily discharge the capacitor and make it safer to handle.

Bruce (Been BIT once, it AIN'T FUN!)

Randy Meijer
09-20-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm wondering if the responses would have been different if the lathe was identified as a VS model??

Don Baer
09-20-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm wondering if the responses would have been different if the lathe was identified as a VS model??

Most definitly. Then I would have said that the motor has an open winding and needs to either be replaced or rewound....:D

Greg Heppeard
09-22-2005, 3:54 PM
Definately a bad motor windings, I called Jet yesterday.

Bill Embrey
10-13-2005, 3:01 PM
Just a follow up post about the service received from my local Tulsa Woodcraft and Jet. OUTSTANDING... when I went to the store to speak with them about the problem, Greg looked up when I had purchased the lathe and noticed I still had a couple months of warranty left. He called Jet and spoke with them about it (they are under the impression it is a bad motor winding) but since it was under warranty, they sent me a new motor (and didn't want the old one). I believe I took the model/serial info to Greg on the 9/21 or 9/22 and I received the new motor on 10/10.

Since the original motor is still working seemingly well, I'm going to continue to use it until it quits working well and then I'll install the new motor

Great job by Woodcraft and Jet... If you are in the Tulsa area, go visit our Woodcraft store, you will enjoy it.

Bill (in OK)

Charlie Plesums
10-13-2005, 3:24 PM
I'm not sure about the variable speed deal, but if it were a regular motor, the starting capacitor is just an electrical trick to get the motor started in the right direction... nowhere as good as manually giving it a twist to get it started either direction.

I would probably not wait too long to install the new motor in case the problem is elsewhere in the variable speed system.

Don Baer
10-13-2005, 3:48 PM
If the Variable speed system is a VFD they turn 1 phase power from the wall into 3 phase power to the motor which would then be a 3 phase motor. They vary the frequency to change the speed. I am assuming this is the case with your unit. If this is the case then you have an OPEN winding and although you can make the motor turn by starting it by hand. The problem is now the motor is having to work harder to produce the torque you need for turning. This will cause the motor to draw more current and could damage the VFD. I'd change the motor ASAP.

Randy Meijer
10-13-2005, 3:51 PM
...I would probably not wait too long to install the new motor in case the problem is elsewhere in the variable speed system.

I agree with Charlie and would not wait even one day!!! If the problem is with the VS system rather than the motor, you need to find out "BEFORE" your warranty expires. If you replace the motor and every thing works OK, then you still have a reasonably good back-up motor and have only spent a half hour or so confirming that everything is in order.

Bill Embrey
10-13-2005, 4:18 PM
Thanx for the input guys... mine is a Jet 1014 NON variable speed system. If there is a problem with the variable speed, it's because I can't move the belt properly :D

Bill (in OK)