PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshave success

Phil Mueller
05-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Some time ago I was working on a curved board that needed a bullnose profile. It was my excuse to purchase a spokeshave. I sharpened it as best I could freehand (as you know it's too short to fit into a honing guide), and thought I'd have a go at it. The project board was sapele. After about 20 minutes of fiddling, I ended that exercise in frustration.

The spokeshave went in a drawer.

Recently, I was going through Paul Sellers' new book and saw the spokeshave sharpening jig and decided to give it a try (come to find out he also has a YouTube video on making one).

I must say, it works well, and made a world of difference in performance. What a breakthrough huh?...when it's sharp it works :rolleyes:

Here's the jig...I tapered the sides as Paul suggests to fit snug with the honing guide.
337457 337458

And here's the result...first walnut, then sapele
337459 337460

Lenore Epstein
05-15-2016, 3:56 AM
Great pictures; I finally understand how spokeshaves work. And congrats on figuring it out on your own!

Joe Tilson
05-15-2016, 8:03 AM
Good job Phil! Thank you for showing this. Now I might be able to get an edge on the ole Record.

Jim Koepke
05-15-2016, 11:52 AM
I have a similar guide with only a screw, nut and washer to hold those short blades for free handing.

I think David Weaver posted something about blade holders for freehand sharpening a few years ago, dang I miss him.

jtk

Tim Bridge
05-15-2016, 12:23 PM
I made the Paul Sellers spokeshave sharpening jig and had good success with sharpening my blade on my Worksharp.

Jerry Olexa
05-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Good job and results Phil....looks good!