PDA

View Full Version : Marksolid 150

Hannu Rinne
05-14-2016, 6:11 PM
I tested a Marksolid 150 "white on metal". Has anyone else experimented with this stuff ? In the nature white is not as bright as you see in the picture but still it gives a quite nice contrast on stainless steel. It does not cover the areas as good as the black marking, but might be a nice addition in some projects...

-Hannu

Gary Hair
05-14-2016, 8:53 PM
Is it available in the US? A quick search found it in Germany but I'm not seeing elsewhere.

Hannu Rinne
05-16-2016, 4:39 AM
Hi Gary,

Difficult to say about the availability in the US. I bought it from Finland (local supplier). I think it's originally made in Germany...

-Hannu

Kev Williams
05-16-2016, 3:09 PM
I have some of the Cermark 'pearl white', but-- I accidentally got some regular Cermark mixed in with it (brainfart) so that's not good, but more importantly, I can find NO WHERE anywhere, any info on what you THIN it with?

I've had mixed results with it, probably because it's contaminated. I'd buy more, but I don't have that much call for it, and at $165 for a 100 gram bottle with no thinning info--- for now, I'm good...

Mike Null
05-18-2016, 11:00 AM
I made a call to Mike Johnson of Johnson Plastics to inquire about this product. He, in turn , called Mike Fruciano of Laserbits. Mike F. responded with this email which he permitted to be posted:

Hello Mike(s),
I am following up on the markSolid products specifically the white product. I did some confirmation with the Ferro (CerMark/TherMark) folks as a lot has changed with products, marketing and patents in the last year in the laser marking compound market.

The markSolid 150 white marking compound is a product I tested 4-5 years ago and the best results achieved was an off-white color on stainless steel. The color of the white became darker the slower the speed setting to the point where it created a tan color. The markSolid 150 product is not the same as the CerMark LMM 6150 Pearl White.

The CerMark 6150 Pearl White contains platinum and other precious metals which contributes to the high cost. The Pearl is a little finicky to work with when compared to Black metal marking compounds but can create some excellent and permanent marks on dark metals. The 6150 should not be diluted. The 6150 requires spraying on and may not be brushed on. In rare cases where the 6150 solution is too thick for spraying, a very small amount of water can be added to promote spraying. By nature, the 6150 contains finely pulverized metal compounds so it should be stirred and mixed thoroughly immediately prior to spraying. The solution can be clumpy and clog a sprayer so filtering with a medium mesh paint filter from a home center paint department is recommended. Settings for the laser should use 5-10% slower speed settings than with black metal marking compounds. The engraved result should be a sparkly white color bonded to the metal. If the result is off-white or tan in color, increase the speed setting of the laser. The CerMark 6150 has been a good selling product for LaserBits but has specific applications and markets such as black metals used in firearms.

Best regards,
Mike-

Mike Fruciano
Vice President
LaserBits, Inc.

www.LaserBits.com
Serving the Laser Industry Since 1998

Mike Null
05-18-2016, 11:09 AM
A couple of years ago I used the LM6150 on a forged blacksmith's hammer. I was hoping for a purer white but knew that it was called pearl for a reason. I used a foam brush rather than spray so I may have been able to get a better result had I sprayed it.

Kev Williams
05-18-2016, 1:34 PM
. In rare cases where the 6150 solution is too thick for spraying, a very small amount of water can be added to promote spraying.
Thanks for that, because what I have here is near toothpaste thick...