PDA

View Full Version : A Budding Woodworker

Cody Colston
05-14-2016, 10:29 AM
My grandson is in first grade and whenever I'm in the shop, he's always out there with me. He likes to make stuff from my scrap bin and he can come up with some pretty cool designs. I showed him how to properly glue the pieces together and got him his own bottle of TB Original. He's also learning to use hand planes and a spokeshave.

Lately, he's been "journaling" on LOML's computer and yesterday morning she found the following he had typed in a WORD document.

"I am a wood worker and I made a Chrac (crutch) and a walker with Wood and my pawpaw tot me how to glue and Overnite I let it dry enthen the next morning i payed with it"

I'm pretty proud of him.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2016, 10:57 AM
You should be proud Cody! It's time well invested!

Yesterday I bought some cedar to make birdhouse kits for the 3 grandkids (6 yo twin granddaughters and their soon to be 4 yo brother) who are coming to visit in June. I will cut to size and predrill all the holes including the nail holes so they can work with me in the shop.

Ben Rivel
05-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Thats awesome Cody, good for you! The skills, exposure and knowledge you pass on to your children shape the rest of their lives and who they are inside. Good and bad, I can trace most things about myself to my father and the way I was raised and Ive always found it fascinating. Teaching your children to work with their hands and to be responsible and respectful of any and all tools will help them ten fold throughout their lives! Keep up the good work!

Paul Wunder
05-14-2016, 4:40 PM
Cody, that's awesome. Not only will both of you have memories of special times together, but he appears to be a very caring young boy to be making things for others

I am sure that he brightened the day for all.

Mel Fulks
05-14-2016, 5:38 PM
I love it. And he writes in excellent formal Puritan style!

Rich Riddle
05-14-2016, 6:57 PM
It's good to see someone interested in the hobby. Spelling is over-rated.

Jay Hart
05-15-2016, 12:27 AM
Grandkids are great.

Gene Takae
05-15-2016, 2:22 AM
That is awesome! The skills and memories will remain with him for the rest of his life.

John T Barker
05-15-2016, 7:58 AM
Great post Cody. I love that you bring him in the shop with you, I get a little nervous about doing that with my daughter (but I will.). His writing is great, especially that he did it on the computer. Keep up the good work.

Art Mann
05-15-2016, 8:52 AM
That is just a wonderful little story! Your grandson will probably never forget those moments together.

Cody Colston
05-15-2016, 9:40 AM
Thanks, Guys. The grandson is a great kid, very bright and tender-hearted, too. I certainly am thankful that he likes to spend itme in the shop with me and is interested in woodworking. I've told him that the shop will be his when I'm gone. He wrote a sign on a scrap board and placed it beside the door..."Do not take tools out of the shop." LOL

Frederick Skelly
05-15-2016, 11:05 AM
That's just how I got started - playing with my other peoples' scraps. Many many memories.....

You are incredibly lucky to have him in the shop with you Cody. He'll remember these times long after you've passed on. As he learns a bit more, you could show him a few of your favorite tools and (together) mark them as things that will be handed down to him one day. Maybe use a dot of red nail polish on them, or one of those 1/2" paper dots that come in different colors from office supply stores. (I prefer the nail polish, personally.)

You are so incredibly fortunate. Enjoy every second. And be sure to post some of his work so he and pawpaw can get online and read all our ooohs and awws. He'll dig that!

Fred

Tim Cooper Louisiana
05-15-2016, 9:24 PM
That kid spells better than most 20 year olds do today.