PDA

View Full Version : ALWAYS carry a knife

Malcolm Schweizer
05-14-2016, 12:21 AM
I grew up being taught that you always carry a knife.

I am frequently called upon to do light rigging work, and I sail a lot, so my knife of choice these days is a Myerchin rigging knife with a Marlin spike. One such job was helping rig some displays at the children's museum that just opened. They have a fulcrum display with pulleys and ropes. Well, fast-forward to tonight, and they had an after-hours event for museum members, so we took Petra. As soon as I walked in, one of the workers said, "hey Malcolm, how do you untie a knot that is really tight?" (This is actually not unusual for me to be asked such things at random moments.) I asked where the knot was, and he showed me the display. A pad eye had broken and he needed the stopper knot out to fix it. It was so tight that I said, "We need a Marlin spike..." and suddenly remembered I had my rigging knife clipped to my belt. I pulled it out and my friend said, "That's exactly why we keep you around." My wife laughed, then smiled, knowing this is just one of the many reasons she married me.

So tell me- what knife do you carry, and when has it saved your butt, or proven to be handy? I have a few different Myerchin folders, and a Myerchin sheath knife with separate Marlin spike. I frequently wear the sheath knife. It has a decorative knot on the spike for grasping, and a lanyard With a clip. One folder has a lanyard, and the other a belt clip.

When I produce a knife unexpectedly and someone excitedly says, "You have a knife???", I reply very calmly, "You don't?"

John Sanford
05-14-2016, 1:52 AM
I carry either a Spyderco Delica or a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 95% of the time. I love having a pocket clip. The other 5% of the time I either forget, or carry a Buck Bantam w/o clip.

Both knives and a multi-tool (my preference is Leatherman tools) are very handy to carry. My best "got ya covered" moment was at a breakfast joint where I was checking out. Their stapler was jammed up, I pulled out my Leatherman OHT and between the pliers and one of the blades I cleared the jam. My worst was when I semi-freaked out a co-worker while we were waiting for a meeting room to clear. I was holding up the wall and took out my pocket knife and started cleaning my fingernails. Her reaction demonstrated that she had a fairly strong hoplophobia condition.

Keith Westfall
05-14-2016, 2:28 AM
I just carry a 3" folding blade knife, but have carried a 4" crescent wrench in my pocket for 40+ years, and it is surprising how many situations that has helped me
(and others) over the years.

Rich Engelhardt
05-14-2016, 6:17 AM
My EDC for years was a Benchmade Leopard Cub. The pivot screw came loose one day & it fell apart in my pocket.
I never got around to sending it back to Benchmade (one of these days,,,,,).

Anyhow, my EDC now is an assisted opening Kershaw. A Kevin Onion Leek.

Two things my dad told me to make sure I always carried.
1.) A knife
2.) A means of making fire

I carried both from the time I was about 6 until I quit smoking a couple/three years back.
Dad never smoked, but, always carried a book of matches. His choice of knives was far more pedestrian than mine also.
He carried a "Trim Trio".

Malcolm Schweizer
05-14-2016, 6:53 AM
I just carry a 3" folding blade knife, but have carried a 4" crescent wrench in my pocket for 40+ years, and it is surprising how many situations that has helped me
(and others) over the years.

You have my utmost respect! A man is not a man without a knife and a crescent wrench.

Here is a funny knife story- I was getting on the ferry boat and the guy saw my knife sticking out. (This was recent and with MARSEC now you cannot... or should not... Carry a knife.) He stopped me and said, "Hey, is that a knife?" I said, "No sir, it's just a rope cutting tool." "Oh, alright, you can pass," he replied, and let me board. It's all in the wording.

I was freediving once and some discarded fishing line hung up on my foot and was stuck on the reef. That's one time a knife may have saved my life. I wear a dive knife on my leg most of the time when freediving. Sometimes I just carry my Myerchin.

Jerome Stanek
05-14-2016, 7:02 AM
I carry a Gerber and a small Victorinox knife

Al Launier
05-14-2016, 7:15 AM
I carried a Kersaw 3" clip point folding pocket knife for many years & still use it, but when my daughter returned from visiting Switzerland a couple years ago & presented me with a beautifully engraved Swiss engraved pocket knife I started carrying that one. It has a 3" & 1 1/2" drop point blades that has the city of Zurich engraved on one side & a floral design on the other side with my initials. It does have & hold a nice edge.

Mike Null
05-14-2016, 7:16 AM
I've carried a knife for most of my life. Back when I was a kid most of the boys carried a pocket knife for things like whittling and mumbly peg. I remember a pair of boots that had a pocket for a knife. Even when I was working in an office I carried a small Swiss Army knife and for the last 20 years or so I've carried a larger more versatile SA knife. I use it multiple times every day. I've had a Leatherman tool for years but never carry it.

And I forgot to mention, back when I was kid they still used tubes in tires. If you don't remember that far back, that old tube was cut up and used for numerous things including slingshots. A pocket knife, good branch, piece of old tube and a piece of discarded leather was all it took to make a first class slingshot.

Dave Beauchesne
05-14-2016, 8:20 AM
I am a HVAC Tradesman and have been for the past 35+ years. Up to this day, I don't like ' Multi -Tool ' screwdrivers, wrenches and the like. My pouch contains individual screwdrivers, nut drivers, wrenches and such ( mostly Snap-On ).

25 years ago, I got convinced into buying a first generation Leatherman - that thing has got me ( and others ) out of many binds - nothing life threatening mind you, but when I bought it, I thought it would be a waste of money. Not so.

I am on the third leather pouch, carry it whenever I have my pants on, and have had it hanging over the edge of the boat to unhook at least 500 salmon, and have never dropped it ( knock on wood ) in the 'chuck. I swear by it, and it has held up very well, despite the abuse hurled its way.

Dave B

Mike Cutler
05-14-2016, 8:33 AM
I don't "carry" a knife on me, but every vehicle I own has at least one in it, Swiss Army Knife, as does my knapsack which is always near me. I'm never far from a knife of some type.
I have to basically go through "airport security" every morning to get into work, so anything on your belt, or in your pockets, has to come off. It's easier to just run my knapsack through the x-ray machines.

Wayne Lomman
05-14-2016, 8:47 AM
I used to always carry a miniature Swiss army knife on my key ring - the blade was 1.5" long and it had a small spike and a pair of mini tweezers. It was a perfect 1st aid kit and removed many splinters. However, I go through security in airports too often now and can't carry anything so my wife has it in her handbag. When at work or at home I carry a Leatherman multi tool. I keep one at each place to avoid the security issues. 2 weeks ago the Range Rover air suspension had a fit and I managed to repair it with the Leatherman. Cheers

John K Jordan
05-14-2016, 9:35 AM
So tell me- what knife do you carry, and when has it saved your butt, or proven to be handy?

I carry always, except in airport security lines. Absolutely mandatory on the farm.

For me it is only the Sog Visionary I. I like this knife so much I would become emotionally despondent if I lost it even temporarily or permanently in a hayfield so I have a drawer full of spares.

I keep these razor sharp with a pro belt sharpening machine. When one gets a little dull I swap it for a sharp one. I have had many excellent knives over the years and for me this is the best of the best.

What I like most (in addition to the small size and quality of the steel) is the clip placement and incredibly quick one-handed operation. Once for a test I pulled the knife from where I keep it clipped in the corner of my pocket, opened, closed, and reclipped it five times in five seconds.

The speed can save your hide in an emergency. Once I had a horse tied to a post at the barn with a nylon strap with a clip and for some reason known only to her she suddenly freaked out and started to jerk and pull and try to rear. She was about to hurt herself or me or both of us - a 1200 lb horse is monster when out of control. There was no possible way to release the tie under tension but in about two seconds I had the strap cut. (I learned my lesson that day and put quick disconnects on all my tie-down straps.)

Handy? Every single day: shop, barn, fields, house, orchard, garden. I used it even last night after dark while repairing a bent tie rod on my little utility truck.

JKJ

PS, always carry some kind of small knife when scuba diving. Once on a recovery dive in murky water below a boat dock I got tangled in a spider's web of years of accumulated nylon fishing line. Without the little knife strapped to my sleeve I might still be down there.

Gordon Eyre
05-14-2016, 11:57 AM
I was approaching the airport security check station when I realized that I had my knife in my pocket. I placed my knife in the bottom of the basket and my coin purse and keys on top of it. It sailed right through but it did teach me to be more careful in the future.

Jim Koepke
05-14-2016, 11:58 AM
I think my father gave me my first pocket knife when I was 6 or 7 years old.

The common small Swiss Army knife has been in my pocket since the early 1980s. Before that it was a larger model until I broke the screwdriver blade off.

(picture taken from the internet)

Besides being able to tend to a broken fingernail, pull a sliver or remove things from between my teeth, it is great for opening the mail on the walk back from the mail stop.

A larger single blade knife, a Boker c. 1940s, is also carried when working with rope is on the day's to do list.

One time while hiking with some friends at a landfill, converted to an urban park, we came upon a dog with its head stuck inside a large, plastic food service container. My little knife was able to first cut a breathing hole into the side of the container and then carefully cut the side open to remove it from the dog's head. He was one happy doggie after that. We didn't find the owner, but the dog did seem attached to one person who disavowed knowing the dog.

Whenever I find one of these at a yard sale or thrift shop for ~$5 or less it gets bought and put in a drawer as a back up or saved as a gift for one of my grandchildren.

jtk

Jim Koepke
05-14-2016, 12:06 PM
I was approaching the airport security check station when I realized that I had my knife in my pocket. I placed my knife in the bottom of the basket and my coin purse and keys on top of it. It sailed right through but it did teach me to be more careful in the future.

I always have to think when I am going into an airport. Since our grandchildren travel unaccompanied we are required to meet them at the gate.

My father gave me a key ring I still carry when I was about 9 years old. It has a screwdriver, a folding can opener, commonly called a P38, and a bottle opener. The can opener has a sharp blade and is not something one wants to explain to the TSA.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Having worked around farms as a teen and being a life long hunter/fisherman, I am never without a pocket knife. I carry a Gerber LST lockback fine drop point. When I am hunting, I have my pocket knife and my hunting knife, a larger more expensive Gerber lockback, is in my daypack.

In fact, when I climb out of bed in the morning, I put on my glasses, my pants, then my knife and my "home" key chain go into my left front pocket. Then I put on my hearing devices.

I travel a lot, often by commercial air. I have lost count of the number of knives I have donated to the TSA Christmas Party knife sale fund raisers! LOL! My fault. I know better.

The regional airport in Bloomington, IL is different than any other US airport through which I have traveled. By the security checkpoint on the right side is a stand with padded envelopes. You put your knife in one of the padded envelopes, address it to your home address, put it in the drop box and the AIRPORT pays the postage to mail you knife to you. With family near Bloomington, we have traveled there a lot and I have used this service twice. Kudos to the airport management there in Bloomington, IL!

Adam Herman
05-14-2016, 12:50 PM
I carry a knives of alaska carbon fiber handled tanto blade of d2 tool steel, looks like they may not make my model anymore. it weighs very little and has been great for the last 6 years or so.

I also carry an SOG power lock EOD multitool. yes, the det. cord crimper hase been used for its intended purpose. It also works for electrical terminals in a pinch.

Malcolm Schweizer
05-14-2016, 1:30 PM

I was flying out of Haiti and a guy beeped going through the detectors. The officer stopped him and they were speaking French, but I could tell the conversation went something like this:
"Hey, you can't take this on the plane"
"Come on, man, it's just a knife."
"No, you can't take it- it's the law."
"Come on, let me please (slips him some local currency)"
"OK, go ahead."

Art Mann
05-14-2016, 5:25 PM
I have carried a Victorinox Super Tinkerer Swiss Army knife for maybe 30 years - well not the same one. I have warn out and discarded more than I can remember. The large blade sharpens easily but the metal isn't very hard. That blade is what wears out first.

Lee Schierer
05-14-2016, 6:13 PM
I've carried a Buck Cadet pocket knife for 50 years. The one I have now is only the second one I've owned. I also inherited the Buck Cadet my father carried since before I can remember.

Mike Henderson
05-14-2016, 6:57 PM
My favorite is a small Buck folding with a locking blade. Takes and holds a good edge. I used to have a Buck Folding Hunter but lost it on a camping trip - set it down and forgot to pick it up when I packed up. Dumb.

Mike

Rich Riddle
05-14-2016, 7:36 PM
I always carry a Case Medium Stockman knife.

Mac McQuinn
05-14-2016, 9:28 PM
I typically carry my USA made, "Kabar" bone handled,folding,(3) bladed Stockman style knife in my pants pocket or in a custom made, small leather belt sheath and my USA made 4" Crescent wrench in my coat/jacket pocket.
Mac

Malcolm Schweizer
05-14-2016, 10:47 PM
This has been interesting for me, and I am glad I posted it. It is interesting to see so many choosing knives similar to the Buck Cadet with narrow drop point blades. They are good knives. My needs fall better in line with a wide sheepsfoot blade. My first and foremost need is the ability to cut heavy line- both 3-strand and double braid. If a boat drags into my anchor, I want to be able to cut my rode quickly. Here is a sample video of what I see all too often down here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxg30c6z00E

It also has to be able to pry things, so a thick blade is key for me. I like single hand opening knives. That is one big drawback of the 1st generation Myerchin. The 2nd generation is made of cheap metal, but it has an easier opening blade. Shackle keys are very useful as well. The Myerchin fits my needs best. The Boye cobalt knives are also a favorite. It may sound silly, but cutting limes and cheese is another reason I like a sheepsfoot blade, which is good for cutting against a flat surface.

As my name suggests, I have Swiss heritage, and my uncle Hans would always bring a Victorinox when he visited from Switzerland. I don't like the Victorinox knives because I find the blades to be soft. The gadgets can be a little goofy too. Still, they are great pocket knives and camping knives, and I still have a few.

Of course I also keep a machete in the Jeep at all times. It serves to open coconuts, cut bush, and fend off pirate attacks. It is as sharp as my kitchen knives. The best machete I have found is this one:
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=3936

Shawn Pixley
05-15-2016, 10:59 AM
I carry a Kershaw locking drop point knife. You can open or close it with one hand. Very useful if you are a sailor or fisherman. One hand is always in use doing something else.

There is a Swiss army knife in my car's earthquake/survival kit. When hiking I take a larger Swiss army knife as well. As others mention, I am none too enamored with quality of the blade on swiss army knives. I have used the awl, bottle opener, can opener, screw driver, scissors, corkscrew, tweezers, and toothpick at one time or another though.

Jerome Stanek
05-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Isn't that Gibbs rule number 9 never go anywhere without a knife

Jim Koepke
05-15-2016, 1:30 PM
Isn't that Gibbs rule number 9 never go anywhere without a knife

Except to a gun fight, but a knife might still come in handy.

(Rules in a knife fight? for those who remember... ) :eek:

jtk

Bill Neely
05-15-2016, 11:31 PM
I haven't been without a knife since I got a Barlow at age 6, about 1948. I carried a Case folding hunter when I was working, now I just carry a Schrade Rancher. Not so painful when you lose one and good enough for daily use.

Garth Almgren
05-16-2016, 12:28 PM
I (almost) always have my Leatherman Wave on my belt. It's a rare day that it doesn't come in handy, typically several times a day.

I also have a Leatherman Blast and a really old Gerber Multi-plier, but the Wave is my favorite to carry because of the one handed access to the blades.

Brent Cutshall
05-16-2016, 8:19 PM
I carry a 4 1/2 in. Colt boot knife. Had that knife forever. Skint stuff with it, killt snakes with it, thrownt it at stuff. It does throw good if you know how to throw knives, and I do. I don't know why it's my favorite, I love, collect, and use knives. So I've got loads of knives stashed and hanging everywhere, almost like my saws and tools.:p

Joe Tilson
05-17-2016, 10:09 AM
I carry a Frost 3" fold and lock back. It has gotten me out of tight spots. Also have a 6" serrated to carry to the steak house, which helps cut their tough meat. You know they have the dullest knives in town.

Daniel O'Neill
05-18-2016, 8:29 AM
I've usually had a knife but had a leatherman wingman for a number of years. Unfortunately the clip would bend and then it would fall off. I lost it for about 3 months and then found it tightened the clip and had it for about 6 before it went on it's final adventure. It is hugely helpful but most of my coworkers (people whom I think would understand being around trades even though we're not in them) are always asking why I carry "that big knife." I just tell them it's a pair of pliers.

Malcolm Schweizer
05-18-2016, 8:34 AM
I carry a Frost 3" fold and lock back. It has gotten me out of tight spots. Also have a 6" serrated to carry to the steak house, which helps cut their tough meat. You know they have the dullest knives in town.

Haha, I also use my knife at restaurants. People are funny sometimes about that.

Another good one is when I was at a baby shower and the lady needed to cut a ribbon and I handed her my knife, only then realizing it was covered with fish blood. Forgot to wash it after that last trip. She looked at me like I was weird or something. OK, so maybe a little.

Erik Loza
05-19-2016, 5:01 PM
For many years, I carried a spyderco folder. On one trip to a trade show or something, I was flying home and forgot that it was in my carry-on backpack (instead of checked with the rest of my tool kit). The TSA agents told me to check it or leave it there. I couldn't really check it at that point, so actually chucked it into the trash. It was a knife I had had for years and I felt terrible about that.

I have another spyderco folder now but don't carry it unless I'm working on a project. Too afraid of losing it or having another absent minded moment and having to surrender it.

Erik

Chris Padilla
05-19-2016, 7:40 PM
I'll be the lone one to post: I do not carry a knife. I don't think I ever have.

I also don't wear a watch although I've tried in the past and I end up smashing it against something so no more of that. Even my wedding ring has spent about 99% of its life in my wife's jewelry box. No necklaces, nothing on my wrist, no tattoos, no piercings...I guess I'm a pretty boring dude! LOL! :D

Now my bike bag has a knife in it so I have that when I commute with it. My bike bag actually has a fair number of tools in it. The car and truck also have a knife and some tools as well.

I carry my wallet and smartphone and lately, reading glasses, and perhaps a poorly hummed tune. :D

Chris Walls
05-21-2016, 10:12 PM
I've carried a knife for more than 50 years , every day, started out in grade school . Every kid seemed to have a knife in their pocket. Can't remember anyone ever getting hurt. My current carry is an Opinal No.7 , a very nice knife with a very good blade. The
design of the locking blade goes back more than 100 years. Still made today the same way as always. Handle is Pear wood and the knife is light and an easy carry.

Chris

Mark Blatter
05-22-2016, 12:09 AM
I used to carry a knife most of the time. Then I went to get on a plane 15 years ago, and had to say goodbye to that one. So, I bought another one similar, a small folding knife, and had it for a few months, then went to the airport, and goodbye again little knife....I hardly knew you. I tried again, had it for over a year, then went to the airport and, you can guess. That is when I gave up and just figured I would do without.

I broke my watch in 2010 and never bothered replacing it. I haven't worn one since. Now, my wedding ring, I simply never take it off. In fact, it once turned a likely nasty cut from a bandsaw into a little cut as the blade hit my ring and stopped it.

george wilson
05-22-2016, 9:47 AM
I carry my Leatherman,which has 2 blades. They will get quite sharp,but the Leatherman is only made of 420 stainless,so I don't rely on the blades staying sharp for too long. The pliers are most useful,though. And,the accurate 9" rule across the back(Inches and metric!) For a knife,I now carry a Scottish made antique my wife bought many years ago. A MOST EXCELLENT knife. But the main blade was too worn(it is a 3 blade whittler with a main blade 5" long!) I took a large ball bearing ball years ago and forged a long strip of 52100 steel out of the 1 3/8" ball.Weld on a handle first! I ground a new blade from it. This has proven to be one of the best knives I have EVER made! 52100 is a simple,but VERY durable steel. It has to be. Think of the abuse ball bearings have to take!

It decarbs badly when hot,though. For some time I was disappointed with he blade. Then,I decided to give it one last GOOD sharpening. The blade now stays razor sharp though used for WEEKS. I had apparently gotten through the edge where decarb had taken place. Now,I always carry this knife.

There is a certain brand of jeans I now like. It has a watch pocket 5" deep! I can carry the knife there to help it not get rusty too soon.

Jason Roehl
05-23-2016, 6:14 AM
Here's what I carry when I'm not working:

http://www.switchbladekits.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=446

And this is what I carry when I am working:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Lenox-10771-FLK1-Tradesman-Utility-Knife?gclid=CjwKEAjw1Iq6BRDY_tK-9OjdmBESJABlzoY7Xeveq4K-HetVhYac7FIMe31tf3BgQx-BkhgJJ5BmIxoCXXHw_wcB

My desire is for a switchblade with a S3V blade--but they're very expensive. I did some work once for a former Green Beret, and his pocketknife was made of S3V steel--I used it to cut a box open and noticed its sharpness. I commented that he must spend a fair amount of time maintaining the blade. His reply was that he had carried it for about a year, and had never touched it. Sold!

And, yes, I was carrying a switchblade in Indiana quite a few years before it was legal--it was a gift from a friend. Became legal a few years ago.

Andrew J. Coholic
05-23-2016, 1:18 PM
I have many knives, mainly old school style pocket knives. I'm 46, grew up with a father who always (to this day at 85 yrs old) always has a knife in pocket.

I dont much care for the look of the newer survival style knives, although I know in many cases the function and steel is great. I find for my personal tastes a mid sized pocket knife is perfect. My all time favourite is the Kershaw double cross. Two blades, liner lock, easy one hand opening and decent steel. The perfect size for me also. When they discontinued them, I bought 7 or 8 so I should be good for a while. Also wanted both my sons to have a new one when they get a bit older and can care for them properly.

One of of my other favourites is the case seahorse whittler. I have several.

I'm a full time woodworker and I have access in the shop to many cutting tools/blades, but I always have a knife in my pocket. And my wife or kids ask me all the time to use it whether it's to cut a piece of fruit or cut the tags off something, or use it like now when we're out camping.

I was was at the electrical supply place I go to buying some stuff for work a few months ago, when I picked up a few Klein single blade electricians knives. One for me and one for one of my employees who's also a knife guy. I've been carrying it to work every day since. It's very nice, single drop point blade. A bit wide but otherwise a fine blade and it was only $45. Plus made in Japan like the Kershaw double cross and double duty I am very fond of.

daryl moses
05-23-2016, 1:49 PM
I never leave home without a pocket knife, putting my knife in my pocket every morning is something I've always done.
I found out one thing........you can't get into the Smithsonian with a pocket knife. I wasn't aware you had to go through a metal detector. The alarm went off and security asked me to empty my pockets. I pulled out a bunch of change and my old trusty Case Sod Buster. I told Security I was just an old country boy and always carried my knife. They were not amused, said to get inside I would either have to forfeit my knife or take it outside and hide it somewhere. I stowed it in a flower pot just outside the door thinking it would be gone when we came out. Luckily it was still there when we finished our tour but took me forever to "remember" which pot it was in as there were probably a hundred flower pots and they all looked the same.

Roger Feeley
05-23-2016, 1:52 PM
I have carried a Victorinox Gran Prix since the '80s. They are out of production and the blade configuration fits me so perfectly that I haunted Ebay for a while a built up a small stock of them against loss and breakage. I should be good for life.

The big deal for me is that I don't drink. Many knives of this type include a corkscrew which has no value to me and tends to poke holes in my pocket.

I'm living with my daughter, son-in-law and new grandson. I don't know what I will do when I go to his school with a zero tolerance weapons policy. Don't get me started on that.

Justin Ludwig
05-24-2016, 7:44 PM
Leatherman. I've carried one for 20 years. Feel naked without it.

John Conklin
05-28-2016, 8:41 AM
I received my first knife as a fifth birthday gift from my grandmother. It was removed from my possession shortly after for carving the soul of my shoe, but other than that, have carried on ever since. The first knife I ever bought was when I was 10. The female math teacher I had at the time sold knives at gun shows with her husband. She had a small stainless one at her desk and I asked about it. The conversation got around to me possibly buying one from her and she said that I could as long as I brought the money and a note from my parents saying it was OK. Imagine doing that today! I still have that knife, but don't use it.

I've become even more interested in knives in the last couple years. My son in law is a police officer and also enjoys guns and knives. We've gotten in the habit of gifting each other knives for Christmas and birthdays. I mostly own Boker, Benchmade, and Kershaw knives.

Brian Deakin
06-18-2016, 9:26 AM
I thought members may find the law around Knives in the United Kingdom Interesting

Home (https://www.gov.uk/)
Crime, justice and the law (https://www.gov.uk/browse/justice)
Your rights and the law (https://www.gov.uk/browse/justice/rights)

Buying and carrying knives: the law
The laws about buying and carrying a knife depend on the type of knife, your age and your circumstances.

Basic laws on knivesIt is illegal to:

sell a knife to anyone under 18 (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives) unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.
The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

Good reasons for carrying a knifeExamples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

taking knives you use at work to and from work
taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry

A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.
Banned knivesThere is a ban on the sale of some knives:

flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
disguised knives, eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
gravity knives
sword-sticks
samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
hand or foot-claws
push daggers
hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

This is not a complete list of banned knives. Contact your local police (https://www.gov.uk/contact-police) to check if a knife is illegal.

Last updated: 13 January 2016

Roger Feeley
06-20-2016, 3:20 PM
I'm very fussy about my everyday knife. It's a Victorinox Gran Prix. I like the selection of blades and the fact that it does not have a corkscrew. I have no use for one since I don't drink. I had one with a corkscrew once and it poked holes in my jeans pockets. The Gran Prix has been out of production since the '80s. My wife started watching Ebay some years ago and when a nice one comes up, she buys it for me. I'm pretty much set for life.

Brett Luna
06-20-2016, 4:24 PM
I work in a Government facility where I'm limited on blade length, so I carry a Case Peanut most of the time like many a grampa did. For times when I can or need to carry a larger knife, I also have two from CRKT, the M16-12LE and the M16-14T. I always toss my Victorinox SwissChamp in my camera bag or vest. I don't often carry a multitool my Leatherman but I keep a Gerber MP600 Sight Tool in my range bag.

Rod Sheridan
06-22-2016, 10:41 AM
I carry an Opinel #7 with carbon steel blade.

Of course this can embarrass my children. A few years ago we were in London going into the Victoria and Albert museum when I noticed a sign that knives weren't allowed.

I went to the desk where they bagged and tagged my knife so I could retrieve on my way out of the museum. Apparently this was deeply embarrassing to my 28 year old daughter who gave me a lecture on carrying weapons around with me.

Funny, all this time I thought it was normal to carry a pocket knife, however a survey at work shows that very few men where I work carry a knife..........Interesting, I didn't realize I had become an outlier in society.....Rod.

Daniel Greening
06-22-2016, 1:32 PM
I carry a Benchmade 940 Osborne with the new deep-carry clip or CRKT Liong Mah Journeyer. Typically its the CRKT as Boston has pretty restrictive knife laws and I would be devastated if I lost my 940.

Peter Kelly
06-22-2016, 4:34 PM
I'm on the road most of the time, can't imagine carrying anything beyond my suitcase, laptop, phone, wallet, keys and tape measure. Knives stay at home in either the shop or kitchen.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-23-2016, 7:32 PM
I'm on the road most of the time, can't imagine carrying anything beyond my suitcase, laptop, phone, wallet, keys and tape measure. Knives stay at home in either the shop or kitchen.

I fly a LOT internationally, so I do have to leave the knives home, but on long trips I have been known to buy a knife and upon departure give it away. When I hiked across Spain I bought a knife and when done I shipped it home. Never saw it again.

Leo Graywacz
06-23-2016, 7:51 PM
I only carry a traditional knife when I dress up. But all other times I carry a folding utility knife. For the last 6 years I've had a utility knife I picked up from Tractor Supply. It was solid SS and could hold two extra razors. For years I was looking for a replacement in case I lost it. Tractor Supply no longer stocks the knife and apparently neither does anyone else. I finally settled on the Milwaukee Fastback II. It says it holds a spare, but I've been able to put 2 in there. So it's the equivalent of my old knife holding 3 blades. So far I really like the knife.

I'll be ordering one from Irwin that holds 3 extras and has a hex slot for a screwdriver. You can put any 1" screwdriver tip in there you'd like.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41HoK6%2B2%2BrL.jpg