PDA

View Full Version : Not a turning, but great fun

sascha gast
09-20-2005, 5:03 AM
i milled up a few maple blanks today and had a nice piece left over that wasn't good for a turning, so i tried a little carving today.
i was inspired by a guy named Mike Schwing. he is a great turner and does amazing carvings on many of his pieces, but also has a collection of spoons.
carving took about 2 hours, finish is watco, then just a coat of zinsser french polish and wax.
that was a lot of fun and i finally have a nice idea for many of the leftover pieces i usually get. this was better than just cutting it up into pen blanks.
it was rough cut on the bandsaw and carved with a die grinder and a reciprocating carver, then sanded/refined by hand

thanx guys

sascha

Jeff Sudmeier
09-20-2005, 8:27 AM
Sascha, that really looks great! It looks like it belongs in a display case somewhere!!

Jim Becker
09-20-2005, 8:46 AM
Oh, golly...don't tell me you're next going to start turning and carving "bugs", too??? LOL!!! (For those of you that don't know Mike, he has a series of incredible one-eyed "bug" sculptures that are, um...out of this world)

Seriously, I've always admired these spoon carvings. Nice job! (And a great way to use some of that expensive "scrap" up, too!)

Mark Singer
09-20-2005, 9:37 AM
I really like it!! Beautiful wood too

Glenn Hodges
09-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Beautiful spoon! You can eat around the bush with that one, my sister carves spoons up in Montana. I don't think we are permitted to list websites here but you can look up her site under The Spiral Spoon. This is where I go and turn bowls each summer. I admire your NIP bowls and look forward to more pictures of your work.

Jim Becker
09-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Glenn, you can post the site as long as it's not another forum site.

Glenn Hodges
09-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Sascha, Jim informed me I could post my sister's website which has the spoons which she carves. Here it is if you would like to see it.
http://www.thespiralspoon.com/

Ed Lang
09-20-2005, 12:25 PM
So Glenn, what is Spiral Spoon Snake Oil made with?

Glenn Hodges
09-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I think that is mineral oil and beeswax.