PDA

View Full Version : COREL X8 hits the monitor

Mark Sipes
05-13-2016, 7:50 PM
Corel X8 must be out for release I'm starting to get those pesky popups..

Brian Leavitt
05-16-2016, 2:11 AM
Oh it's definitely out. I've had it for maybe a month and it still doesn't work. Tomorrow one of their techs is supposed to remotely connect to try to fix it. I don't have high hopes. I've got probably 40 messages back and forth with tech support so far. :mad:

John Bion
05-19-2016, 2:47 PM
I would be interested to know some of your issues Brian, and what the techie’s solutions were (if any).
On the whole I have no problem with it EXCEPT that every time I close X8 it tells me it has not closed correctly and wants to send an error report. Then when I re-open, it wants to open all the auto-backups it made from a long distant session when I had plenty of files on the go at the same time. On top of that (unsurprisingly) it does not remember my recent activity. In the greater scheme of things, it is not the end of the world, but is an annoyance.
Kind regards, John

PS: you are braver than I, trying to get help from Corel :(

Brian Leavitt
05-19-2016, 3:34 PM
John,
My problem is with opening files - as in it won't do it. Well - it will for a little while, but then I get a "VGCore" error and it won't open anything after that. Once that happens I have to either re-install the program or go into the AppData folder and delete some things to reset the program, which pretty much makes it like a fresh install as well. After going back and forth with "Tech Support" people who simply run down the same check list over and over again, I finally got in contact with someone from higher-level support. He got a remote connection going with my computer, but essentially did everything I had already done numerous times.

The last time it had stopped working was right after I had changed the print default to "Current page" instead of "Current document" so I tried that again before changing any of the other settings. Sure enough - VGCore error right away. So I emailed the last dude I dealt with at tech support and apparently it's a known issue that if you set the print default to "Current page", the whole program gets FUBAR'd. He said the engineers were working on fixing it. I'm supposed to be getting a notification via email when the fix is pushed out, but we'll see. I'm not even bothering with X8 at all until the fix is available. I have to set the default print options to "Current page". Most of my files are multi-page files and I don't want to take the chance of forgetting to switch it to "Current page" when sending it through to the laser.

John Bion
05-20-2016, 3:21 AM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried to simulate your error, but it did not happen for me :? I had not previously tried this as I export my files as .dxf to the lasers, which only sends the current page (since the print function does not work with my machines in any case).

It does seem as though they released this version way to early. I like CD as a product, but hold the company itself in disdain. Support and customer relations are poor. On the rare occasion that I have had a minor problem with software from elsewhere, all it took was a telephone call to the relevant company and the person I spoke to (in clear English) dealt with the issue quickly and knowledgeably, without running down a checklist that came abruptly to an end without solution.

Perhaps they will just skip to X9 hoping that will clear up the issues :O

Kind Regards, John

Brian Leavitt
05-20-2016, 9:20 AM
Yeah I don't know - maybe it's only with certain system configurations or something, but they made it apparent that I'm not the only one experiencing the problem. With all my lasers, except my Chinese one at home, I print to the laser direct from Corel so this issue is a huge problem for me.