PDA

View Full Version : Cradles Finally Finished - Attention Bruce Page!

Doug Cowan
09-20-2005, 3:19 AM
When our oldest daughter found out she was expecting, she requested that Grandpa build her a cradle. When we went looking for inspiration we found Bruce Page’s fantastic Cherry and Birdseye Maple cradle here on the creek. I was allowed only minor deviations, mainly Fiddleback Maple veneered panels in lieu of Bruce’s raised Birdseye Maple panels. Shortly thereafter we found out that our daughters best friend was due about a week later. So, it's just as easy to make two instead of one, right? :o You guys that do this for a living, meeting deadline after deadline, have my total admiration. In my case as the saying goes, “ the faster I go, the behinder I get”. I think from now on that I will just surprise people. Who knew that babies could be so fast?

Anyway here they are, two cherry and maple cradles, a little late (any later and I would have had to add leg holes). The finish is shellac followed by lacquer. The 2005 California quarters seemed a natural way to commemorate these two brand new California girls Zoe and Sam (Samantha). Thanks for looking and thanks again Bruce.

Vaughn McMillan
09-20-2005, 4:13 AM
Those cradles are great, Doug. Beautiful wood, excellent workmanship, and nice "action shots" to boot.

Well done -

- Vaughn

Frank Pellow
09-20-2005, 7:28 AM
Great cradles! Zoe and Sam certainly seem to ebe enjoying them.

I, too, know what it's like to have to speed up delivery of a creadle due to the early arrival of a baby. A lot of rush work but, in the end, it's really worth the effort.

Jim W. White
09-20-2005, 8:19 AM
Doug,

What a fabulous post! The cradles look awesome!! ...the value of your efforts is really brought out by having the babies in the photos.

PS ..how did you finish these. he figure on the maple really pops ...but it doesn't look like you darkened it much at all?!

...Jim in Idaho

Jeff Sudmeier
09-20-2005, 8:24 AM
Doug, they really look great! I love the grain in that maple!

Jim Becker
09-20-2005, 8:29 AM
Ah, very nice....excellent job!

Earl Reid
09-20-2005, 8:32 AM
Beautiful Babies, nice cradles too, Earl

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Doug.....Fantastic work!

Lee Schierer
09-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Good looking work on the cradles and the contents aren't half bad either. Grandpa will get to do more projects in the future based on how these turned out.

Pete Harbin
09-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Way to go Grandpa! You just added family heirlooms to two different families.
Really nice job on the cradles. That maple rally pops and is a nice subtle contrast with the cherry.

Pete

Martin Lutz
09-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Great Looking Cradles!! I love the contrasting woods and the figure. Nice Work!

John Gregory
09-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Totally awesome

Mike Waddell
09-20-2005, 1:37 PM
Doug -

Great looking family members and projects to boot! I really like the way you used the maple to accent the trestle (sp?). Love that Curly Maple!

My best to the family and their new additions!

Mike

Donnie Raines
09-20-2005, 1:53 PM
Super Cool!!!!

Michael Ballent
09-20-2005, 2:06 PM
Those look great... So what is the next project?

Wes Bischel
09-20-2005, 2:10 PM
Outstanding work Doug! I suspect in 20-25 years they will be occupied again - this time by great grandchildren!!

Wes

Bruce Page
09-20-2005, 2:34 PM
Doug, those turned out beautifully - both the girls and the cradles! Those are definitely heirlooms! It’s a shame that the cradles are only used for a few months before it’s time to put them into a crib, the cradle that I built is currently serving duty as a stuffed animal control center. :rolleyes:
I only had the pressure of one deadline to work under; I can’t imagine the pressure of building two of them! :eek: I liked your comment of adding leg holes!

Doug Cowan
09-20-2005, 4:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Jim W. White - The finish is 2 coats of Zinsser's shellac in a spray can followed by 3 coats of spray lacquer for durability and finally paste wax. I think that the spray on Zinsser is a new product, at least I hadn't seen it before. I like the look of Shellac and this went on fast and easy. Good product.

Michael Ballent - after catching up on a bunch of home improvement projects, I hope to get started on a black walnut chest on chest for our son. The design will be somewhat of a combination of the two done by Norm Abrams. I have an idea for incorporating a hidden compartment, so I am excited at that. I am a bit burned out on deadlines so this one will be done when its done. ;)

Jason Tuinstra
09-20-2005, 7:09 PM
Doug, excellent choice of wood and design. Truly beautiful. I'm a sucker for cherry and figured maple. And it looks like the kids love it too. Congrats! I'm sure these will be passed down for generations to come. Perhaps you could keep a log on the bottom so that the future generations will know who this belonged to. Just a thought. Thanks for sharing.

Randy Moore
09-20-2005, 8:09 PM
Doug, Four absolutely beautiful projects.

LOML saw these and said I want one.:rolleyes: Told her talk to the kids:eek: for part of the projects.

Again BEAUTIFUL.:)

Randy