PDA

View Full Version : Thickness caliper pattern

Ricc Havens
05-12-2016, 2:21 PM
Does anyone have a pattern for thickness calipers they can share? Figure 8 style or other styles for bowl and hollow for shapes? Looking to make some since the budget is too tight to buy some

thanks!
Ricc Havens

Sid Matheny
05-12-2016, 3:09 PM
Rick Hutcheson has some you might want to look at.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheTools.htm

Ricc Havens
05-13-2016, 10:29 AM
thanks Sid! I will check it out.

Anyone else please?

Thanks
Ricc

Brice Rogers
05-13-2016, 12:25 PM
I've used various thickness calipers and they all have limitations somewhere on a hollow form.

Although I still use them for measuring fairly close to the lip, I generally use piece of real stiff wire or a welding rod bent into the shape of a "C". I have one that has 1" in the gap and one that has 1/2" in the gap. When I use the "C", I can easily manually subtract the visual gap from the 1" or 1/2" space.

BTW, this is the same tool that David Ellsworth uses.

Brice Rogers
05-13-2016, 7:33 PM
If you want some ideas for a wood turner caliper, google it and select images. Here is a link that might work:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J7.KYzZXkgUAp6YPxQt.?p=wood+turner +caliper&fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_003&fr2=piv-web&hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&type=csp_tight1_15_26

It is surprising how many variations there are.

Reed Gray
05-13-2016, 9:07 PM
The thick gauge wire, like the stuff on the bottom of cyclone fences, bent to a D shape, with the break on the bottom, not the vertical part, is perfect for the frugal woodturner. Got that one from Dave Ellsworth. I know it is in my video clips some where... Cloths hangers are not quite thick enough, if you can even find wire ones any more...

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
05-13-2016, 10:59 PM
I made a wire one using some aluminum wire, about 1/8" thick and rounded the ends so no scratches. I also have some commercial ones that I use a lot. I do not like the figure 8 calipers, they just do not reach in too many spots.

Leo Van Der Loo
05-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Some metal clothe hanger wire and the cable crimp piece, crimped on the bend part, lets you slide the straight pice back and forth to measure the wall.

Ricc Havens
05-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys!!!