PDA

View Full Version : Which Basic Random Orbit Sander? (Bosch ROS10 vs Dewalt 6421 vs ??)

adam breuer
05-12-2016, 1:51 AM
I find myself needing a basic random orbit sander. I don't need variable speed, but something that is made well and doesn't bog down too easily would be nice. I'm thinking about the:

Bosch ROS10 ~$50
- 2.2a
- has vacuum connection

Dewalt DWE6420 / DWE6421 ~$60
-3.0a
- need to buy vacuum connection

Has anyone tried either or have an opinion? This is the first machine under a couple hundred pounds that I've bought in a couple of years and I'm out of the loop...

Wayne Lomman
05-12-2016, 9:07 AM
Get the DeWalt. It has a bit more power. Could be my bias away from Bosch, however.

That being said, don't lean too hard on a sander anyway - let the paper do the work. Cheers

Bill Ryall
05-12-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm partial to the Bosch products. I have a couple different Bosch 5" ROS and really like them both.

You may also want to look at the Makita BO5041. I just bought one mid-job when my PC vibrated itself to death. Have several hours on it and am very impressed. Powerful, good dust collection and minimal vibration.

Prashun Patel
05-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Both will be fine.

I am also partial to Bosch. I've owned to reconditioned Bosch ROS' and they were great.

However, if i were you I'd get the ROS20VSC. It's about $70 on AMZN, but IMHO worth the extra $20. If you wish to sand between coats of finish with it, being able to dial back the speed is a good thing.

Jim Dwight
05-12-2016, 7:09 PM
I have two DeWalts, a single speed 5 inch and a variable speed 6 inch that looks a bit like an angle grinder. I don't love them but they work fine. I can't slow down either one.

If I was in the market for a sander, I would try to justify the Bosch 1250DEVS. It's a lot more money but the turbo mode gets great reviews (speeds things up). While expensive, it's half the price of the equivalent Festools.

Eric Schmid
05-13-2016, 1:49 AM
Jim, that Bosch is a beast. Not what I would call a basic ROS. Really a two handed sander. I bought one a year or so ago to sand down reclaimed cedar on a jobsite. I left it with one of my less talented help to cleanup some 1x 6. When I got back from running errands he had 50' of it sanded down to 1/2". I guess he was hoping to find some gold in there!

Jim Dwight
05-13-2016, 9:32 AM
Eric,

I agree the Bosch I referenced isn't a basic sander. I really like spending less time sanding so I would try to justify it. I can control my similar DeWalt with one hand but I doubt I can the Bosch in turbo mode. I need to refinish some hardwood floors and am thinking of getting one for edging. If I do, I will at try using it for general use. Festool owners seem to use their Rotex sanders this way but it may not be comfortable.

Jim

Prashun Patel
05-13-2016, 10:23 AM
I was reminded this morning of another reason to have a variable speed ROS: it's difficult to do roundover edges at full speed.

Rich Engelhardt
05-13-2016, 10:30 AM
I have the DWE6421.
It needs a new pad.
@ $24.99 for the pad alone, I'll shortly have a different sander.
I can't see where they come up with a price of nearly half the cost of the sander - - just for the pad.

Nice sander - but - ....

Gary Muto
05-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Another vote for the Bosch model. I don't have or use the DeWalt so I can't say but the Bosch sounds like a better value too,

lowell holmes
05-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Home depot works for me.

Von Bickley
05-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Which ever one that you can get for the best price. I think either one will serve you well......

adam breuer
05-13-2016, 4:13 PM
Both will be fine.

I am also partial to Bosch. I've owned to reconditioned Bosch ROS' and they were great.

However, if i were you I'd get the ROS20VSC. It's about $70 on AMZN, but IMHO worth the extra $20. If you wish to sand between coats of finish with it, being able to dial back the speed is a good thing.

Thank you all for the replies and advice! I took some of your advice and picked up a Bosch ROS20VSC last night at Lowes. I haven't used it yet, but I'll be sanding down a cabinet for finish in the next few days and will update then.

Larry Edgerton
05-13-2016, 5:40 PM
I have the DWE6421.
It needs a new pad.
@ $24.99 for the pad alone, I'll shortly have a different sander.
I can't see where they come up with a price of nearly half the cost of the sander - - just for the pad.

Nice sander - but - ....

Buy a Festool, the pads are three times as much, but they are not half the price of the sander.:p

Larry Edgerton
05-13-2016, 5:46 PM
If I was in the market for a sander, I would try to justify the Bosch 1250DEVS. It's a lot more money but the turbo mode gets great reviews (speeds things up). While expensive, it's half the price of the equivalent Festools.

I just bought one of those. I sanded side by side with the equivalent Festool when the Fasteners guy came around, and I like the Bosch better. It does not pick up dust quite as well, but dam close and it is fast. Vibration is less that my Festool electronic 5". Two of my friends that have tried it have ordered one. Not really cheap, but it feels like a quality tool that will be around a while. I paid $215, the Festool is $360.

adam breuer
05-21-2016, 3:42 AM
I had the chance to put in some hours on the Bosch ROS20VSC I picked up based on a couple of the recommendations here. Wow -- way less vibration and better dust collection than pile of older PC and Dewalt units I used 6 or 7 years ago (last time I used a ROS). I'm really impressed with the machine. Also, thank you all for pushing me to get the variable speed. Slowing it down now and then really cuts down on the noise and gives the arms a rest when I had material to remove (rather than just make smooth).

Bill Jobe
05-21-2016, 4:35 PM
I bought a Milwakee and I'm pretty happy with it. Variable speed, slow startup...not bad for around $30-$35.
I also had to replace the pad on it. Make sure how to treat it if there's no paper on it. Just once laying it on a rough surface with a bare pad means a trip to the store again.