PDA

View Full Version : Festool Rotex RO 90 Multi-Purpose Sander - Good to have or over hyped?

Sam Murdoch
05-11-2016, 8:29 PM
Any one using an RO 90 care to share your thoughts on this tool? I think I could put it to good use but wonder if I'm just dreaming?

Thanks for any comments.

Neil Gaskin
05-11-2016, 9:05 PM
I think it would depend on what and how you work. We use it quite often in our remodeling company however I do not use it often in my personal wood working. If you are sanding parts before assembly it is not really that necessary. If you are dealing with already assembled pieces or working in a house, around existing cabinetry, trim, floors, etc. it is very useful to us.

As with most things "It depends"

Mike Jungers
05-11-2016, 9:14 PM
Not over-hyped at all.I have found it to be the perfect tool for specific applications. It's too small to cover any kind of large area, but for small areas that need aggressive sanding it's perfect. For example, the interior planking:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5819/21413502382_a41bd4b5ec_z_d.jpg

The delta pad was a life saver in the corners. I have also used it with I think 50 grit in rotary mode as a "wood eraser" for shaping small parts instead of an angle grinder. It's capable of fine sanding also but it excels at aggressive sanding. I wouldn't consider using it without a vacuum.

Mike

Sam Murdoch
05-11-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm all set up with several Festool sanders among other Festools - my sustainer stack is pretty tall and of course I have their vac system. Would use the RO90 in my furniture/cabinet shop but also for prepping casings and trim in some remodeling projects - stuff needing work before refinishing. It wouldn't sit idle. Just looking for some validation before spending that kind of money on yet another sander.

Gary Muto
05-11-2016, 11:42 PM
I like my RO90. I think it is a good value with the triangle sander attachment too. It's great for refinishing. I use my ETS 150/3 the most though

David Zaret
05-12-2016, 2:13 PM
i use the RO90 primary for face frames. for that application, it's the best and fastest sander i've used.

Tom Ewell
05-12-2016, 5:23 PM
Don't think the sander is overhyped any more than the rest of the Festool line of sanders, it's just a small rotex/deltex, it definitely has a niche in the lineup.

Jim Dwight
05-12-2016, 7:05 PM
This sander seems to be a serious competitor of the larger rotex sanders but not the 90:

Bosch 1250DEVS

If you need something smaller that still has the aggressive mode and the ability to sand in corners the rotex 90 seems to be the only choice.

Sam Murdoch
05-12-2016, 9:11 PM
Yup - you've all convinced me + I have a job starting that the RO90 is made for.
I ordered one today. I'm sure I will be delighted :)

Thanks for your input folks.

Gary Muto
05-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Enjoy it! you won't regret it. The triangle pad is nice too.

Allan Speers
05-13-2016, 9:01 PM
Mine is my favorite powered tool thatI own. I use it constantly, though mostly with the round pads and in RO mode only.
Those rare time you need the triangle pad, though, there is nothing else...

It's so light and manuverable, I use it a lot for sanding edges & whatnot, when a hand plane is inconvenient or less appropriate. (esp for plywood.)

Jim Dwight
05-14-2016, 2:58 PM
There is a thread on this sander on the FOG (Festool Owners Group) right now with many praising it but some saying it is hard to control. May require two hands.

Sam Murdoch
05-14-2016, 6:38 PM
There is a thread on this sander on the FOG (Festool Owners Group) right now with many praising it but some saying it is hard to control. May require two hands.

That's OK - I've got 2 good hands still. :) I know my RO125 is not a single handed tool.
Thanks - I'll check out the thread.

David Zaret
05-14-2016, 8:26 PM
it is indeed a little hard to control, and takes two hands. the trick i've learned is very light pressure - if you barely push, it's easy to control and still cuts great. if you push on it, it's very hard to keep flat on the surface. i can finish sand a face frame in no time, even with a light pressure. if i start to bear down on it, i'm fighting it.

-- dz

Victor Robinson
05-15-2016, 3:42 AM
I think I like the RO90 in principle more than I like it in practical use. I still like it, just not as much as I think I should.

Balancing it properly does require some getting used to. In random orbit mode, you need a light touch. I often end up fighting the sander and this leaves ugly swirl marks. I don't particularly like using this sander as a finish sander for this reason - would much rather reach for an ETS or DTS if the workpiece allows.

In rotex mode, the sander is awesome. Excellent at stripping or heavy sanding. Also great for polishing with the appropriate abrasives and compounds.

The delta mode is ok, but the pad wears quickly at the corners. If you are going to using the sander heavily with the delta pad, expect to replace the pad often.

Other notes: the sander runs fairly warm. Not uncomfortably so, but noticeably in longer sessions.

David Zaret
05-15-2016, 8:38 AM
victor in general i agree with you, but i will say that once you have that technique, for face frames, the thing is amazing. i can do a kitchen's worth of face frames, from glue-up to finish sanded in a few hours max, and with no damage to the edges or corners. this application alone makes the sander worth it, imho. it's one of many "specialized" sanders i have - for detail work, i find it fast and efficient, if not a little finicky at times....

Tom Ewell
05-15-2016, 8:44 AM
The delta mode is ok, but the pad wears quickly at the corners. If you are going to using the sander heavily with the delta pad, expect to replace the pad often..
Agree with the corner wear, when I first started using the thing I was a little put off over the same thing. Once I made the effort to lighten up on the touch , kept rotating the pad/paper, focusing on using the edges of the triangle where I could rather than the points and cycling through paper more frequently it was 'bearable'. Picked up a few extra pads to keep handy as well.

Seems to me that the very nature of delta/detail sanders lends to excessive wear at the points of the pads, had same problem using the DTS, Fein Multimaster and even a little borrowed B&D 'Mouse' which had barely enough power to wear down the paper.

The thing also uses a belt from the motor in the rear to the gearbox forward, interesting configuration to allow for ergonomics I suppose.

Sam Murdoch
05-15-2016, 8:46 AM
I think I like the RO90 in principle more than I like it in practical use. I still like it, just not as much as I think I should.

Balancing it properly does require some getting used to. In random orbit mode, you need a light touch. I often end up fighting the sander and this leaves ugly swirl marks. I don't particularly like using this sander as a finish sander for this reason - would much rather reach for an ETS or DTS if the workpiece allows.

In rotex mode, the sander is awesome. Excellent at stripping or heavy sanding. Also great for polishing with the appropriate abrasives and compounds.

The delta mode is ok, but the pad wears quickly at the corners. If you are going to using the sander heavily with the delta pad, expect to replace the pad often.

Other notes: the sander runs fairly warm. Not uncomfortably so, but noticeably in longer sessions.

This is my expectations Victor which is why I have put off purchasing one of these. I have the RO125 and an ETS 150/3 and though the RO is touted as capable of running the full range of sanding right through finishing - I don't even try going that far with it anymore. Yeah it can but ...

The RO is an excellent multipurpose sander but especially good at aggressive work (I gave up belt sanders with the RO in the shop). I'm thinking that the RO90 will be used much the same way on smaller faced work. Will come in real handy I'm sure for prepping old painted window and door casings and other trim coming up soon. This job pushed me off my RO90 reluctance.