PDA

View Full Version : Blue Pine bowl

mike ash
05-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Several years ago I picked up some Ponderosa Pine with blue stain caused by the tree reacting to the fungus of the pine beetle. I have finished several bowls without any accent, and thought I would add a little to this one. This is a 13" x 5" bowl with an inlay accent of maple and walnut sandwiched between thin layers of bubinga. Minwax poly wipe on, buffed and waxed. This will be the raffle item for an upcoming club banquet.
C&C always welcomed.

Prashun Patel
05-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Apart from the obvious, I'll say I'm very impressed with your finish - especially on that end grain. Very nice.

Dok Yager
05-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Nicely done Mike.

Doug Herzberg
05-12-2016, 8:12 AM
My hat is off to you, Mike. It must have been quite a sanding challenge with the hardwood inlay in the soft pine bowl, which can be difficult all on it's own.

mike ash
05-12-2016, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the comments. Doug is correct, in that sanding where great differences in hardnesses exist, is problematic. Pine sands too easily and removes great amounts of material, plus you get different results between the end grain and the side grain. Sharp tools, with very light cuts keeps sanding down to a minimum.

Mike