PDA

View Full Version : Interested in getting a lathe - need help

Michael Cole
05-10-2016, 11:10 PM
I am interested in getting a lathe. Grizzly seems to be in my price range. They have several models: 0462, 0776, 0773, 0632. Would like to be able to do some things like table legs, etc that are a little bigger and maybe some bowls in the future. What can you tell me about any of these? I live in Western Montana so there is not a lot of used available. I have requested info on two on craigslist, one a local 14” jet and the other a Delta 1642 from Goldendale, WA which is probably close to 500 miles away. Neither have responded, so I guess they are sold or the owners are not that interested in selling.

brian zawatsky
05-11-2016, 12:26 AM
I started with a Jet 1221vs, and just recently (like a week ago) took delivery of a Grizzly G0766. So far I love it. Has 22" of swing for large bowls and something like 42" between centers I think. Also purchased an HTC 125 chuck from Hurricane turning tools and honestly I couldn't be happier with them both.

Brian Kent
05-11-2016, 12:39 AM
My recommendations - No on the 0462. The Reeves Drive (mechanical speed control) can be problematic, based on other people's experience. I have a midi lathe with Electronically Variable Speed control. I wouldn't be without it.

0632 - No reason to get this when a much better lathe is a little more.
0733 - Good reports, but more expensive than the 0766, which is the one I am planning on getting. The only advantage is the slightly longer bed.

0766 - My recommendation, based of reviews and feedback here. This is most likely my next lathe. The only weakness for some people is the height. The center height is almost 48". I am six feet tall and I look forward to having 1.5" higher than my current lathe. I think this is the right height for me. A turner who is 5'8" finds this one too high. I do not know how much I would want to be standing on a platform unless it was wide enough never to step off.

brian zawatsky
05-11-2016, 12:44 AM
I'm 5'10" and the height is perfectly comfortable as far as I'm concerned.

Michael Cole
05-11-2016, 2:20 PM
! am about 5'11", but shrinking with age! I would imagine the height should be okay, but it is certainly something to consider.

Thom Sturgill
05-11-2016, 2:35 PM
! am about 5'11", but shrinking with age! I would imagine the height should be okay, but it is certainly something to consider.

I'm 5'7 and that lathe is too tall! Get a couple of the Harbor Freight anti-fatigue mats and place around the machine and at 5'11 you should be fine. You can stack them as needed (I have three layers at my Jet 1642.) With the new banjo and tool rest it is a good machine from what I can tell. Our club bought one for demos, but it has not seen much use yet.

Jamie Straw
05-11-2016, 3:21 PM
[Edit: Ooops, I didn't realize the G0766 was in your price range, so disregard this message if you'd like] Michael, if you're planning to do mostly spindle stuff, and not-too-big bowls, you might want to consider the lathe I just ordered -- the Nova Comet II (which has a bed extension available). I've had a Jet 1236, which has the Reeves drive mentioned earlier. Decided I wanted electronic variable speed and reverse, when I asked here and at AAW, the Comet got excellent reviews from several people who have owned them or used them with their clubs, and I have had excellent customer service from Teknatool, so I feel comfortable dealing with them. It's available on Amazon now with a G3 chuck, for $529.99 and free shipping for Prime members. PM me if you would like to see the comments on AAW forum, or just go there and look in the Main Forum. Here's the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-46301-Comet-Variable-Silver/dp/B00ZF8Y6ZM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
''

Roger Chandler
05-11-2016, 4:50 PM
I am 5' 11" and my G0766 is just fine for my height. I do have an anti-fatigue mat that I stand on, but had that on every lathe previously as well. Just something that helps the old feet from becoming too weary on a long turning session, but does raise you up a bit.

Dok Yager
05-11-2016, 8:51 PM
I too say the G0766 as I love mine and the more I use it the more I like it. Good bang for the buck! I had to get mine a little taller but I`m 6'4" so.

Brice Rogers
05-11-2016, 10:28 PM
I'm 5'10" or so and the G0766 lathe is a bit too high for me. It is causing me some shoulder issues. I'm considering building a platform for me to stand on but am concerned about tripping onto it or off of it.

I have also considered sawing off the bottom of the legs :eek: and fabricating something for the pad feet. I'm wondering if anyone has sawed off the legs of their G0766 ?? I suppose that another alternative would be to just build a somewhat shorter bench for the bed to sit on to at least try out a lower height.

Dick Strauss
05-12-2016, 9:03 AM
Don't even consider the Jet 14" lathe...it has the same problematic pot metal reeves drive as many others. If it is older version, it also has a motor that might interfere with platters. The Jet 1642 is in a completely different and better class of lathes.

William C Rogers
05-12-2016, 4:56 PM
The G0766 is a great value. At 48" it would be too high for me at 5'9", but some mats may solve that. The other thing to consider is the banjo is 25mm and Grizzly doesn't offer any different kinds of tool rest. Many have had their banjo machined out do they will accept 1" post so other maker tool rest could be used.

Troy Faccio
05-12-2016, 8:47 PM
GO766 is the way to go. I'm 5'6" and standing on about 5" stand made out of 4x4's and 2 - 2x4's nailed on the bottom ends which is holding them all together. That being said it tells me 5'11" is most likely the target height.

Troy Faccio
05-12-2016, 8:55 PM
The banjo can be bored or honed out to eliminate that issue.

Roger Chandler
05-12-2016, 9:19 PM
GO766 is the way to go. I'm 5'6" and standing on about 5" stand made out of 4x4's and 2 - 2x4's nailed on the bottom ends which is holding them all together. That being said it tells me 5'11" is most likely the target height.Troy...there is a Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] with 174 other members, and I would like to extend to you an invitation to join other Grizzly lathe owners as a support group. You can find it under the community tab at the top of the page....click it, then you will see the group.

Michael Cole
05-12-2016, 10:26 PM
I have been watching videos and googling lots of things and came across the Nova 1624-44 lathe. Any opinions on it?

Roger Chandler
05-12-2016, 10:28 PM
Decent lathe, but not in the same league as the G0766 Grizzly.......the G0766 is in the class of the PM3520b only just a tad larger swing with 22" and 3 hp.

Robert Willing
05-13-2016, 10:22 AM
I sold mine and bought the Grizzly G0766 and love it. My Nova also had the DVR upgrade as well, but my G0766 is better.

Troy Faccio
05-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Troy...there is a Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] with 174 other members, and I would like to extend to you an invitation to join other Grizzly lathe owners as a support group. You can find it under the community tab at the top of the page....click it, then you will see the group.

Done! And thanks for the invite.