PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the PSI or Rockler tool posts?

Jamie Straw
05-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Specifically asking about the cheap Robust knock-offs that they make. Since the new Comet lathe takes 5/8" posts, I'll have to get all new tool rests.:( I've used the Robust on another lathe, and love it, but not in the budget right now. Rockler's look pretty nice, PSI's have rather sloppy-looking welds in the pictures, but their less expensive. Would be interested in first-hand reports! Thanks.

Roger Chandler
05-10-2016, 10:54 PM
Specifically asking about the cheap Robust knock-offs that they make. Since the new Comet lathe takes 5/8" posts, I'll have to get all new tool rests.:( I've used the Robust on another lathe, and love it, but not in the budget right now. Rockler's look pretty nice, PSI's have rather sloppy-looking welds in the pictures, but their less expensive. Would be interested in first-hand reports! Thanks.

I have one on my Delta 46-460 midi lathe. It is a 10" Rockler, and I like it a lot. The only thing is that it has this rubberized plastic coating on the post, and that gets buggered up with the screw to tighten the rest, but overall, I like it better than the rests that came with my Delta midi.......pretty much the same lathe as the Nova Comet 2 if I recall correctly[?] It is an upgrade from the factory supplied rest that came with my midi. because it uses a hardened drill rod like the Robust, and of course is a good bit less expensive as you can see.

John K Jordan
05-11-2016, 8:44 AM
Jamie,

I can't help with your specific question but if on a budget you might consider making some tool rests, especially if you have a friend who welds or if you can weld. A simple rest is practically trivial to make and even a fancier rest would be easy. I made one for a Jet 1642 and another for a Jet mini that I carry around on occasion, mostly to get a longer rest so I could turn a magic wand on the mini without moving the shorter rest. (BTW, the last time I did this kids waited in line to watch me make theirs - a great way to introduce kids to turning!)

I think the last tool rest I made probably used about 50 cents worth of steel.

I see from your profile you are a long walk from Tennessee or I would invite to to stop by and we could make a rest and have a welding lesson if desired! (Last time I was in your corner of the country was for a week at Microsoft University, maybe 30 years ago!)

JKJ

Ralph Lindberg
05-11-2016, 11:28 AM
We have a full set of the PSI clones of the Robust style on the small Jet, both of us prefer them the factory rest

Jamie Straw
05-11-2016, 3:59 PM
I have one on my Delta 46-460 midi lathe. It is a 10" Rockler, and I like it a lot. The only thing is that it has this rubberized plastic coating on the post, and that gets buggered up with the screw to tighten the rest, but overall, I like it better than the rests that came with my Delta midi.......pretty much the same lathe as the Nova Comet 2 if I recall correctly[?] It is an upgrade from the factory supplied rest that came with my midi. because it uses a hardened drill rod like the Robust, and of course is a good bit less expensive as you can see.
Roger, is it the PSI or the Rockler? They appear to be quite different from each other.

Jamie Straw
05-11-2016, 4:04 PM
Jamie,

I can't help with your specific question but if on a budget you might consider making some tool rests, especially if you have a friend who welds or if you can weld. A simple rest is practically trivial to make and even a fancier rest would be easy. I made one for a Jet 1642 and another for a Jet mini that I carry around on occasion, mostly to get a longer rest so I could turn a magic wand on the mini without moving the shorter rest. (BTW, the last time I did this kids waited in line to watch me make theirs - a great way to introduce kids to turning!)

I think the last tool rest I made probably used about 50 cents worth of steel.

I see from your profile you are a long walk from Tennessee or I would invite to to stop by and we could make a rest and have a welding lesson if desired! (Last time I was in your corner of the country was for a week at Microsoft University, maybe 30 years ago!)

JKJ
Thanks, John, the only friend (actually step-son) I have who welds is up to his neck in family life. One of our club members showed me a tool rest that Schweitzer used to make which has a curved post so there's a nice place to curl your index finger when doing fine spindle or box work, and a round-rod top. Nice rest! but I guess it was pretty time-consuming to make. I'm no metal worker or welder, so will have to make do with what I can afford to buy.:)

Roger Chandler
05-11-2016, 4:47 PM
Roger, is it the PSI or the Rockler? They appear to be quite different from each other.

I have the Rockler 10" rest ......as I mentioned in the previous post.....:D

Ralph Lindberg
05-11-2016, 7:21 PM
Thanks, John, the only friend (actually step-son) I have who welds is up to his neck in family life. One of our club members showed me a tool rest that Schweitzer used to make which has a curved post so there's a nice place to curl your index finger when doing fine spindle or box work, and a round-rod top. Nice rest! but I guess it was pretty time-consuming to make. I'm no metal worker or welder, so will have to make do with what I can afford to buy.:)

Jamie, I'm fairly certain Dave turned the tool-post product over to a shop to make and sell, last I heard they still were doing that.

Brian Brown
05-11-2016, 7:53 PM
I have had 2 different tool rests from PSI. They are not the one you mention with the hardened steel. Both had sloppy welds, and broke almost immediately. PSI had me send them back, told me there was nothing they could do, then wouldn't send the pieces back so I could have them welded somewhere else. Not the best customer service.

Jamie Straw
05-11-2016, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I try not to buy things from PSI, and am always skeptical -- I bought there 3-on-1 buffing system (Beall knock-off) and it was a horrible piece of *&#, the threaded end was threaded all the way into where it would enter the Morse taper on the headstock! Fortunately, I bought it off Amazon, so it was no big deal to send it back.