PDA

View Full Version : New tool, works well

Mac McQuinn
05-10-2016, 4:49 PM
I received a "Stanley SharpCut", 20" hand saw a week or so ago. It's a #20-527, "Smoothcut" model. I've been wanting to pick up a 20" saw and this one works well imo. I had a couple small projects, one which involved cutting a 15" x 29" piece out of (5) layer Baltic birch ply. I founds the saw very easy to control in both rip and cross cut mode and it left a very smooth cut. I ran a plane over the cut edges a couple times and it was ready to install. I found my shoulder readily found the 90 degree cut line and I was done in no time. The odd thing is the sound I heard, a handsaw makes a distinctive sound, something not heard often in my neck of the woods, "I think it'll cut".
Mac

Frederick Skelly
05-10-2016, 5:33 PM
Thanks for the review Mac!

Keith Downing
05-10-2016, 6:28 PM
Pictures are always a huge plus when describing and reviewing tools, especially new models! :)

John Lankers
05-10-2016, 7:38 PM
Google is your friend
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-20-527-20-Inch-12-Points-SharpTooth/dp/B00076OCAG

mark kosse
05-10-2016, 8:12 PM
I received a "Stanley SharpCut", 20" hand saw a week or so ago. It's a #20-527, "Smoothcut" model. I've been wanting to pick up a 20" saw and this one works well imo. I had a couple small projects, one which involved cutting a 15" x 29" piece out of (5) layer Baltic birch ply. I founds the saw very easy to control in both rip and cross cut mode and it left a very smooth cut. I ran a plane over the cut edges a couple times and it was ready to install. I found my shoulder readily found the 90 degree cut line and I was done in no time. The odd thing is the sound I heard, a handsaw makes a distinctive sound, something not heard often in my neck of the woods, "I think it'll cut".
Mac

i have half half a dozen at work. They do cut nicely. They'll never replace my classics but I'm thinking of buying one for home to do things that I don't want the nice saws to do. Partly American made too.

Mac McQuinn
05-11-2016, 12:30 AM
Pictures are always a huge plus when describing and reviewing tools, especially new models! :)

Keith,
Here you go. I'm not sure if it's a new model or not though. BTW, was on sale for around $15+ tax. Seems to look different than the one shown in Amazon ad.
Mac

Mac McQuinn
05-11-2016, 3:27 PM
I fully realize, I have a 1890's Diston once owned by my Great Grandfather and only use it occasionally. The 20"er is something useful for quick and dirty projects, something I seem to to be doing a lot of lately.
Mac