PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Ceramic Tile

Scott Welty
05-10-2016, 8:58 AM
I have a job to install some shelving in a beauty shop. The wall in question is ceramic tile. I think the cylindrical anchors (no lip) would work but what drill bit for drilling the tile and not cracking it? Shelf will be about 7 feet long and 6 inches wide but only holding some plastic bottles so not a huge load.

Scott

Mike Cutler
05-10-2016, 9:07 AM
Scott

Any tile supply store will have bits your looking for, even a big box store will have them.
I personally like the core bore style bit more so than the solid angle tipped bit, but have used both with success. DeWalt makes some nice bits and so does Bosch.
I made a dam out of plumbers putty when I drilled into the wall in my shower and kept if full of water. Drill at a reasonable RPM and don't lean into it and you should be fine.
The only concern I would have is not knowing what the substrate material behind the tile is. That may effect your anchor choice.

Tom Ewell
05-10-2016, 9:37 AM
Usually go with these for the smaller holes, easy to control and no need for 'impact' drilling to dry cut through ceramic, use low rpm until tile is cut through.
Core style for larger holes as mentioned above

Jay Nossen
05-10-2016, 10:07 AM
I've tried every type of drill bit for ceramic tile, but eventually settled on standard masonry bits in progression (e.g. to drill a half inch hole start with 1/8" then 3/8", then 1/2" bit). Fastest overall method I've found.

Mikail Khan
05-10-2016, 10:29 AM
I use regular carbide tipped SDS bits and only go to hammer mode after passing through the tile.

MK

Ellen Benkin
05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Start with the drill in reverse to make a "divot" so that the tip doesn't wander.

Mike Ontko
05-10-2016, 1:24 PM
All of the recommendations above plus: apply gentle pressure only--don't force it.

Randy Viellenave
05-10-2016, 6:15 PM
I use these, they make nice clean edge holes and will also do glass.
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko%C2%AE-00823A-Diamond-Coating-5-Piece/dp/B00ODSS5NO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I use a piece of wood with a hole the size of the bit for alignment, then once it is started just set the bit into the depression, and lube and drill.