PDA

View Full Version : Working with slabs?

Zuye Zheng
05-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Not neander specific but looking to build an outdoor redwood slab table (probably with mostly hand tools though) around 2-3" thick and looking for some advice. Looked into prices and around 2-3x more for a dried piece and was wondering if I could get away with a fresh cut piece to my dimensions especially for outdoor furniture?

Also entering the "dry" season in SF so curious if I can just tarp it when not in use and let it dry outside after being built and spar urethane at the end of the year (or can I do it earlier)? Not too worried about minor checking, can add some butterfly keys later to make it more "rustic" aka Pinterest approved.

Will it work? How bad of an idea is it?

george wilson
05-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Wood does not stay flat while it dries,unless it is restrained as it is in a kiln,by being stacked properly.

No telling how your top will move or warp as it dries. It might be o.k.,or might not.

Bill McDermott
05-11-2016, 5:49 PM
As George says, it;s a gamble. But when you put your money on (in) the table, you can hedge your bet. If you leave it standing on its legs, outside, under a tarp, you will want to at the very least keep spacers between the table top and the tarp to allow air to circulate freely on both the top and bottom of the slab until you decide it's dry enough to seal up. Fun project. That will be cool when finished. Anyway, it's rustic outdoor furniture, so some warping is not the end of the world.

Kees Heiden
05-12-2016, 1:50 AM
Most flatsawn wood cups considerably when drying. Add a bit of twist usually. You might end up with a table with only two legs on the ground.