PDA

View Full Version : Material Suggestion

Daniel O'Neill
05-09-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm building an entry bench out of black walnut. It's going to be like a piano bench where the lid opens up and I am looking for suggestions as to what to put on the bottom of this "tray." My first thought is that it would be nice if it was all hardwood but since this is my first project I'm not sure how long this will be around :eek: before I have to rebuild it lol. My other idea was to get a piece of ply and put it in there. I'd like to make it look similar to BW if possible. Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks
Daniel

Jim Becker
05-09-2016, 10:31 AM
1/2" plywood floating in grooves (not glued) would be my first choice for this application and walnut veneer plywood (or applied by you) would take care of the "look".

Shawn Pixley
05-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Personally, I would do what Jim suggests. If not that, a bottom of T&G boards with enough room to move with the humidity would be a second choice.

Mel Fulks
05-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Another idea that would work and add more space would be to make a cloth, leather, or Naugahyde (NOT an endangered color!) liner that would hang down below the rails. That would give more space, obviate the movement issue and be quite distinctive. The amount of exposed material is totally a matter of personal taste. If you have not seen any examples look at pics of Federal period "work tables".

Daniel O'Neill
05-09-2016, 2:41 PM
Great ideas & advice! Thanks guys. I'll probably order some plywood but I like your idea too Mel I bet my wife would like it better.

Stan Calow
05-09-2016, 5:43 PM
I have a similar project in the works, and planned to use plywood with a leather lining on the inside. Never considered solid panel for something that wide.

Lou Ortiz
05-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Just a thought, but i would consider putting in an interior box attached to the aprons, otherwise you'll have gaps in dealing with the inside corners of the legs. You could rabbit in a plywood bottom. That would be easier than cutting in the joints and give you a smooth tight finish. you could use a nice contrasting secondary wood as well.

David Linnabary
05-10-2016, 8:21 AM
For an interesting twist, you might find some wire mesh baskets to drop in from the top. If they showed below the rails it would make for a nice accent to the piece overall. The air flow would be practical for throwing gloves, hats, etc.

David

Daniel O'Neill
05-10-2016, 8:23 AM
For an interesting twist, you might find some wire mesh baskets to drop in from the top. If they showed below the rails it would make for a nice accent to the piece overall. The air flow would be practical for throwing gloves, hats, etc.

David

I like that idea a lot. I ordered plywood last night from the big orange. The local Hardwood supplier didn't have any and it would have taken the same amount of time and I still would have had to pick it up. Even if by the same principle as the plywood I could do some welded wire mesh. Rust would be an issue though if a wet hat or glove sits on it.

Thanks for the idea!

David Linnabary
05-10-2016, 8:58 AM
I like that idea a lot. I ordered plywood last night from the big orange. The local Hardwood supplier didn't have any and it would have taken the same amount of time and I still would have had to pick it up. Even if by the same principle as the plywood I could do some welded wire mesh. Rust would be an issue though if a wet hat or glove sits on it.

Thanks for the idea!

I think it would help give the piece some contrast and help break it up visually as would an upholstered seat. Also most of the things we build need to appeal to the women in our lives and baskets are kinda trendy right now, you can find a lot of sources out there, many sizes, styles and finishes. Google wire mesh basket. Get your wife into on the design process.

David