PDA

View Full Version : Facebook teasers

Ole Anderson
05-09-2016, 9:01 AM
Ok, I will admit that I frequent my Facebook pages. What is so annoying is all of the teaser posts that leave you wanting more. You click on the post "10 best train wrecks" you just have to see them. But they load so slow, what with all of the attendant pop-up ads, you finally give up before before even the first one has a chance to load. Arrgh. And I have a 150 mbps internet connection. I wonder, is it my computer, or do the folks that post these just lust for the money the ads will bring in, and never even try to view their own content? I do note that sometimes I have better luck viewing them on my phone.

Matt Day
05-09-2016, 9:57 AM
Are you talking about the advertising pictures at the bottom of a lot of webpages that celebrity pictures and such? Probably not the best idea to be clicking on them; likely sources of viruses and malware.

Jim Becker
05-09-2016, 10:23 AM
While you (and I) may have 150mbps connections, the source of the material may be on a far slower connection. And their heavy advertising format also contributes to the slowness as all those ads are served from multiple places "out there", too. I do agree with Matt that one must take care. Most of the "10 best whatevers" from BuzzFeed and the like are usually "safe", but there are a lot of teaser things on FB and other social media that harbor nefarious things.

Steve Peterson
05-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Is their primary goal to load malware to your machine? Or is it the advertising revenue from showing so many ads? There certainly seems to be a lot of those types of web pages, so they must be after something. They are exceptionally slow on my machine with a 6mbps connection.

Steve

ron david
05-09-2016, 11:29 AM
it is more than likely to entice you to part with your money by viewing the ads and it is more than likely not train wrecks that they are using to attract your attention
ron

Dave Lehnert
05-10-2016, 12:01 AM
Same here.

What I would like to know, why do they keep you clicking to next page when they could post all "10 best train wrecks" on one page?

ron david
05-10-2016, 12:35 AM
so you get to see the adds over again.

Jim Koepke
05-10-2016, 2:08 PM
I have heard it called "click bait." When I was a young man, way before the internet was imagined, some of us guys would see a young lady walk by and someone would say, "that's jail bait." Jail bait and click bait, two things to avoid.

In the San Francisco area underage women were often referred to as, "San Quentin Qual," a mashup reference to the local state prison and the state bird.

jtk

Myk Rian
05-10-2016, 7:40 PM
I have heard it called "click bait."
That's exactly what it is.