PDA

View Full Version : An oily mess

Justin Edmonds
05-09-2016, 8:00 AM
This is kinda unique, and I need some help. I have been trying to recycle used motor oil from the mower and tractors but can't really find a place to take it. Well, one of the bottles sprung a leak and got all over some wood. The pine 1x6 I'm not worried about. However, it got over my cocobolo. What can I do to salvage the wood if anything. No clue how long it's had to soak in.

Charles Lent
05-09-2016, 9:12 AM
I believe that most States require that locations who sell significant amounts of motor oil be capable of also accepting used oil. Every one of the auto parts stores, and even Walmart here accept the oil for recycling. The recycling center is not out where you can easily see it, but if you ask, they will show you it's location and allow you to to return it. Ask before bringing the oil into the store, as it's usually somewhere in the back or outside. You may be limited to returning 10 gallons max each visit.

I doubt that you will ever get your wood completely clean since oil soaks into most wood. A frequent cleaning with mineral spirits may remove enough to make it acceptable.

Charley

Wes Ramsey
05-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Much of the rough-sawn wood I use is stored in barn next to the tractors at our farm and we have many jugs of used oil for lubricating various old tools and implements. Over the years things get set on the stacks and most of the ones on top have at least SOME oil on them. I don't recall any big spills, but it doesn't soak in too far on oak, walnut or cherry. I haven't had any trouble planing the oil spots off anyway. If the piece is particularly valuable you might go ahead and plane it down far enough to get the oil-soaked wood off so it doesn't soak in further.

Mark Kanof
05-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Agreed with Wes Ramsey that it's worth a try to plane off the oil stains. I recently got a new hand plane, and when taking it out of the box, I was standing at a cherry desk that I built and finished with an oil finish. I thought, hmm, I'll try taking a very fine shaving off of the desk top. Strange thing to do maybe, but what I discovered was that after taking off a very small amount of wood, it appears that I'm down to raw wood where the oil did not penetrate.

Jeff Ramsey
05-11-2016, 7:05 AM
I take mine to the service/gas station that works on our cars. They heat their two shops with used motor oil, so it's free fuel for them. Maybe try calling around to see if any will take it. If they don't heat with it, they certainly have a recycling chain for the used oil that they have.

Jim Riseborough
05-11-2016, 7:12 AM
Put on Craigslist, folks who heat with used oil will pick it up

Justin Edmonds
05-11-2016, 7:35 AM
Alright. Thanks! Any idea on how to salvage the lumber? I'm more concerned about the cocobolo. That stuff is kinda pricey.

Jim Riseborough
05-11-2016, 7:46 AM
What about some dawn or oxi clean and just get it good and wet and clamp a absorbent towel in the middle, see if it pulls some out

Rick Johnston
05-11-2016, 8:25 AM
Sponge out like you would carpet stain with acetone. Don't forget gloves and ventilation.

Prashun Patel
05-11-2016, 10:53 AM
To clean your cocobolo, I would first wipe it as clean as you can with mineral spirits. Then I would use soap and water. Applying heat to the wood - use caution - can cause oil to squeeze out as well. The best solvents for oil are mineral spirits or soapy water.

Then I would plane or sand down the top. You will be surprised how poorly oil penetrates the face grain.

Joe Spear
05-11-2016, 1:57 PM
Our local DPW facility accepts used motor oil. I just put it in old motor oil or windshield washer jugs and drop it off.